NIRVANA

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

NIRVANA

Post by metalhipslop » 22 Apr 2017, 01:17

probably already a thread, but I can't be bothered to search.. sorry...

kurt cobain is my favorite musician other than john lennon and damon albarn

currently listening to NEVERMIND.. need a break from HUMANZ.. been listening all day.

any fans?

Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

KingLouieLouie76

Re: NIRVANA

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Apr 2017, 03:21

Yes... I've always been a major Nirvana fan. My favorite c.d. has always been "In Utero" with "Nevermind" as a not too distant 2nd..... Kurt was headed in the right direction w/"In Utero" (will expanding their sound) and it's obviously always unfortunate we never know what might have been.....

"You Know You're Right" suggested though that Kurt was ready to embrace a more definitive heavier sound which most Grunge bands began to flirt with a couple of years later when Grunge was waning.

Obviously "Unplugged" was brilliant ("About A Girl" was my fave track off there) and "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" to me was a must-have back them perfectly capturing them live.

I would also rank "Sappy" and "Verse Chorus Verse" among my two favorite obscure songs by them...... Sorry I could go on and on about Nirvana all day! :D Plus, there's a heavy Lennon influence on Kurt....Especially you can sense a lot of "Plastic Ono Band" in his arrangements.....

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 22 Apr 2017, 07:20

totally agree. verse chorus verse is such a gem. OLD AGE is another amazing song.
i grew up on 'with the lights out collection' that's how i got to know nirvana. the dvd of them jamming in the basement when they weren't really known made me want to be in band.

something we will never know is what type of album would come after In Utero. In my opinion it was the perfect amount of heavy.. Bleach was pretty heavy due to it's clear heavy metal and hard core punk riffs. I read something that Kurt was getting bored of the whole Guitar, Bass and Drum formula. after reading that it always made me wonder if if a 4th album would be experimental.

but i go back and force deciding whether nevermind is the best or is it in utereo? Nevermind is perfect in everyway. A perfect synergy of lennon esque melodies mixed with heavy rock and punk. and not in the cheap rip off way Oasis did it.. (sorry for fans, but I still hate Oasis) There was nothing like it and still is nothing like it. but In Utero is also like that but like you say , more heavy... Nirvana released 3 amazing albums. Can't think of any bad songs

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2017, 19:51

I agree w/all your comments. I absolutely cannot think of one weak song in their catalog. Kurt had so many influences. Of course there's the Meat Puppets, but you should check-out the Smithereens (who Nirvana modeled themselves after while recording "Nevermind") and then there's the Melvins.

It is complex to decide whether or not "In Utero" is my favorite over "Nevermind", but to reiterate to me "In Utero" was more definitive. People claim that Kurt was going to become more reclusive, but I feel otherwise. I think the 4th album would have been even more metal (by the slight indication of "You Know You're Right") but would have expanded even more off of "All Apologies" as well... An album combining the elements of those two songs would have been the ultimate one indeed.... He still had so much to offer and I won't go further w/my Courtney Love hatred and beliefs....

The obvious question is, how do you feel about the Foo Fighters? I honestly haven't liked them much since "One By One"......

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Apr 2017, 01:02

The Foo Fighters are one of my favourite bands, absolutely love them. The only albums I'm not overly keen on are Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace from 2007 and Sonic Highways from 2014. A little too mainstream for my liking, although 2011's Wasting Light was a return to form. Great album, and the 2015 EP Saint Cecilia is great too. They're currently in the studio recording their latest album I believe.

In terms of Nirvana, listened to them a lot a number of years ago but haven't in a while. I don't really count Bleach, not a fan of that one, but Nevermind and In Utero are excellent. Nevermind is obviously their best album, especially when it comes to legacy, but I think In Utero expanded on it greatly. Really good album. And Unplugged is a masterpiece of course. I'm not ashamed to say that I heard the Nirvana version of The Man Who Sold the World before the Bowie version and it fucking blew me away, pardon the French.

I think I'm going to have to listen to those albums again.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Apr 2017, 05:32

Yes, I bought 'Nevermind' and 'In Utero' at the time and I liked them.

The single 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' picked up daytime airplay, and crept into the public consciousness. The album and its singles were soon being played everywhere.

My memory is also that the private lives of Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love were picked up on by the music press and the tabloids - much like Amy Winehouse was later.

There was probably more sensationalism than there needed to be. It could have had a bearing on Kurt's death?

I also bought the first Foo Fighters album. I didn't take to this as much, and didn't buy any subsequent albums.

I did play the Foo Fighters album again recently, and it seemed better than I recall.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Apr 2017, 06:29

Mallard No. 22 wrote: My memory is also that the private lives of Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love were picked up on by the music press and the tabloids - much like Amy Winehouse was later.

There was probably more sensationalism than there needed to be. It could have had a bearing on Kurt's death?
I highly recommend that you and everyone else watch "Soaked In Bleach" if you haven't. Here's imdbs link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3253624/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't want to give any of it away whatsoever, but it will have you fully convinced whether or not Kurt indeed committed suicide. It's on Netflix and it really impacted me quite a bit......

