Random music posts

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

davidsutter

Re: Random music posts

Post by davidsutter » 03 May 2016, 20:59

somebody said lenny kravitz was the heir to both prince and bowie's respective thrones
if anyone could possibly be that i'd say it's beck myself

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 May 2016, 22:22

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Praising Lenny Kravitz while stating that contemporary music is derivative is kinda contradictory, isn't it? :lol:
About Kravitz, it's all a matter of what you're into I guess but he isn't even respected by lots of music fans, so there's no way he's on the Beck/Yorke/Harvey/Albarn tier.

Anyway, from bands that started in the 00s/10s I'd say Bradford Cox, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West and hell, even James Murphy are all up there. Our conception of music has changed and we don't have those larger than life characters anymore but that doesn't mean that contemporary music sucks, it just means that you have to dig deeper to find what you like.

I was half asleep and under-the-weather when I posted that...I meant though.....there is no one to me who has emerged over the past 10-15 years who I qualify to that level and essentially Lenny to me burst onto the scene in the late 80s-early 90s and made that type of impact in the earlier part of this century. Whilst, no newer artists to me can lead that claim to fame.

Beck to me has to be included in that discussion as well...I believe his next album might dictate quite a bit of that....

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2016, 18:50

Bowie? Prince? But didn't you hear? Lenny Kravitz is Jimi Hendrix reincarnated! Rawk and rawwwlllllllllllllll!!!!

Kravitz' own 5 belongs to the late 90s rock-goes-electronic albums I was listing in the general blur thread.

What's everyone's opinion on Steve Hillage? Gong are underrated sure, but Hillage as a solo musician even more so.
I wrote the page for 1978's Green yesterday (co-produced by NicK Mason)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_(Steve_Hillage_album%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

King of the Slums' Spider Psychiatry gets my vote of one of the best debut singles of the 80s. Proto-shoegaze with electric violin. Definitely a band I'll check out further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRdBU_3Eg0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 May 2016, 01:40

AdvertBreak wrote:Bowie? Prince? But didn't you hear? Lenny Kravitz is Jimi Hendrix reincarnated! Rawk and rawwwlllllllllllllll!!!!

Kravitz' own 5 belongs to the late 90s rock-goes-electronic albums I was listing in the general blur thread.
:lol: ...but interesting comparison... Prince obviously also was quite the adept guitar player himself......

To currently be a multi-instrumentalist now of days has so much merit now than ever... cannot take them for granted...I hope Lenny can somehow revert back to his earlier styling.... I don't mind the funk sound, but that rather eclectic blend he began with would be so refreshing now.... I hope that is what Beck is currently doing now....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 May 2016, 06:39

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: I know we can discuss those who have existed since the 60s, but I'm focusing on those who initially surfaced in the 90s...... Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious or do not hold high enough esteem that others might...... Just again proves how there is a lack of innovation right now and it seems it is going to remain that way for several more years....
Lt Pinkerton wrote:....Our conception of music has changed and we don't have those larger than life characters anymore but that doesn't mean that contemporary music sucks, it just means that you have to dig deeper to find what you like.
Yes, I hear plenty of new songs on BBC6 Music that I like. If I was in my youth I would be actively buying them. But you do have to look deeper for them (e.g. on 6 Music) and beyond the top 40 chart. It is hard to measure now what is successful.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 May 2016, 02:26

Top 5 mini-albums of all time
[Mini-albums are generally longer than EPs, but I'm including releases that are specifically described as mini-albums, not EPs]

1. Stump - Quirk Out
2. Lush - Scar
3. My Bloody Valentine - Ecstasy
4. The Orb - Pomme Fritz
5. The Style Council - Introducing...the Style Council

Top 5 EPs of all time
[Probably forgot loads, its a rushed list]

1. Disco Inferno - The Last Dance
2. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
3. The Chemical Brothers - Loops of Fury
4. Disco Inferno - Second Language
5. Super Furry Animals - Ice Hockey Hair
[So its a rushed list, maybe I should to a properly thought list at some point]

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 May 2016, 04:59

AdvertBreak wrote: Top 5 EPs of all time
[Probably forgot loads, its a rushed list]

2. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
3. The Chemical Brothers - Loops of Fury
4. Disco Inferno - Second Language
5. Super Furry Animals - Ice Hockey Hair
[So its a rushed list, maybe I should to a properly thought list at some point]
My top-5 EPs are also rushed... not in order:

1)Alice in Chains - "Jar of Flies"
2)Alice in Chains - "Sap"
3) Gomez - "Machismo"
4) Radiohead - Airbag/How Am I Driving?
5) Beta Band's EPs.......

