Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

munch

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by munch » 25 Jan 2020, 08:01

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 13:30
I don’t remember what I Gabe it when it first came out, but I know I overrated it. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the album. I have some fond memories because of it like being second row at their show in Madison Square Garden.

I’m not really fond of I Broadcast, Ong Ong, or Spaceman. They’re ok, but boring to me. Pyongyang for me is the best song on the whole album. I think it’s one of the best songs Damon has done in quiet a while.
I do sort of agree those songs are a just okay. I also think Terracotta Heart drums were too heavy in the album version. This ones so much more powerful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mKFStgKQ8

But things like Go Out, Lonesome Street, There are too many, Pyongyang, Ghost Ship and Ice Cream Man make this album shine for me.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 26 Jan 2020, 07:19

dparrott wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 06:52
Best album since TGE for me. Amazing what a good producer can do.
agreed. I love all the songs on this album. But to each their own
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Mar 2020, 20:37

Been watching Blur perform TMW at La Musicale and at Mode while I have been working from home (I can multitask :D ) and I still think they have that chemistry, they just slip so easily back into the band. It’s such a shame they don’t try more often as a band. I am very much back into TMW, still not sure where it fits against the classics but still a great album, and still get that wow feeling that we even have this.

Dizzzy

Post by Dizzzy » 22 May 2020, 06:11

Wait theres a new blur album?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 May 2020, 19:07

Dizzzy wrote:
22 May 2020, 06:11
Wait theres a new blur album?
Yeah, it's called Parklife.

blurfansince97

Post by blurfansince97 » 01 Jul 2020, 16:06

I think the Magic Whip is a good album. Not as good as some of their best, but still a good one.
Last edited by blurfansince97 on 02 Jul 2020, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Jul 2020, 07:32

Yes I agree
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Nov 2020, 20:08

Yep, good album. My love for it has been waning as the years have passed by. Unlike the original run of albums. That said, still a good effort and enjoyable. For me it was the experience of the album release that made it so great at the time. MODE, various UK shows, an interview with Dave. Truly wonderful.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 13 Nov 2020, 21:32

tom_cas1 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:08
Yep, good album. My love for it has been waning as the years have passed by. Unlike the original run of albums. That said, still a good effort and enjoyable. For me it was the experience of the album release that made it so great at the time. MODE, various UK shows, an interview with Dave. Truly wonderful.
Indeed. The experience of living through the release of a new Blur album for the first time for me was amazing. Got to see them live in Paris as well which was a dream come true.

That aside, I still appreciate the album a lot, and feel it's rather underrated even by fans.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Nov 2020, 14:08

Rubi wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:32
tom_cas1 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:08
Indeed. The experience of living through the release of a new Blur album for the first time for me was amazing. Got to see them live in Paris as well which was a dream come true.

That aside, I still appreciate the album a lot, and feel it's rather underrated even by fans.
Agreed. I think any album that came so long after their previous was always going to be tough to hold up against the original run.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Nov 2020, 08:31

Just played it again the other day, and it seems to stand up very well in comparison to the original (1991-2003) run of albums.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 24 Nov 2020, 09:29

For me it's a decent album but isn't in the same league as the run of albums MLIR to 13. Personally I also prefer Leisure although perhaps that's more subjective. I think those earlier albums benefit from the fact Blur was the main ongoing concern for all members of the band, as opposed to the two latest albums where Blur was something fitted in between other projects, and in the case of Think Tank doesn't even have Graham on most songs.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Nov 2020, 19:18

Yes, in the original run of albums, or certainly up to '13', Blur were the main thing happening at the time.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 28 Nov 2020, 22:59

Styopa wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 09:29
For me it's a decent album but isn't in the same league as the run of albums MLIR to 13. Personally I also prefer Leisure although perhaps that's more subjective. I think those earlier albums benefit from the fact Blur was the main ongoing concern for all members of the band, as opposed to the two latest albums where Blur was something fitted in between other projects, and in the case of Think Tank doesn't even have Graham on most songs.
I totally agree with you. All the early albums concentrated the abilities of each band member in the best way. And even TMW is the brainchild of both Damon and Graham, you cannot quarantine the old approach. But I guess that's fine. A stereotype-reunion-album would have been too cheesy and unworthy for a band like Blur.