Monkees Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 305
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 17:16

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Foggy » 09 Jun 2016, 16:38

This is nice. It's the tune written by Noel Gallagher & Paul Weller .

https://youtu.be/4s7ywuNw5u0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Jun 2016, 23:28

Foggy wrote:This is nice. It's the tune written by Noel Gallagher & Paul Weller .

https://youtu.be/4s7ywuNw5u0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow..THANKS for sharing! What a song.....What an album! I'm now listening to "A Better World" which didn't make it on the actual album, but on a deluxe edition and wow to this one as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNMJUAaHOM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Man....oh man.......

I agree w/you Mallard No. 22...they made music fun during that time in which most other bands were becoming so serious in nature.. just gave it more balance.... And you included so many other solid bands in your last post.... The Monkees were slightly influential in terms of Garage Band Rock, but true... weren't to the magnitude of the Beach Boys and Beatles....
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Jun 2016, 05:44

The song written by Noel Gallagher & Paul Weller has a nice feel to it. With hints at both who wrote it, and the kind of 60s artists it is paying homage to.

The tinkly piano parts are very reminiscent of The Byrds 'All I Really Want To To Do'.

:D It is good really that an act like The Monkees are remembered and revered in such ways. Given that they were conceived as a teen act for a TV show, and intended to only have the standard three-year cycle.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Jun 2016, 00:27

Mallard No. 22 wrote:The song written by Noel Gallagher & Paul Weller has a nice feel to it. With hints at both who wrote it, and the kind of 60s artists it is paying homage to.

The tinkly piano parts are very reminiscent of The Byrds 'All I Really Want To To Do'.

:D It is good really that an act like The Monkees are remembered and revered in such ways. Given that they were conceived as a teen act for a TV show, and intended to only have the standard three-year cycle.

They might have lasted longer than 3-years, but they started to really wanting to debunk their image w/"Head" and further projects beyond that which unfortunately backfired and ultimately brought things to an abrupt halt back then, but that novelty was also wearing out as well.
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Jul 2016, 22:13

I had the inclination to watch the 'Head' movie last night.

Just after the scene where Davy was afraid to look in the washroom cabinet (& Peter opened it to reveal a bottle of shampoo), there was a flash :!: , and all the lights went out....

I knew it was a strange movie, but I didn't know it was that strange.... :mrgreen:

Looking outside with the same trepidation that Davy had looking into the cabinet, I found that my whole neighbourhood had a power cut....

:idea: ....anyway, I will attempt to watch the remainder of the film tonight :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Jul 2016, 23:25

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I had the inclination to watch the 'Head' movie last night.

Just after the scene where Davy was afraid to look in the washroom cabinet (& Peter opened it to reveal a bottle of shampoo), there was a flash :!: , and all the lights went out....

I knew it was a strange movie, but I didn't know it was that strange.... :mrgreen:

Looking outside with the same trepidation that Davy had looking into the cabinet, I found that my whole neighbourhood had a power cut....

:idea: ....anyway, I will attempt to watch the remainder of the film tonight :)
Oh what irony! haha.... I first watched the film when I was around 9 and couldn't figure it out whatsoever and then just watched it w/my sister in late May and knowing how they were trying to sabotage their image puts everything into complete perspective! They succeeded to a certain extent though....
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Jul 2016, 04:17

Yes, I remember when I first stumbled across it on late-night TV, without knowing of it previously.

I liked the opening sequence on the bridge and I thought "this looks like a good laugh". But to my uninitiated eyes it became plotless nonsense and I switched off. :?

I since learned its reputation and where it stood in the Monkees scheme of things.

Like 'Magical Mystery Tour' it is of its time and if you take it as that it is bearable. And like MMT the songs are great :D
Last edited by Mallard No. 22 on 02 Aug 2016, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Jul 2016, 23:05

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, I remember when I first stumbled across it on late-night TV, without knowing of it previously.