There's always two separate standards/measurements...... There's what was an artist's band and what is your personal fave. Jimi Hendrix best album to me is "Electric Ladyland", but my personal fave is "Axis: Bold As Love".... Conversely, "Nevermind" was Nirvana's best, but again "In Utero" has always been my fave and was the ideal follow-up on how again Kurt began expanding their scope and he would have kept progressing further if it weren't for the obvious. He had the potential to even become more of a revolutionary which has been lacking in music for years. No telling how deprived we will always will be if he had lived beyond 27! He again barely scratched the surface......

I loved how Kurt paid homage to the Meat Puppets during "Unplugged" and that he introduced them to a newer audience, but unfortunately their bassist cost them quite a bit w/his own personal demons, but that's an entirely different subject.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Apr 2017, 06:23

Yes I don't see why Kurt wouldn't have continued with Nirvana, which means there would be no Foo Fighters (at least, not as soon as there was).

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Apr 2017, 10:30

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes I don't see why Kurt wouldn't have continued with Nirvana, which means there would be no Foo Fighters (at least, not as soon as there was).
True and I believe Grohl wouldn't have been contained for too long to work on his own project. He was too talented to only serve as Nirvana's drummer. Kurt would definitely have soldiered on and even probably done his own solo album and other side projects well considering how experimental he was becoming. Again, another innovative mind ahead of his time who didn't even make it into his prime. Again, just imagine what could have been!

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 05 May 2017, 01:46

I didn't like them when Spirit came out, but I grew to like them. I actually like Bleach better than In Utero. I like Foo too.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 May 2017, 15:18

dparrott wrote:I didn't like them when Spirit came out, but I grew to like them. I actually like Bleach better than In Utero. I like Foo too.

Yeah.... I was mixed about them when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" first came out. I was just getting out of my immense Classic Rock/Golden Oldies phase I was in during my earlier teens and then started to embrace Grunge as my own. Towards the end of the 80s I was 13 and dreaded most of the Hair Bands during that time and had to go elsewhere for my music urges and that enabled me to further expand my scope at the time. I'm somewhat going through that right now since I loathe most of today's music.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 06 May 2017, 02:34

not a fan of Foo Fighters... i don't know what it is. they sound like nirvana without the heart and soul. which most bands did in the wake of Nirvana. a lot of people love them so who am i to say they have no heart and soul
of smells like teen spirit. it's an amazing song. but it's like song 2 or more so girls and boys... when i put in the album i tend to skip it because its been played to death! good it's the first song, like girls & boys... skipping it doesnt really ruin the flow of the album
i always compare nirvana to blur and vice versa because they were really trend setters and trend destroyers (kurts death killed grunge harsh way to put it) and blur ended britpop after the great escape. i think. both bands were really the best of popular music in the 90's on each side of the pond. not many good grunge bands other than nirvana... not too many good britpop bands other than blur.. that's just my opinion. obviously, they played different type of music. but i found nirvana more in common with blur than oasis had in common with blur. other people might see it the other way around. oasis and nirvana. but nirvana were amazing. and blur were amazing. both had their own unique thing going on.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 May 2017, 03:18

Excellent post! Also, it's gratifying to know how much Kurt admired Graham's guitar playing on "There's No Other Way"! I don't know if the respect was mutual though because I thought Blur despised Grunge.

Regarding Grunge, I always loved Alice In Chains, STP, Mudhoney, and Soundgarden and was always mixed on Pearl Jam.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 06 May 2017, 03:34

i love mudhoney. soundgarden is great. alice in chains is hit or miss for me. i love dirt and unplugged. the rest i never really got into.

i read one quote which I can't really bother to find atm by graham where he says they secretly liked Nevermind but they were too competetive and anti american.. i don't know someone would have to correct me, but it was something like that.
and damon in the NDLIR documentary saying "we were just fed up with nirvana and all the shit.. nirvana weren't shit! but in their wake....something something something" something like that.
i think everyone at that point was inspired by kurt even subconsciously... like A SONG by BLUR is probably the closest, to me, that damon has come to kurt cobain's style. but he was probably not even thinking about it. maybe it was them both trying to sound like lennon lol

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 May 2017, 05:12

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I was mixed about them when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" first came out. I was just getting out of my immense Classic Rock/Golden Oldies phase I was in during my earlier teens and then started to embrace Grunge as my own. Towards the end of the 80s I was 13 and dreaded most of the Hair Bands during that time and had to go elsewhere for my music urges and that enabled me to further expand my scope at the time.
Yes, it was a bit like that at the time :roll: :lol: I was into a lot of 60s-70s music as the 80s wore on. When 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' hit the airwaves, it was a blast of fresh air amidst the understated (I won't say 'insipid' :) ) indie bands of the UK and overblown 'hair bands' of the USA. It took the good parts of both (the indie sensibilities and the guitar riffs) and channelled them through a distinct frontman.

metalhipslop - I suspect that the Blur members liked Nirvana as an act in itself, but Damon seemed concerned that whole aspects of the North American lifestyle were going to consume the UK. Blur thus championed what became a whole movement ('Britpop') though ultimately Damon's concerns came true with globalisation etc.