RIP Chris Cornell

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

RIP Chris Cornell

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 May 2017, 08:03

I am so gutted if this is all indeed true....Cannot process this at the moment......

Mark72

Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Post by Mark72 » 18 May 2017, 11:46

It has been confirmed. Very talented guy. Rest in Peace.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 May 2017, 12:25

Mark72 wrote:It has been confirmed. Very talented guy. Rest in Peace.

Absolutely talented.... We've lost Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, and now Chris Cornell from Grunge.... Really only Eddie Vedder has survived... Still completely in shock here! Suicide appears to be the cause.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 18 May 2017, 14:16

His cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" blew me the hell away the first time I heard it. I honestly think it's better than MJ's version and that is saying a lot as MJ's was pure gold. Aside from "Black Hole Sun," the Bond theme he did, and "Billie Jean" I don't really know his music. I've heard some of his songs on the radio, so I know who he is and all. He had an extremely good voice though. It's a shame that he died so young. From what I heard he has a wife and young children. On the radio this morning, I heard that he often gave a lot away to charity and even had a charity of his own to give to needy children.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 18 May 2017, 14:21

His Bond song absolutely captured the start Daniel Craig's era perfectly...
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 May 2017, 14:42

Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, and Audioslave were all amazing because of him! Man.... . barely slept an hour........

bugman

Post by bugman » 18 May 2017, 19:59

the saddest news in this year. Chris was a fantastic singer, maybe the best singer in rock music. he's my hero, my king. Chris, why u did this to us?!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 May 2017, 14:53

bugman wrote:the saddest news in this year. Chris was a fantastic singer, maybe the best singer in rock music. he's my hero, my king. Chris, why u did this to us?!
His wife claims that anti anxiety medication that he was taking might have been the probable cause of those urges. And side-effects sometimes tend be worst than what the medication is actually treating. Such a HUGE loss in every regard. Really feel so sorry for his family and close friends during these dark times.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 20 May 2017, 23:16

my brother and his friends loved soundgarden when I was younger I was never really into them... as I got older , like now, I started to appreciate them more... and just as I was getting into their back catalogue Chris Cornell dies. same thing happened when Michael Jackson died. now there is this "oh you only like them because chris died" vibe... last week I was having a drinking session with my brother and we were talking about how aawesome soundgarden is. unbelievable
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 May 2017, 18:56

metalhipslop wrote:my brother and his friends loved soundgarden when I was younger I was never really into them... as I got older , like now, I started to appreciate them more... and just as I was getting into their back catalogue Chris Cornell dies. same thing happened when Michael Jackson died. now there is this "oh you only like them because chris died" vibe... last week I was having a drinking session with my brother and we were talking about how aawesome soundgarden is. unbelievable

But you're making him and his music (and overall legacy) continue to live on by getting into him and expanding your knowledge of his impact!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 May 2017, 05:17

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Aside from "Black Hole Sun," the Bond theme he did, and "Billie Jean" I don't really know his music. I've heard some of his songs on the radio, so I know who he is and all.
Yes I admit I am in the same position. Although I got into Nirvana, Soundgarden passed me by. I have a distant memory of 'Black Hole Sun' and its video which is reminiscent of 1960s B-movies.

Looking it up now, I see that it was a UK top 20 hit in late-summer 1994 - at that time, it was over-shadowed by 'Parklife' and 'Definitely Maybe' (and their singles), which were dominating. Had it been released a year or two earlier it may have made more impression.

R.I.P. Chris Cornell.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 May 2017, 06:09

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
Yes I admit I am in the same position. Although I got into Nirvana, Soundgarden passed me by. I have a distant memory of 'Black Hole Sun' and its video which is reminiscent of 1960s B-movies.

Looking it up now, I see that it was a UK top 20 hit in late-summer 1994 - at that time, it was over-shadowed by 'Parklife' and 'Definitely Maybe' (and their singles), which were dominating. Had it been released a year or two earlier it may have made more impression.

R.I.P. Chris Cornell.
Conversely, Grunge here in the States obviously overshadowed anything and everything Britpop.... Well.. perhaps except for Oasis (which really troubled me) and then Elastica also also. Blur was regulated to Indie stations throughout 1994, mainly "Girls & Boys"....

But yeah...Soundgarden and Chris Cornell were BEYOND brilliant and worth checking even further into.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 May 2017, 06:44

I have looked it up, and the UK chart in late-August 1994 was an awful one :( There was little good in it beyond the Blur, Oasis and Soundgarden singles.

Lots of holiday-type records, and unmemorable follow-ups to previous big hits. 'Black Hole Sun' should have gone higher than its peak position of no.12.

http://www.everyhit.com/retros/index.ph ... 1=3&day2=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Mallard No. 22 on 30 May 2017, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 May 2017, 07:35

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I have looked it up, and the UK chart in late-August 1994 was an awful one :( There was little good in it beyond the 'Blur, Oasis and Soundgarden singles.

Lots of holiday-type records, and unmemorable follow-ups to previous big hits. 'Black Hole Sun' should have gone higher than its peak position of no.12.

http://www.everyhit.com/retros/index.ph ... 1=3&day2=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, that was the August I was about to enter my Senior year of high school and I actually enjoyed some of those songs, but mainly due to sentimental reasons.

By comparison...Here's Billboard's from late-August 1994 and there's some slight variances: http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1994-08-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hilarious they have Blur's song listed as "Girls"! :lol:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 May 2017, 04:35

On both of those charts, some more indie and grunge was required.... :)