Arcade Fire

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

He's So High

Arcade Fire

Post by He's So High » 24 Nov 2014, 21:14

I know we had a thread on the old forum, so here we go.

New solo song from Will Butler, really enjoying it. Album out in March.

http://pitchfork.com/news/57575-arcade- ... e-my-side/

TripleJay97

Re: Arcade Fire

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Nov 2014, 21:39

I'm listening to them now actually. One of my favourite bands, and one that's fun to follow and get excited about. They're yet to make a record that isn't critically acclaimed (although some would argue this is undeserved - see Overrated Music).

My favourite track is without a doubt Vampire/Forest Fire, but Une Annee Sans Lumiere follows closely behind.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 15 Jul 2015, 15:37

Intriguing...

http://www.stereogum.com/1816210/arcade ... mber/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 15 Jul 2015, 17:56

Oh, I was just thinking about starting a topic about them here... but there is already one, that's nice!

I just bought new headphones and one of the tests was my favorite album of AF, and maybe one of the favourites ever - "Neon Bible" (it's all in the signature, really :lol: ). I first heard of Arcade Fire when they won the Grammy, but at the time didn't enjoy their music at all - it was too complicated instrumentally and a bit boring. Then fast forward to the Reflektor release, I enjoyed the record very much and gave the band another try with the other albums. And how good Neon Bible is.. Arcade Fire may be overrated overall, but this album is for me soooo much better, soooo much more complete than The Suburbs and, dare I say, Funeral. "Black Mirror", title track, "Keep The Car Running", "My Body Is A Cage" - all are so great. Album's integrity, design, lyrics, themes and music appeal to me in a big way - and I'm really-really happy that at some point I didn't abandon their music completely.
He's So High wrote:Intriguing...

http://www.stereogum.com/1816210/arcade ... mber/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounds cool! Maybe one of the Reflektor outtakes, Get Right, will be released with the film... the song is deffo better than, for example, Flashbulb Eyes. I don't understand why it was thrown away.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 15 Jul 2015, 18:35

Yeah I'd like to see Get Right appear at some point.

Interesting that you think Neon Bible is their best album; it's my least favourite of theirs (though I love AF so still like this album a lot!). Having said that, I think songs like Keep the Car Running, Ocean of Noise and Intervention are up there with their best.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 15 Jul 2015, 20:26

He's So High wrote:Yeah I'd like to see Get Right appear at some point.

Interesting that you think Neon Bible is their best album; it's my least favourite of theirs (though I love AF so still like this album a lot!). Having said that, I think songs like Keep the Car Running, Ocean of Noise and Intervention are up there with their best.
I suppose a lot of people were a bit disappointed hearing this after "Funeral", which downplayed the reaction to Neon Bible. And they are still playing a lot of things from it live - Ocean of Noise, KTCR, snippets of ATB and MBIAC, which means they don't consider it a failure. I wish they played Black Mirror as well - some of the lives sound really cool.

And I still consider "The Suburbs" as my least favourite - it's just too long and maybe repetitive

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jul 2015, 21:02

The Suburbs is my favourite album. I was really into them when that came out and I managed to see them live in Cardiff when they toured in the UK. What a show, I was right down the front with a friend and we had a great view. Sadly a Welsh tosser behind me kept bugging me before they came on, something about being annoyed that I was stood in front of him even though I was there before he was. Fool.

Didn't pay much attention when their last album came out although I liked We Exist. The only thing I don't like about Arcade Fire is the woman, Régine Chassagne. She really annoys me post-Suburbs, don't know why.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Jul 2015, 21:04

The film's got me really excited! Listening to Funeral. This takes me wayyyyy back... Can't believe it's 10 years old!

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 15 Jul 2015, 21:47

I really, really liked Reflektor. It's got its detractors but I think that's inevitable for a band of AF's stature, particularly when there's a noticeable change in sound. It's probably my second favourite, behind Funeral.

I think Regine's great - I love her voice. Haiti is up there with my favourite AF tracks.

And they've just released this from the new film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SCH6Oeo8So" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 15 Jul 2015, 21:53

It's interesting to see four people enjoying three pretty much different albums from one band - maybe they're not overrated after all :lol:

The clip is cool - seems like it will be something close to "Mirroir Noir" film that they did

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Jul 2017, 16:47

Listening to their new album Everything Now. Pretty good so far.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 Jul 2017, 02:06

I'm not that big on it. Everyone I know seems to hate it, and I wouldn't go that far, but the lyrics can be quite bad at times, and the music uninspired. I like that they're going in a more dance-y direction, even after Reflektor, but I don't think they've done much with it. "Chemistry" is a really bad rocksteady pastiche, and everyone sounds half asleep on "Good God Damn", musically and vocally (and it also has the worst lyrics).

However, Peter Pan isn't as bad as people say it is. Electric Blue has an enjoyably off-kilter dynamic between the vocals and music, and the last few songs are pretty solid. Creature Comfort has some of the worst lyrics they've ever written in the verses, but the chorus is nice, as is the music.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Aug 2017, 20:31

The new album went to #1 in the UK on Friday and just went to #1 in the US not long ago. Pretty good. It's a great album.

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Aug 2017, 09:25

They are a very safe band, they remind me of travis. People only seemed to like them because there wasn't much else at the time.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Aug 2017, 19:27

stephen wrote:They are a very safe band, they remind me of travis. People only seemed to like them because there wasn't much else at the time.
How are they safe? They make great music.