Blur fan first and foremost or Damon Albarn fan?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Vorsprung

Blur fan first and foremost or Damon Albarn fan?

Post by Vorsprung » 25 Jul 2020, 23:36

I’m curious as to how many members here would say they are a blur fan first and foremost or rather consider themselves a Damon Albarn fan?

Despite my love of all of Damon’s side projects I’d say I’m a blur fan first.

vitekm

Re: Blur fan first and foremost or Damon Albarn fan?

Post by vitekm » 26 Jul 2020, 09:21

As a Blur fan since mid-nineties, I must say I´m a Blur fan first, though I love Gorillaz and TGTBTQ too. But I´m also much bigger fan of Graham Coxon solo stuff than some of other Damon´s stuff. To those dissapointed or just bored by Damon´s ongoing involvement with Gorillaz, I would strongly recomend to delve into Graham´s recent work, at least for comparition. (I´d like to see a bit less moaning about Damon and a bit more celebrating of Graham here :-)

bushmonkey

Post by bushmonkey » 26 Jul 2020, 09:28

I've been a Blur fan since 94, so Blur first for me. I thought Everyday Robots was dull, and I'm not into Gorillaz (who put on the most boring Glasto headline show I've ever seen - a year after Blur did one of the best).

I would echo Vitekm's comments above about Graham Coxon. I saw him solo at the Roundhouse. I didn't know any of his songs at the time, but he was captivating.
On the slow boat to Lantau through misty seas...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 26 Jul 2020, 10:49

Definitely Blur first and foremost, but I suspect this might well be something where age is a big factor.

Damon's other projects I find hit and miss, I will always give them a go (both Damon and Graham's other projects) and give it more opportunity than other artists, thinking Thom Yorke, James Dean Bradfield, etc. I found some of Gorillaz great, but about half of their output I'm pretty meh about, to the extent I'm planning to go to Primavera next year and will skip Gorillaz if they clash with some of the other big names, which I wouldn't consider for Blur. Love TGTBTQ, was mostly bored by Everyday Robots and haven't really listened to any of the soundtrack/musical stuff Damon has done more than once, with the exception of Ordinary Decent Criminal - Dying Isn't Easy is a beautiful song and one of his best. I loved the first Deltron 3030 album, but think he only guested on a song or 2 there.

Personally I prefer more of Graham's output to Damon's outside of Blur and would be more excited for another Graham album than another Gorillaz (I'm assuming TGTBTQ won't do anything again after Tony's death).

Vorsprung

Post by Vorsprung » 26 Jul 2020, 12:58

Wow....yes. My bad.

You all make an important point. Graham has had a prolific and beautiful music career as a solo artist.

daii

Post by daii » 26 Jul 2020, 14:08

Even if Blur is my favorite thing and the first musical side of damon I discovered, I consider myself an Damon fan. I love gorillaz, tgtbtq, and his solo stuff. I wish he would release more solo albums, and less operas/african music though, before the covid i was thrilled with everything related to The Nearer The fountain.

On the other hand, I love Graham, and i would kill for a new blur album but I haven't listened much of his solo work.

Vorsprung

Post by Vorsprung » 26 Jul 2020, 16:11

daii wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 14:08
Even if Blur is my favorite thing and the first musical side of damon I discovered, I consider myself an Damon fan. I love gorillaz, tgtbtq, and his solo stuff. I wish he would release more solo albums, and less operas/african music though, before the covid i was thrilled with everything related to The Nearer The fountain.

On the other hand, I love Graham, and i would kill for a new blur album but I haven't listened much of his solo work.
Agree

stephen

Post by stephen » 27 Jul 2020, 05:12

Blur fan first. Gorillaz/TGTBATQ/Solo/Wigwam/etc are all secondary alternatives to what I want to listen to

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Jul 2020, 01:42

Blue. No question. I mean...Everyday Robots. I don’t need to say any more.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 28 Jul 2020, 02:52

tom_cas1 wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 01:42
Blue. No question. I mean...
Same.

stephen

Post by stephen » 28 Jul 2020, 05:44

Caitlin wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 02:52
tom_cas1 wrote:
Same.
:lol:

semi

Post by semi » 28 Jul 2020, 21:56

Blur.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 30 Jul 2020, 10:22

I... follow Damon? I got into Blur more intently but being mid-late 20s, I unknowingly was more into Demon Days first.

I'm obviously into a lot of music as we all are but I think Damon is the most interesting to follow – not so much because he's always side-swerving (he is) but because he's inconsistent and you don't know what'll happen next. I guess someone like Thom Yorke is cooler and with far more provenance, but his highs and lows are a lot more negligible.

In a way, if you take out blur, then there's nothing.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 31 Jul 2020, 06:12

Caitlin wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 02:52
tom_cas1 wrote:
Same.
:lol: :lol:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 31 Jul 2020, 08:47

An interesting approach to this question is what would you rather see live? A Blur concert or a Damon one?
Although I generally prefer Blur to Damon's other stuff, the two GBQ albums are better than quite a few Blur albums.
And I like quite a few Gorillaz songs.
When I saw Damon at the Albert Hall a few years ago, he did a career retrospective of sorts, and I enjoyed the whole thing more than latter-day Blur concerts.
Magic Whip has generally dampened my enthusiasm for new Blur stuff. Amazed at the critical acclaim it received. The last GBQ album was miles better.