Blur fan first and foremost or Damon Albarn fan?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Re: Blur fan first and foremost or Damon Albarn fan?

Post by Mark72 » 31 Jul 2020, 09:34

Blur fan since 1993.
I do follow the band's side projects as well.
Demon Days and Merrie Land are My Favourites of Damon's and The Spinning Top and Happiness are My favourite Graham albums.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 31 Jul 2020, 20:28

I'm very pleased to see some retrospective Merrie Land praise, that album was perfect.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 31 Jul 2020, 20:51

I mean, Damon has been one of my idols since childhood, but I don't follow his solo career that closely in all honesty. I'm a Blur fan first and foremost.

blurfansince97

Post by blurfansince97 » 01 Aug 2020, 15:39

Blur for sure. I had heard "Clint Eastwood" years ago, and I didn't care for it. At the time I didn't know that Damon was behind the Gorillaz, but I really haven't heard anything by them that I like. I have heard a couple of albums by them, and they're not my thing at all. I haven't had any interest in Damon's other projects either, although I do like the song "Everyday robots". I have had more of an interest in Graham's solo career, and I think his recent soundtracks are great, but other than that, I feel his work is a bit uneven (some great stuff, and some not so great). I know that Alex and Dave have also done some stuff on their own, but I haven't listened to any of it.

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 03 Aug 2020, 21:31

Blur, without a doubt.
I always feel slightly disappointed when i learn that Gorillaz will put out a new record or start a new project.
There are amazing moments in TGTBTQ, Gorillaz, Graham Coxon's records etc, but nothing could beat that feeling i had when i first heard Go Out or when Blur Reunion in 2009 was everywhere in the news
Blur blur blur

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 Aug 2020, 08:07

Simon le bon wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 21:31
I always feel slightly disappointed when i learn that Gorillaz will put out a new record or start a new project.
I got over that years ago but I know what you mean, Damon has done well to merge from being in blur full time to being in Gorillaz full time. He had us super fans convinced for a long time that blur were always number one, at least he openly admits he doesn't want to be a front man anymore

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 04 Aug 2020, 20:02

Blur is my favorite band, so always first. Damon and Gorillaz, meh they're aight.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 06 Aug 2020, 04:09

tbh I'm pretty content with Blur. I never thought I'd get to experience a new album cycle and it was a hope to see them live. Comeback albums are usually pretty naff – keep the memory of your band as they were, youthful and a product of its time.

Gorillaz have been pretty shitey for me since about Demon Days, which I think is his finest full record. But every so often he bobs up with a corker like Aries. I dunno, but not many people can put out a lot of music and keep it to a high quality. If he's diluting a legacy, I'd rather it be Gorillaz than a bunch of boring Blur songs.

Dizzzy

Post by Dizzzy » 06 Aug 2020, 04:21

Everything damon makes is amazing, his solo blur gorillaz thegoodbadqueen everything. but blur will always have a special place in my heart so im not sure!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 06 Aug 2020, 16:40

blurfansince97 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 15:39
Blur for sure. I had heard "Clint Eastwood" years ago, and I didn't care for it.
I might actually like Clint Eastwood more than any Blur song. Or at least I have a very special attachment to it.

In my opinion the first three Gorillaz albums are fantastic, up there with any Blur album.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Aug 2020, 18:39

I am a Blur fan first and foremost. Damon is the leader of the 'Blur family' but Graham, Alex and Dave bring important ingredients to their success, as do those involved in Gorillaz and TGTG&TQ projects.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 07 Aug 2020, 09:19

I tend to regard Damon's non Blur projects in the same way I regard the various solo albums of the members of the Beatles. Arguably, Demon Days, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass are as good as anything Damon, John and George released with Blur and the Beatles - they are least worthy of being spoken of in the same breath. But for me, the work of Blur (like the Beatles) has a certain magical quality resulting from the synthesis of the members which elevates it above and beyond the sum of its parts. Graham in particular was the perfect foil for Damon's song writing in the same way that Paul and John were the perfect foil for each other's art.

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Aug 2020, 10:39

I'm going to sound a little controversial but have damon's vocals on graham's guitar work had it's day? the bastille vocals feat graham coxon sounds so much fresher than anything we've heard from blur in the last decade

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 08 Aug 2020, 20:46

stephen wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 10:39
I'm going to sound a little controversial but have damon's vocals on graham's guitar work had it's day? the bastille vocals feat graham coxon sounds so much fresher than anything we've heard from blur in the last decade
I don't think so. The Magic Whip might not be the best Blur album out there but the Damon/Graham combo was as effective as ever.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 09 Aug 2020, 07:53

Blur>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gorillaz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Damon Solo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything else