Gig: Zénith Paris, 15 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

beatfloh

Re: Gig: Paris, 15 June

Post by beatfloh » 17 Jun 2015, 10:41

Sarah wrote:
thom wrote:Recap: Blur au Zénith de Paris
Full HD Show: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHH1M ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link provides fast download and is available only for a short time. please use password Zénith to extract the Mp4 video file from the rar.
Thanks!! I can see myself ha :shock: this'll be nice to have once the post-tour marathon is over and I'm sad.
oh dear, so I might be on it as well, need to check tonight

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 17 Jun 2015, 11:09

Apparently this venue is famous for being the worst in paris in term of sound quality.

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 17 Jun 2015, 11:25

Also i need to say one more thing.
My life changed that day of July 2004 when i finally found a copy of the Budokan live, and when i heard for the first time a live version of He thought of Cars. I was litteraly dumbstruck! everything is brilliant about it. the bass line, the mix between damon's lead and graham backing vocals in the last chorus, the noisy ending that leads to Coping, the whole atmosphere... i'm not easily "moved" when i hear music, but those 5 minutes always make me shiver, even though i listened to this track a few hundred times, nothing has changed...

I was a dispapointed by the 2012 accoustic version of the song, but was still happy that the boys hadn't completely forgotten about it.

I intentionally avoided to look at the setlists of the first gigs of the tour, so that i could discover it live, in Paris.
I went litteraly mental when my brains recognised the intro (funiliy enough it took me a few seconds) of HTOC. I was sang every single word of it, (just like Smoggy :mrgreen: ) and i felt like i could never be happier! absolutely amazing.

BUT!

Alex, you little wanker! espèce de petit filou!
The guy can't play the bass anymore, so he simplified the best part of the song. You know, that very little part that make a good song turining into a classic...
It made me a little bit sad, but at least i now know why he doesn't play My Terracotta Heart properly...

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 17 Jun 2015, 12:08

Simon le bon wrote:Apparently this venue is famous for being the worst in paris in term of sound quality.
They have a point saying that. It's a wonderful place for a gig, shame for the sound quality, because the venue itself it's great.

Sean

Post by Sean » 17 Jun 2015, 13:08

Simon le bon wrote:
BUT!

Alex, you little wanker! espèce de petit filou!
The guy can't play the bass anymore, so he simplified the best part of the song. You know, that very little part that make a good song turining into a classic...
It made me a little bit sad, but at least i now know why he doesn't play My Terracotta Heart properly...
re HTOC and Alex's bass - do you mean the lovely descending bit in the chorus (la la la / brass bit)? Cos although the sound was a bit muddy in Blackpool I thought he'd skipped that part too and just played root notes instead.

Alex isn't really a musician any more is he...not like Graham and Damon are. I bet he hardly ever plays for his own amusement at home. He just doesn't seem that into music. And he likes Ellie Goulding for fucks sake.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Jun 2015, 13:52

Sean wrote:re HTOC and Alex's bass - do you mean the lovely descending bit in the chorus (la la la / brass bit)? Cos although the sound was a bit muddy in Blackpool I thought he'd skipped that part too and just played root notes instead.
I don't think he skipped that part during the Paris performance. Not sure what Simon is talking about.

Sean

Post by Sean » 17 Jun 2015, 14:59

Rubi wrote:
Sean wrote:re HTOC and Alex's bass - do you mean the lovely descending bit in the chorus (la la la / brass bit)? Cos although the sound was a bit muddy in Blackpool I thought he'd skipped that part too and just played root notes instead.
I don't think he skipped that part during the Paris performance. Not sure what Simon is talking about.
I'm a bit anal for stuff like that and I didn't notice it missing during the Paris show (I watched the stream). I can't be sure re Blackpool because I accidentally drank 10 pints of beer before the show and also the sound was a bit muddy.

trimmtrabb

Post by trimmtrabb » 17 Jun 2015, 15:18

I noticed the simplified bass in HTOC too!! the bass in that song is one of my all-time favourites, there's a video of them playing it on jools holland in 95 and you can hear alex's beautiful bass perfectly, especially after the chorus when the trumpets come in. I can't remember what recent gig it was that I noticed the missing bass parts, but I remember getting quite hyped about hearing alex do that bass again, and being a bit disappointed when he didn't.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Jun 2015, 15:33

Hmm I think Alex has been great during these shows, not sure where the "Alex doesn't like being a musician" comments are coming from.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sean

Post by Sean » 17 Jun 2015, 15:56

tom_cas1 wrote:Hmm I think Alex has been great during these shows, not sure where the "Alex doesn't like being a musician" comments are coming from.
I didn't say he doesn't like being a musician - fact is he's not a professional musician, not in the sense Damon & Graham are. They never stop making music, playing, creating, writing, recording. Alex doesn't do that. At all. I'm not laying into him, it's just a fact. He assimilated back into the real world, became a cheese-maker or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that, he's just not a day-to-day musician.

Likelylad

Post by Likelylad » 17 Jun 2015, 19:11

hi guys!
anyone got mp3s of the show with individuals songs?
You know I'll cherish you my love...

bugman

Post by bugman » 17 Jun 2015, 19:45

Likelylad wrote:hi guys!
anyone got mp3s of the show with individuals songs?
^ this ;]

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 18 Jun 2015, 18:59

watched the video of it. good show, though I didn't really like the "here we, here we, here we fucking go" at the beginning of Song 2 :?
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Nico

Post by Nico » 19 Jun 2015, 12:24

yeah Smoggy singed on some songs, that was really funny

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 20 Jun 2015, 08:28

metalhipslop wrote:watched the video of it. good show, though I didn't really like the "here we, here we, here we fucking go" at the beginning of Song 2 :?
Agreed, I thought that was a bit unnecessary but a great show though
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”