underrated

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sledge Hammer

Re: underrated

Post by Sledge Hammer » 05 May 2015, 10:41

Caitlin wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:"Tender" is actually really good. It just REALLY drags on.
I've always been a bit too afraid to talk about my feelings for Tender around here, but this pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.
Self indulgent production from Orbit not helping again imo, ok lads just keep going people want to hear a nearly 8 min version....WRONG!

Don't even have it on my own Best Of Blur in the car as it drags so much...and it has 120 Blur songs on it...Tender didn't pass the drag test!

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 05 May 2015, 10:42

Leisure and The Great Escape are BY FAR the most underrated albums.
Also: Instrumentals. Always considered as somewhat second class songs.

Leisure: Everything is underrated except Sing and There's no Other Way.

MLIR: Pressure on Julian, Starshaped, Miss America, Villa Rosie, Sunday Sunday

Parklife: Tracy Jacks, The Debt Collector, Far Out, Trouble in the Message Centre (though I see it getting more love recently), Lot 105. Magic America and Clover Over Dover aren't much appreciated but I don't particularly like them either.

TGE: EVERYTHING except The Universal and He Thought of Cars.

Blur: Song 2 (somehow its popularity makes us forget how fantastic it actually is), M.O.R, On YourOwn, Theme From Retro, I'm Just a Killer for your Love, Look Inside America (don't particularly like it), Movin' On (one of my faves in this album).

13: Am I the only one for whom it's hard to think of this album as separate songs and not as an entity? But I tend to see some songs are more mentioned than these: 1992, BLUREMI, Mellow Song, Trailerpark, Optigan 1

Think Tank: Good Song, Brothers and Sisters, We've Got a File On You, Moroccan etc, and then we've got the controversial Crazy Beat (hate it), Gene by Gene (love it), and Jets (depends on the day XD).

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 05 May 2015, 18:46

I think bang is great, so is the video
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 05 May 2015, 19:43

Caitlin wrote:Caravan was the first song I think I ever really fell in love with. That feeling of loss and then the chorus of "I try to quit/But my heart won't buy it/I got family/The caravan comes back for me" gets me EVERY BLOODY TIME because it's hope and longing and I could probably write several very poorly worded but lengthy essays about how much I love Caravan...
+1

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 05 May 2015, 19:47

starshaped!!!

Sean

Post by Sean » 05 May 2015, 19:48

I like Bang too.

I think 1992 is very underrated.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 May 2015, 19:56

Underrated:

High Cool
One of the best songs on Leisure but it barely gets any love. Don't understand it. Underrated.

Jubilee
It seems everyone on this forum hates it but me and I have no idea why. Great guitar from Graham, a fun track. Underrated.

Top Man
Another track only I seem to like. Why?! Great song, give it some lovin'!! Underrated.

Mr. Robinson's Quango
Cool track, almost a James Bond theme going on musically. It may not be their best song but it deserves more attention than it gets. Underrated.

It Could Be You
One of the best songs Blur have ever done yet it's discarded by Blur fans left right and centre. Underrated.

Theme From Retro
Awesome song from the self-titled album which really showcased the new direction the band were taking. A brilliant piece of music, Blur at their experimental finest. Underrated.

Ambulance
I know a lot of people on the forum love it but more people should too. One of the best Blur songs, their best album opener, great bass from Alex. So underrated.

Jets
Very cool and very different. People don't like it because of the sax? Ridiculous. More killer bass from Alex. Underrated.

Ice Cream Man
I saw this described as a filler track earlier today, I almost spat out my Weetabix. One of the best songs on The Magic Whip and people prefer My Terracotta Heart? I don't believe it. Underrated.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 05 May 2015, 19:56

blurop4 wrote:Underrated...I tried to identify songs that are not hated per se, but are not as appreciated. This list is probably too long.

B-Sides (some of the best songs by Blur)
Get Out of Cities
That's a great song!! there's a couple of songs in the S/T that I'd happily ditch and replace with this one, namely look inside america and I'm just a killer for your love
Last edited by sara-m-a on 05 May 2015, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 05 May 2015, 20:00

topman:
tune and lyrics are a bit bland to me
dumb midi sounds
damon lays on his fake accent even thicker than usual
what was with the arabian themes

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 05 May 2015, 20:13

jets is the best track on think tank for me

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 05 May 2015, 20:20

tom_cas1 wrote:Underrated:

High Cool
One of the best songs on Leisure but it barely gets any love. Don't understand it. Underrated.

Jubilee
It seems everyone on this forum hates it but me and I have no idea why. Great guitar from Graham, a fun track. Underrated.

It Could Be You
One of the best songs Blur have ever done yet it's discarded by Blur fans left right and centre. Underrated.

Ice Cream Man
I saw this described as a filler track earlier today, I almost spat out my Weetabix. One of the best songs on The Magic Whip and people prefer My Terracotta Heart? I don't believe it. Underrated.
high cool is indeed one of the best cuts from leisure, but then leisure is painfully ignored
jubilee... when i was young it was a favourite for sure, was always great live too. hoever i am not a fan of the brass heavy version that they have played since the reunion
it could be you is a favourite of mine for sure, overlooked because of the album its on really
ice cream man is one of my favourites on the new record, and haha i cannot believe anyone honestly prefers MTH ha

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 05 May 2015, 20:23

tom_cas1 wrote:Ice Cream Man
I thought we had agreed there were NO fillers in TWM, get that forumer's membership removed asap! :lol:

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 05 May 2015, 21:20

no one ever talks about cowboy song. one of my all time favourite blur songs.

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 05 May 2015, 23:59

Rednecks
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 06 May 2015, 03:04

sara-m-a wrote:
blurop4 wrote:Underrated...I tried to identify songs that are not hated per se, but are not as appreciated. This list is probably too long.

B-Sides (some of the best songs by Blur)
Get Out of Cities
That's a great song!! there's a couple of songs in the S/T that I'd happily ditch and replace with this one, namely look inside america and I'm just a killer for your love
I guess it makes sense in some way that Get Out of Cities is not an album track, but it is so much fun, insanely catchy, and has awesome guitar parts buried in the mix...classic Blur! I'd love to hear more like this.