TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

lumaka

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by lumaka » 10 Dec 2018, 09:16

The person who uploaded all four tracks on youtube (2 songs + 2 instrumentals) bought super deluxe box set.
People who bought deluxe got 2 tracks, both vocal versions, I think… (rich? bugman?)

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Dec 2018, 09:34

tom_cas1 wrote:
stephen wrote:It's interesting what we will think of this album in a few years time, it could age terribly or become a cult classic.
Not quite sure how it could age terribly. The production is spot on, certainly better than the debut.
I'm impartial about the production. It's more the theme around the album.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Dec 2018, 19:26

lumaka wrote:The person who uploaded all four tracks on youtube (2 songs + 2 instrumentals) bought super deluxe box set.
People who bought deluxe got 2 tracks, both vocal versions, I think… (rich? bugman?)
that's right.

rich

Post by rich » 11 Dec 2018, 19:39

bugman wrote:
lumaka wrote:The person who uploaded all four tracks on youtube (2 songs + 2 instrumentals) bought super deluxe box set.
that's right.
yeah - deluxe was the full (ie with vocal) versions of The Imperial and St George And The Blackbird

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Dec 2018, 18:14

My deluxe version didn't come with a download code... anyone else deal with this? I wonder how I can get the download.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 14 Dec 2018, 19:07

aldamasta, deluxe box set?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 16 Dec 2018, 02:26

Yeah I believe so -- the vinyl with CD, lyric book, postcards, etc. I'm a bit perplexed. Perhaps it was just a random mistake? I dunno.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 16 Dec 2018, 08:40

Replaced Gun to the head with Magic City on my playlist for the album.

Sounds so much better.

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 16 Dec 2018, 15:12

What's that with the music videos with that ventriloquist Damon doll thing (with another Damon doll sometimes)? That thing makes me nervous.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 23 Dec 2018, 23:44

The Poison Tree would have made a great Blur song. Think of what Graham could have done with it!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Dec 2018, 01:31

dparrott wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 23:44
The Poison Tree would have made a great Blur song. Think of what Graham could have done with it!
Completely agree! While I love this album and band, and think that Merrie Land fits perfectly under TGTBTQ, it's hard not to imagine how good it would be as a blur album as well. I would kill for a blur album about London (or England in general) produced by Tony Visconti. Merrie Land has definitely added fuel to my hopes for a future blur record.

JackS

Post by JackS » 27 Dec 2018, 12:37

dparrott wrote:
I feel exactly the same way about Souk Eye from The Now Now

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 28 Dec 2018, 09:26

I agree about a Blur album done in a similar way to Merrie Land, with the focus on Britain and the same production, Damon's passion for his country and observations come through so well when he is writing about his own country. With regards to what Blur could have done with Merrie Land, I have to admit it hasn't even crossed my mind as I think Paul, Simon and Toni bring something unique to this project which I don't think could be improved on. That’s not saying Blur couldn't make another great album, just not this one, but there aren’t any songs on this album I think what if... compared to some on Damon's solo album or even TNN where I did think Damon needed that extra influence to keep him in check.

As I have mentioned previously on posts, although I do love TMW I would love for Blur to go into the studio with a similar way TGTBATQ have and just jam together. I know they did that in the 5 days in Hong Kong but however fascinating the whole TMW story is much of the what came after Graham's/Stephen's work seems added on to this. Good (maybe great album) but I think so much more could have been done if given that extra time.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Dec 2018, 08:07

aldamasta wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 01:31
dparrott wrote:
Completely agree! While I love this album and band, and think that Merrie Land fits perfectly under TGTBTQ, it's hard not to imagine how good it would be as a blur album as well. I would kill for a blur album about London (or England in general) produced by Tony Visconti. Merrie Land has definitely added fuel to my hopes for a future blur record.

Given that e.g. Suede, Shed Seven, Black Grape, the Gallaghers (+ apparently Sleeper) have been in top form in recent times, is it too much to ask for a brand new, but good old fashioned, Blur album with the jauntiness of the Britpop period? :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 31 Dec 2018, 14:38

I got the Hardback book/CD combo for Chrismas and I thought it was a pretty decent edition for £20, nice book and really pleased the chords are in this, although I haven't played these yet, I would have paid £20 for this even without the actual CD. I'd have went for the more expensive options to get the download tracks but knew it would be a no go with the wife when writing my Christmas list.. :cry: