TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Live Performances Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

John_d

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Live Performances Thread

Post by John_d » 02 Jul 2019, 10:26

Saw the band at Glastonbury. Damon spoke quite coherently about Brexit. He can't always be trusted to express himself properly on the microphone, so that was good. I noticed Damon and the band in general getting a kicking on Twitter. I agree that a few of the songs just sound pretty weird - 1917 for example, and Gun to the Head (this makes more sense to me now than it did when I first heard it, but I imagine if you're watching the BBC and it comes on and you haven't heard it, you could think it sounded like a mess). Personally I enjoyed the performance though bringing out a huge choir for part of one song does seem quite preposterous - it sounded wonderful but is pretty indulgent. I think if you're going to drag that many folk onto stage they should be woven into several arrangements. Herculean would have been an obvious beneficiary.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 07 Jul 2019, 11:55

Full concert in Moscow, great audience recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZrOhHEaZyk

Neal Zeal

Good, Bad, Queen - live at Somerset House this coming Wednesday (17th July)

Post by Neal Zeal » 14 Jul 2019, 22:18

Hi - is anyone planning to go to this?
Tickets still available last time I checked.
I've seen other stuff there before - cracking venue!

JackS

Post by JackS » 18 Jul 2019, 12:10

Great gig last night, they had the Choir there too which I didn't expect at all (choir came back on for Poison Tree, Herculean and Nature Springs, and closed the gig itself) Band on absolutely top form.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 18 Jul 2019, 12:47

Really enjoyed last night's show too. Thought they were pretty crap for the first 20 mins or so, when they were just a bit too downbeat, sombre and dark for a disinterested seeming audience, but as usual Damon grabbed the show by the scruff of the neck and - through sheer force of will - dragged everyone along with him. By the end they were on fire. As ever, Tony Allen the highlight - just dunno how he does it. Somehow Damon seems to have built a feeling of participation and celebration into everything he does now, which is I think his biggest triumph of the last decade or so. He is indisputedly enjoying being a musician much more than he ever enjoyed being a popstar. Thought 'A Soldier's Tale' and 'Herculean' sounded immmense last night. The choir were great - Damon's friendship with Paul is charming. Damon's a bandleader now, like Dylan - handed every participant his moment. Good stuff.

JackS

Post by JackS » 18 Jul 2019, 14:34

jonathas wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 12:47
Really enjoyed last night's show too. Thought they were pretty crap for the first 20 mins or so, when they were just a bit too downbeat, sombre and dark for a disinterested seeming audience, but as usual Damon grabbed the show by the scruff of the neck and - through sheer force of will - dragged everyone along with him. By the end they were on fire. As ever, Tony Allen the highlight - just dunno how he does it. Somehow Damon seems to have built a feeling of participation and celebration into everything he does now, which is I think his biggest triumph of the last decade or so. He is indisputedly enjoying being a musician much more than he ever enjoyed being a popstar. Thought 'A Soldier's Tale' and 'Herculean' sounded immmense last night. The choir were great - Damon's friendship with Paul is charming. Damon's a bandleader now, like Dylan - handed every participant his moment. Good stuff.
Agree it started slow. I think from the moment the choir came on for Lady Boston the whole atmosphere transformed

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 19 Jul 2019, 23:56

Hi all, some photos from the Somerset gig i took on My phone.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 29 Jul 2019, 21:40

Northern Whale ! (Marseille)

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 30 Jul 2019, 08:19

The slower stripped down version reminds me more of the songs early debut in 2004/2005?? Back then I think it looked like this may be developed into a Blur song as Tender was played by Damon at same charity gig and the so called EP was still being talked about I seem to remember. Never really liked how it turned out, good song but not my fave TGTBATQ song.

This is a good version tho 😀

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 31 Jul 2019, 18:17

Really love that version. Damon and his melodica with slow dub beats is something I love a lot about the early days of Gorillaz. Paul told rich when we met him that he was trying to get it on the setlist - looks like it finally worked!

I wish this tour weren't coming to an end so soon. They are so stellar live, one of the tightest bands I've ever seen. More dates, especially in the western hemisphere, would be greatly appreciated by the fans! But it doesn't seem likely, with Damon moving on to multiple other things and Paul saying he's gonna work on sculpture in the fall. Alas.

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 05 Aug 2019, 14:40

I've always wondered why there didn't seem to be as much love for "Northern Whale" -- it's easily one of my favorites. Really bummed to have missed it live, but glad to hear it now!