Favourite TMW Studio Versions?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

What's your 3 favourite songs from the Magic Whip?

Lonesome Street
10%
New World Towers
3%
Go Out
8%
Ice Cream Man
10%
Thought I Was a Spaceman
13%
I Broadcast
5%
My Terracotta Heart
4%
There Are Too Many of Us
4%
Ghost Ship
12%
Pyongyang
19%
Ong Ong
5%
Mirrorball
6%
Y'all Doomed
1%

Total votes: 135

Sean

Re: Favourite TMW Studio Versions?

Post by Sean » 21 Apr 2015, 10:49

Yeah Lonesome Street is brilliant but we're taking it for granted now.

The 'oh nooooo' bit at the end of Graham's little Syd section is still one of my favourite moments on the whole album. Pure joy.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 21 Apr 2015, 10:57

I'm glad some of you are still holding onto the released tracks! I just got the feeling we were all lured by the novelty of the rest of the tracks :P

Rubi, do you really find the studio version of Though I was a Spaceman that different?

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 Apr 2015, 11:11

Only 2 votes for Ong Ong? OMG!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2015, 11:21

Jensen wrote:I'm glad some of you are still holding onto the released tracks! I just got the feeling we were all lured by the novelty of the rest of the tracks :P

Rubi, do you really find the studio version of Though I was a Spaceman that different?
Not that different, but I feel the live version has more energy to it. I miss Graham's "rough" guitars on a few tracks.
Neal Zeal wrote:Only 2 votes for Ong Ong? OMG!
Yeah, shocking. It's such a lovely feel-good song.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 21 Apr 2015, 11:29

Rubi wrote: Not that different, but I feel the live version has more energy to it. I miss Graham's "rough" guitars on a few tracks.
I guess that happens with most of the tracks... The live energy is different and the overall vibe of the song changes.

I think it was all a strategy for us to buy the forthcoming The Magic Whip LIVE album 8-) That way we will own all the versions! ;)

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 21 Apr 2015, 11:29

Not feeling the massive love for Pyongyang...it's nowhere near as good as The Universal or This Is A Low, I'm not getting the goosebumps those songs still give me, think there's a bit of overreaction as we so happy getting new stuff...

Sean

Post by Sean » 21 Apr 2015, 11:34

Sledge Hammer wrote:Not feeling the massive love for Pyongyang...it's nowhere near as good as The Universal or This Is A Low, I'm not getting the goosebumps those songs still give me, think there's a bit of overreaction as we so happy getting new stuff...
Or maybe people just like it more than you do. 8-)
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

JackS

Post by JackS » 21 Apr 2015, 11:52

I'm of the firm belief that the studio version of Ghost Ship is one of the best things Blur have ever done.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2015, 12:12

Sledge Hammer wrote:Not feeling the massive love for Pyongyang...it's nowhere near as good as The Universal or This Is A Low, I'm not getting the goosebumps those songs still give me, think there's a bit of overreaction as we so happy getting new stuff...
The live version for me does.
JackS wrote:I'm of the firm belief that the studio version of Ghost Ship is one of the best things Blur have ever done.
Aye, really loving it.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Apr 2015, 12:21

I think the production is spot on. Streety has a done a sterling job.

I thought is was telling when Graham was talking on Lamacq's show last night, and he was describing how he considered producers. He was looking for someone who wouldn't add too much of their own flavour, someone they could trust and who would leave it still sounding like their record. Reference, intentional or not, to their experience with William Orbit perhaps.

I can't get over how strong this set of songs is. To think that it only exists due to the most capricious of circumstances: gig cancellation; Hong Kong downtime and they decide to stay; Graham deciding to pick the tracks up again; and finally it all coming together satisfactorily for Damon in particular to go, 'Yeah, this is great - let's go for it.' And after all that, we've ended up with *possibly* one of their strongest albums.

Incredible stuff. I'm so happy right now to be a Blur fan. :D

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2015, 13:05

I woke up today and the first thing I thought of was " The Magic Whip" and went straight to Ghost Ship followed by Pyongyang. What an album. I feel I'm focusing on certain songs more at the moment though, not that I dislike the others. It's just that after the MODE show Ice Cream Man and Pyongyang were songs I was looking forward to hearing the most. And now Ghost Ship has proven to be a gem too.

But the album as a whole is perfect. I had reservations about My Terracotta Heart after hearing it live but the studio version makes more sense to me and I love it. In fact there isn't a song I don't love right now. A solid 8/10 for me which will no doubt increase as time goes on.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 21 Apr 2015, 13:31

I definitely like the live Pyongyang better. I like the surfy reverb vibrato feel Graham gets with the Jazzmaster, how Dave is handling all the drum duties rather than sharing them with the machine and how much tighter the heavy part is.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2015, 14:12

davidsutter wrote:I definitely like the live Pyongyang better. I like the surfy reverb vibrato feel Graham gets with the Jazzmaster, how Dave is handling all the drum duties rather than sharing them with the machine and how much tighter the heavy part is.
Exactly.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2015, 14:36

Dave IS handling the drum duties on Pyongyang, what are you two smoking?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 21 Apr 2015, 14:39

tom_cas1 wrote:Dave IS handling the drum duties on Pyongyang, what are you two smoking?
he might have played the e-drums on it i guess but i do prefer the traditional drum kit sound of the live, that's all i'm saying
but there are definitely songs where the mixture works better
like spaceman, ong ong and ice cream man
Last edited by davidsutter on 21 Apr 2015, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.