Interview with Dave -2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Daysleeper

Interview with Dave -2015

Post by Daysleeper » 17 Oct 2018, 09:44

Enjoyable interview with Dave from 2015, where he ranks the albums and talks about the bands career.

I’m sure most have read it, but was good to re-read it.

If anyone is interested, here is the link.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/noisey.v ... cords-blur

stephen

Re: Interview with Dave -2015

Post by stephen » 17 Oct 2018, 18:54

Thanks, I've not seen that one before.

You don't get to hear much from Dave's side of accounts so it was a good read and very thorough.

I think it's a fair and honest ranking of the albums from the bands perspective. The earlier days must have been really difficult especially in the mid to late 20s. It sounds like absolute chaos. I forget how much of a big deal they were in 1994/95/96/97.

It sounds like he didn't really enjoy the think tank sessions, which is understandable and heartbreaking.

And William Orbit basically had little to no involvement in the 13 album but he happily stamped his name on it..it was all Damian LeGassic. So he was basically a ghost producer what a dick.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

rich

Post by rich » 18 Oct 2018, 00:38

it is a great read - thanks!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Oct 2018, 21:51

stephen wrote:And William Orbit basically had little to no involvement in the 13 album but he happily stamped his name on it..it was all Damian LeGassic. So he was basically a ghost producer what a dick.
Dave wasn't dismissive of William Orbit. He said that Orbit 'loosely supervised' the sessions during the daytime, i.e. allowing the band their creativity, and Damian LeGassic did more involved work in the evenings.

It was an interesting read. I like Dave's balanced attitude.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 19 Oct 2018, 08:11

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
stephen wrote:And William Orbit basically had little to no involvement in the 13 album but he happily stamped his name on it..it was all Damian LeGassic. So he was basically a ghost producer what a dick.
Dave wasn't dismissive of William Orbit. He said that Orbit 'loosely supervised' the sessions during the daytime, i.e. allowing the band their creativity, and Damian LeGassic did more involved work in the evenings.

It was an interesting read. I like Dave's balanced attitude.
You can interpret it however you want but we are basically saying the same thing.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Oct 2018, 11:52

We also cannot forget the Dave interview our very own tom_cas1 did back around that same period: http://www.vblurpage.com/forum/viewtopi ... it=laswell

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 22 Oct 2018, 20:56

It writes with a K, apparently: "Damian LeGassick".

I had already read somewhere else about this guy's involvement in the production/engineering of 13 (though I remember quite well his name was mispelled in another way, as "Damien Le Gassic" --> I was immediately misled to think he was a Frenchman. :) )

He has a wikipedia page bearing mention that he also played keyboards with Blur (live?).