Demon Days... Oh My God.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Demon Days... Oh My God.

Post by TripleJay97 » 17 Jun 2015, 22:24

HOW HAS IT BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE THE RELEASE OF THIS MIGHTY ALBUM?! AND HOW DID WE NOT NOTICE UNTIL A MONTH AFTERWARDS?!?!?!

Okay, so Demon Days by Gorillaz was very much my first album. I got into music around that time and I swiftly nicked it from my dad after hearing Feel Good Inc. and Clint Eastwood a lot on Q and NME TV. I remember taking my portable CD player under the bedcovers and playing the shit out of Kids With Guns, O Green World, Every Planet We Reach is Dead and especially the final two song epic.

As my introduction to the world of music, it was a pretty solid one, showing me great examples of just about every genre you could find, all without straying from the original idea, everything flowing perfectly. It was also the album that got me into Blur (SAME SINGER, WHAAAAA?). I owe my inquenchable thirst for beautiful, fantastic audio to this collection of tracks.

If you'd like to share your memories of this album, feel free.

Leahscarlet2

Re: Demon Days... Oh My God.

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 17 Jun 2015, 23:01

I remember this coming out when I was younger and being played a lot in my house. Honestly is one of the greatest albums and one of my favourites if not my favourite album of all time.
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Jun 2015, 23:06

My least favorite out of the three Gorillaz albums, but a bloody amazing record nevertheless! Still can't believe it's been ten years, though. Time sure does fly...

bugman

Post by bugman » 18 Jun 2015, 00:00

if this album hasn't all alone but have hong kong/spitting out of demonsit will be the best damon's album

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Jun 2015, 00:14

Damon's best album.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Melon_Collie

Post by Melon_Collie » 18 Jun 2015, 01:37

I wasn't "allowed" to listen to the first Gorillaz album because of the Parental Advisory sticker... so even though I saw Clint Eastwood on Toonami I was forced to forget about my desire to listen to the rest of the album. By the time Demon Days came out though... I was a slightly more disobedient kid so I went down to my record shop to buy it. While I was there... I saw the S/T as well and ended up buying them both! Deal with it, parents.

I listened to the shit out of both of them on my ipod mini while riding around on my Razor scooter. Holy shit that feels like ages ago.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 18 Jun 2015, 04:10

Ahh so many fond memories with this record. It was the first one where every song captivated me... a truly amazing experience, no doubt has shaped me, musically, in huge ways.

munch

Post by munch » 18 Jun 2015, 05:52

I don't want to talk about it...
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

JackS

Post by JackS » 18 Jun 2015, 08:30

Incredible album, but: one that I don't find myself listening to much nowadays strangely. I should probably rectify that.

Every Planet, Last Living Souls, Demon Days among some of the best tracks Damon has ever written; and O Green World and Kids With Guns live are unstoppable. I remember O Green World in the Birmingham Irish Club on the Plastic Beach tour, absolutely great performance.

jamoore1996

Post by jamoore1996 » 18 Jun 2015, 08:58

Best album of the 21st Century so far

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 18 Jun 2015, 11:20

It took me ages to warm up to it, unlike the self tittled and plastic beach, I think there's too much things going on in that album and I find these slow sad songs far too boring.. ie el mañana. There are certainly good songs, but I think there's too much of a hype around this album... imho

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Jun 2015, 11:34

Such a great album. Could Damon have been at the height of his powers around this time? Listened to it incessantly back at the time, and whenever I do play it now, which isn't too often, I realise I've left it too long and how much I love it.

daii

Post by daii » 18 Jun 2015, 11:55

damon was at his creativity peak.

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 18 Jun 2015, 14:42

JackS wrote:Incredible album, but: one that I don't find myself listening to much nowadays strangely. I should probably rectify that.

Every Planet, Last Living Souls, Demon Days among some of the best tracks Damon has ever written; and O Green World and Kids With Guns live are unstoppable. I remember O Green World in the Birmingham Irish Club on the Plastic Beach tour, absolutely great performance.
I was stood at the front at that. Totally agree. In terms of intimacy and atmosphere was the best gig I've ever been to.

Melon_Collie

Post by Melon_Collie » 18 Jun 2015, 14:44

daii wrote:damon was at his creativity peak.
Perhaps.
Though now we've got a fantastic Blur album in 2015,
with a Gorillaz album apparently coming in 2016
and another GBQ record just waiting to be recorded.