I liked the opening sequence on the bridge and I thought "this looks like a good laugh". But to my uninitiated eyes it became plotless nonsense and I switched off. :?

I since learned its reputation and where it stood in the Monkees scheme of things.

Like 'Magical Mystery Tour' it is of its time and if you take it as that it is bearable. And like MMT the songs are great :D

"Porpoise Song" is such an epic track...People are still shocked the Monkees recorded that..... If you want to watch something even more baffling than "Head", then feast yourself on this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI1V9RmFX8I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I hope it works for you!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Aug 2016, 06:00

Thank you for posting that link. That TV special has gone over my 'Head' (ahem.... :lol: ) in the past but I hope to watch it in the next few days.

The fact that Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger are in it is fascinating, and a draw in itself.

P.S. 'The Porpoise Song' is awesome psychedelia. I hadn't picked up on that Goffin & King wrote it. A most un-Brill Building song to my ears.... :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Aug 2016, 00:00

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Thank you for posting that link. That TV special has gone over my 'Head' (ahem.... :lol: ) in the past but I hope to watch it in the next few days.

The fact that Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger are in it is fascinating, and a draw in itself.

P.S. 'The Porpoise Song' is awesome psychedelia. I hadn't picked up on that Goffin & King wrote it. A most un-Brill Building song to my ears.... :D

That tv special was so horridly done, but had some rather historical sequences, but I won''t give away any further details whatsoever. This project also marked the final time the quartet were together until their 1986 20th Reunion when Mike guested in some shows and tv appearances.....
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Aug 2016, 05:51

I watched the TV Special (i.e. '33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee'). Interesting that it was shot on VT. It struck me as similar in character to the Rolling Stones 'Rock n Roll Circus' which was filmed at the same time (late 1968).

Like 'Head' and 'Magical Mystery Tour' it was incoherent and is probably more watchable now than then. I see that in the UK it was broadcast at the time on BBC2. Which is more than R&RC was.... :cry:

Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger would have been more suited to R&RC with the Stones etc. I think they must have enjoyed the Monkees special - they didn't normally do acting AFAIK and they hammed it up a bit. I think it will have been alienating to some (e.g. older viewers) but it was of its time.

I don't know how big JD & BA were in the USA. Given they were cast with the Monkees means they must have had (brief?) success.

An awesome finale in which The Monkees came across well. Initially a stripped down version of 'Listen To The Band' (a song I've always liked) with Nesmith doing his favoured country rock style in which he always sounds more mature. It builds up into a bluesy and soulful Hey Jude-type coda with Driscoll, Auger, Buddy Miles etc. I had to watch the sequence again.... 8-)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Aug 2016, 17:51

They were supposed to record two more installments of "33 1/3 Revolution per Monkee", but thankfully they didn't! :lol:

The one major criticism was that the Monkees were regulated to being more of guest-stars on that special, it seemed Driscoll and Auger along w/the cast of others received more airtime. The best scene to me involves Little Richard, Fats Domino, and Jerry Lee Lewis. I also agree on the "Listen to the Band".... I honestly wish it only remained just the four performing the stripped down version. Also, that was the final time Peter Tork appeared w/them and the four performed again together during their 1986 20th Anniversary Reunion Tour.


I honestly don't know what impact both JD and BA made here on the States at the time and have always been intrigued by their involvement in the first place.
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Aug 2016, 05:47

Yes, intriguing that they were involved to the level that they were. Wonder if e.g. they shared the same agent as The Monkees?

Nevertheless an interesting TV show which I will view again at some point. :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Aug 2016, 06:31

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, intriguing that they were involved to the level that they were. Wonder if e.g. they shared the same agent as The Monkees?

Nevertheless an interesting TV show which I will view again at some point. :)

If you want to.... here's the best way to watch this again... it's with Micky providing some of the most hysterical commentary throughout... enjoy! I hope it works for you.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBT6RO7pmkU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Aug 2016, 06:36

Yes that is another thing I will get around to doing - watching it with Mickey's commentary.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Post Reply