Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

dparrott

Re: Beetlebum: reaction at the time

Post by dparrott » 21 Mar 2020, 16:45

Rubi wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 00:05
People dismissing 13 because of its lacklustre nature is the same as Radiohead fans hating on Kid A (and everything that came afterwards) because they wanted more of The Bends.

13 is Blur's finest, most complex and most rewarding achievement. Their discography wouldn't be nearly as exciting if they had never released it.
Yes I wanted more of The Bends/OK Comp too, but I like Kid A. What I DON'T like is while Blur have returned to their true sound, Radiohead has been basically making the same album for 20 years and has abandoned the 90's.

bugman

Post by bugman » 22 Mar 2020, 20:21

radiohead fans hate kid a ? i love this album! i

stephen

Post by stephen » 23 Mar 2020, 14:30

ricj wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 10:53
I was a bit obsessed with the mysterious new song that became Trailerpark (still my favourite performance/version of that song) and could not WAIT to hear what the new album would sound like.
I've never actually heard this version before...it almost sounds like a single if Damon had written some better lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNNsbxfHJow

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 23 Mar 2020, 14:47

YES! ^ This is what I wanted on the album, but got some mellow lo-fi biz instead. Thanks Orbit :roll: Street would have turned it into a single.

This is my first time seeing it on video, all I had before was a bootleg CD.

ricj

Post by ricj » 23 Mar 2020, 17:16

stephen wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 14:30
ricj wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 10:53
I was a bit obsessed with the mysterious new song that became Trailerpark (still my favourite performance/version of that song) and could not WAIT to hear what the new album would sound like.
I've never actually heard this version before...it almost sounds like a single if Damon had written some better lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNNsbxfHJow
Ha yes, I was very confused as I sat taping that performance off the TV that night... It was a case of "is he RAPPING?!?" And the bizarre song structure with the trip-hop intro and the death metal outro and the odd piano part in the verses and the strange things he was rapping about and why does he keep shouting 'FREESTYLE!' ??!

And yes, when the album finally came out I found myself quite disappointed in that version...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Mar 2020, 19:34

dparrott wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 14:47
YES! ^ This is what I wanted on the album, but got some mellow lo-fi biz instead. Thanks Orbit :roll: Street would have turned it into a single.

This is my first time seeing it on video, all I had before was a bootleg CD.
Exactly, Bugman is so brilliant here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0VpTc47Uw

I enjoy the album version but this is much better, Street again would have edited it down to a much tighter better version. I actually think the best thing Orbit ever did was his version of Under The Westway...not a popular opinion, if you don't like it go listen to 1992 again :lol:

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 23 Mar 2020, 19:38

dparrott wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 14:47
tbh, I cannot hear any difference between this live version and the CD version, except the prod. Set aside that, same song, same thrill.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Mar 2020, 19:47

..and Bluremi, so did Orbit invent the duck from Crazy Beat, as he's not on the live version lol

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 23 Mar 2020, 22:22

Sledge Hammer wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 20:13
....And don't forget the Blur punk ep live gig that was cancelled the day before, fan club invite, all very strange, lots of 2000+ Blur history we still don't the full story of.
Ah, this is the biggest mystery since B-Roads... I still remember so clearly how excited I was by this. And then......absolutely nothing.
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 23 Mar 2020, 23:45

Sledge Hammer wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 19:34
I enjoy the album version but this is much better, Street again would have edited it down to a much tighter better version. I actually think the best thing Orbit ever did was his version of Under The Westway...not a popular opinion, if you don't like it go listen to 1992 again :lol:
Street would also have gotten better lyrics out of him, not repeat the same lyrics. That "chorus" would have been so much better with vocals.

stephen

Post by stephen » 24 Mar 2020, 12:01

anothermario wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 22:22
Sledge Hammer wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 20:13
....And don't forget the Blur punk ep live gig that was cancelled the day before, fan club invite, all very strange, lots of 2000+ Blur history we still don't the full story of.
Ah, this is the biggest mystery since B-Roads... I still remember so clearly how excited I was by this. And then......absolutely nothing.
Wasn't Dave asked about this in a recent interview? he completely dismissed as if he didn't know about it or had completely forgotten :lol:

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Mar 2020, 15:02

The crushing feeling of getting tickets and then being cancelled last minute still haunts me to the day. I was very excited they were back and for a punk record too.

stephen

Post by stephen » 24 Mar 2020, 15:37

This touches on it
https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wik ... 5_Sessions
Blur front man Damon Albarn has said in multiple interviews that the band, without guitarist Graham Coxon, recorded 15 punk rock songs in 2005, right before Damon Albarn recorded the album "Demon Days" with his band Gorillaz. "It's a bunch of short, fast, fun punk songs..." he said. The band decided not to release the material because it wasn't up to the quality they normally gave. Two of the songs were mentioned. They were re-recorded versions of two previous Blur demos "Subspecies of an American Day" and "Pleasent Education". Damon Albarn said that he doesn't want to release the material because it's "currently in an unfinished state" and "does not sound anything like what we wanted it to." Albarn has no plans to finish the material in the future.
According to an interview done with Dave Rowntree (Blur's drummer), the material was for a planned EP. Rowntree, when asked about the recording process and "Subspecies Of An American Day", he said; "As far as I remember, we didn’t record an EP in 2005. Googling reveals that Damon did an interview with XFM in 2005 and talked about that sort of thing. We certainly did do a tiny bit of recording when we got back from the Think Tank tour, but I don’t think our hearts were really in it, and we didn’t get very far."
Weird
There is a Blur record at the moment but it’s very basic,” explained Albarn of the album, which could be out next year. “The reason why it’s so basic is we decided that if we’re going to make another record it’s just got to be the three of us and I’ve got to play guitar. And because I’m such a rudimentary guitarist it has to be really stupid and basic punk rock.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/blur-357-1353864

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Mar 2020, 15:43

And yet they were interviewed for the Blurb around the time and said the exact opposite, it was very much a thing :?

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 24 Mar 2020, 16:55

Sledge Hammer wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:42
"it is heartbreakingly criminal that the potential of the musical partnership that is Damon and Graham has lain largely dormant for the last 20 years... "

Yep I said this before, awful really...banal Gorillaz churning out forgettable gunk every other year, Damon hasn't put 100% into new Blur material for nearly 20 years, the Mcartney/Lennon that is there waiting for new music, as Talk Talk once said "Such A Shame"
Damn I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. Utterly criminal. But sometimes I think, they were friends way before blur but they turned into colleagues during the 90s. It took them several years to resolve that, so maybe they just don't want to risk it anymore. Also, doing gorillaz seems so much easier for Damon. Why wait for everyone to show up for a studio session when you can do it all on your own? He can do whatever he likes, collaborate with whoever he invites, without much pressure, without worrying about blur's "legacy".