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 May 2016, 13:57

Beta Band! Shit yeah, forgot them!

I tried to only include new material EPs but I forgot My Iron Lung would still be eligible for that.

Also, Wire's new album needs to be in the mini albums list.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2016, 01:40

AdvertBreak wrote:Beta Band! Shit yeah, forgot them!

I tried to only include new material EPs but I forgot My Iron Lung would still be eligible for that.

Also, Wire's new album needs to be in the mini albums list.

Beta Band were awesome..wish they'd reunite...but I do love the Aliens and other of their side-projects....

Have you ever listened to Gomez's "Machismo" EP? It was recorded in 2000 and served as a transition between "Liquid Skin" and "In Our Gun"....Each of the five tunes on there cover a wide range of spectrum..... definitely worth checking out if you haven't!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 11 May 2016, 01:42

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Beta Band were awesome..wish they'd reunite...but I do love the Aliens and other of their side-projects....

Have you ever listened to Gomez's "Machismo" EP? It was recorded in 2000 and served as a transition between "Liquid Skin" and "In Our Gun"....Each of the five tunes on there cover a wide range of spectrum..... definitely worth checking out if you haven't!
I can't say if I have heard Machismo no. I'll definitely check it out, as those two albums are great.

I'd also love a Beta Band reunion. They were one of the best bands going at the time. Three terrific albums (3 EPs, s/t and Hot Shots II).

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2016, 01:52

[quote="AdvertBreak"
I can't say if I have heard Machismo no. I'll definitely check it out, as those two albums are great.
[/quote]

Here's the title track w/the rather hilarious video.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Lhiypu1Vg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 11 May 2016, 03:05

I'll get back to you on it.

Meanwhile, here's my top 15 EPs of the 90s. [New material releases only]

Again, its rushed and likely missing so much, considering I've only considered the same few bands over and over for this list.

2. My Bloody Valentine - Glider
3. My Bloody Valentine - Tremolo
4. The Chemical Brothers - Loops of Fury
5. Disco Inferno - Second Language
6. The Beta Band - Champion Versions
7. Radiohead - My Iron Lung
8. The Beta Band - Los Amigos del Beta Bandidos
9. Lush - Black Spring
10. Disco Inferno - It's a Kid's World
11. Lush - Sweetness and Light
12. The Beta Band - The Patty Patty Sound
13. The Dust Brothers (Chemical Brothers) - Fourteenth Century Sky
14. The Frogs - Starjob
15. Beck - A Western Harvest Field by Moonlight

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2016, 23:28

AdvertBreak wrote:I'll get back to you on it.
"Machismo" the title track is probably the weakest effort of the five songs..If you noticed I've posted thus far two others under the "Rate" thread.....

I was going to include MBV on my original list....they definitely churned out some impressive EPs......

I don't know if you've ever listened to Alice in Chains..they were and are known more for being a heavier Grunge band, but those two EPs presented an entirely different side of them...One song consisted of a collaboration from several other Grunge singers......please let me how you think of this one as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoHsR4IlUk8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 May 2016, 16:27

Are Portishead from Bristol or Portishead? Throughout my entire life, half of people say Bristol and half say Portishead.

I should know this (beause if they're Bristol they qualify as local) but I don't.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 May 2016, 21:45

I happen to live in Portishead and was a friend of a friend of Beth Gibbons, so I feel fairly qualified to say. :lol:

Geoff Barrow grew up in Portishead and named the band ironically after what for him was a typically boring, small town. But the band aren't strictly from there. Pretty sure Beth Gibbons is from Exeter? Bristol was where it all came together though.