Graham talking about modern life is rubbish

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AstronomyD81

Graham talking about modern life is rubbish

Post by AstronomyD81 » 14 Jan 2020, 20:38

Here is a video about Graham talking about the whole modern life is rubbish. You only have to put your email and register. Really cool interview.

https://www.producelikeapro.com/blur-album-breakdown/

Hooligan

Re: Graham talking about modern life is rubbish

Post by Hooligan » 15 Jan 2020, 13:44

This is great, thanks for the link.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 15 Jan 2020, 17:06

What a lovely interview. Lovely to see him talk with such unvarnished optimism about the group - and nice to remember what a glorious record MLIR is; I don't play it very often, although a few tracks are always rotated on my stereo - Resigned, Oily Water, Miss America. I must listen to it more.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 15 Jan 2020, 20:32

Fantastic insight into the Very first blur Alum I bought back in '93!
Great Video.

Its on YouTube now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_2EER ... e=youtu.be
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

stephen

Post by stephen » 16 Jan 2020, 16:52

I know i've said this numerous times but the jump from modern life is rubbish to parklife just blows my tiny little mind. And to think it was recorded pretty much back to back, I would love some inside knowledge to how that process happened.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 16 Jan 2020, 17:22

1991,1993,1994,1995,1997,1999 - What a run of albums!! amazing...sadly Damon is either scared to tarnish his legacy or just not caring any more...

He didnt put much effort into The Magic Whip and Graham not involved much with Think Tank...so the last time Damon and Graham actually spent months on an album was 1999!!

What a waste as he churns out below average/average album one after the other while ignoring the most amazing partnership since Lennon/McCartney

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 17 Jan 2020, 10:13

stephen wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 16:52
I know i've said this numerous times but the jump from modern life is rubbish to parklife just blows my tiny little mind. And to think it was recorded pretty much back to back, I would love some inside knowledge to how that process happened.
Yeah it does seem like a fair jump. One thing that may partly explain that would be the fact some of the songs on MLIR were doing the rounds at live shows throughout 1992. There was still some songs similar in style to Leisure, but then you had the stuff that was written last minute like Chemical World and For Tomorrow, which to my ears wouldn't sound out of place on Parklife.

I remember reading an interview with Justine Frischman somewhere where she said that around the time of MLIR Damon came up with the very deliberate concept of making Blur's sound distinctly English with the satirical lyrics. As we know, that completely dictated the style of Parklife and TGE, but possibly only came into play towards the end of MLIR on the last few additions. As I said before, MLIR is more post punk than what we know and refer to as Britpop, but the 2 Britpop songs on the album were also incidentally the last 2 written.

stephen

Post by stephen » 17 Jan 2020, 10:37

TracyJosh wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 10:13
stephen wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 16:52
Yeah it does seem like a fair jump. One thing that may partly explain that would be the fact some of the songs on MLIR were doing the rounds at live shows throughout 1992. There was still some songs similar in style to Leisure, but then you had the stuff that was written last minute like Chemical World and For Tomorrow, which to my ears wouldn't sound out of place on Parklife.

I remember reading an interview with Justine Frischman somewhere where she said that around the time of MLIR Damon came up with the very deliberate concept of making Blur's sound distinctly English with the satirical lyrics. As we know, that completely dictated the style of Parklife and TGE, but possibly only came into play towards the end of MLIR on the last few additions. As I said before, MLIR is more post punk than what we know and refer to as Britpop, but the 2 Britpop songs on the album were also incidentally the last 2 written.
That makes a bit more sense. I can't remember which band member said it but they pulled out a song from each album which followed onto the next album. So for example for tomorrow was the start of creating the parklife album, i think yuko and hiro started the creation of the selftitled and so on. Taking the fact that alot of modern life is rubbish would have come from the ditched 1992 album (maybe not the songs but the developed sound), like you mention they already recorded parklifey tracks before touring for the modern life is rubbish tour so that would explain the public were already a step behind the band. maybe the jump looks bigger than it was, same for the great escape to selftitled. They would have been recording song 2 around the time when charmless man was released as a single.

stephen

Post by stephen » 17 Jan 2020, 10:40

Charmless man single released: ‎29 April 1996
Song 2 played live for the first time: 22 June 1996

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blur/199 ... 46f33.html

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 17 Jan 2020, 11:22

Yeah, looking at some of the setlists Oily Water and Turn it Up were already being played in 91 (as was Popscene) and by early 92 Colin Zeal and Pressure on Julian were being played. Coping and Sunday Sunday were played at Glastonbury 92. I think Sunday Sunday in particular points hints at the direction Blur would take on some of their future singles like Country House and maybe even Parklife.

rich

Post by rich » 19 Jan 2020, 23:47

Mark72 wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 20:32
Fantastic insight into the Very first blur Alum I bought back in '93!
Great Video.
Its on YouTube now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_2EER ... e=youtu.be
watching it in full now - it's bloody good...

rich

Post by rich » 19 Jan 2020, 23:48

Sledge Hammer wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 17:22
1991,1993,1994,1995,1997,1999 - What a run of albums!! amazing...sadly Damon is either scared to tarnish his legacy or just not caring any more...
He didnt put much effort into The Magic Whip and Graham not involved much with Think Tank...so the last time Damon and Graham actually spent months on an album was 1999!!
What a waste as he churns out below average/average album one after the other while ignoring the most amazing partnership since Lennon/McCartney
I'm almost agreeing with (most of) this!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 20 Jan 2020, 12:50

Thanks Rich, it made me sad to type it as I feel we have missed out on some great music...Graham and Damon together is magic, maybe its to keep their friendship stress free, but I think we would all love a Blur album where they have spent a few months together in the studio like the 90s albums which we haven't had for over 20 years....

stephen

Post by stephen » 20 Jan 2020, 13:47

Sledge Hammer wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 12:50
Thanks Rich, it made me sad to type it as I feel we have missed out on some great music...Graham and Damon together is magic, maybe its to keep their friendship stress free, but I think we would all love a Blur album where they have spent a few months together in the studio like the 90s albums which we haven't had for over 20 years....
It's great listening to how they made albums in the past but for me the past is the past and it's great to have those stories.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 28 Feb 2020, 06:30

This video is blocked in the US!!! :evil: