Talk Talk Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sledge Hammer

Talk Talk Thread

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 11:36

Having seen Blur mention the influence of Talk Talk quite often in recent times, about time the most underrated band of the 80's had their own thread, quite a story from synth pop band to...well hard to label them really later on! taking Emi to court and sadly Mark Hollis practically retiring way too early...offers of big pay days to reform for one off date's etc have never been taken up...

A lot of new fans don't give as much respect to the first few albums (which I love) and I obviously admire Spirit Of Eden, Laughing Stock not so much for me...to me they hit the perfect mix of pop sensibilities and experimental sound with The Colour Of Spring just wish they had done a couple more albums like that (though Hollis would never repeat himself...sadly :) )

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Talk Talk Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Apr 2015, 11:41

I've always loved them...I remember them when "It's My Life" (both the album and title song) was first released and how I fell in love w/their sound then (I was merely 7 at the time). Although, my fave track of theirs is "Life's What You Make It"..... They to me are vastly underrated by the masses, but I know several others (beyond Blur) have cited them as major influences. One of those include Gomez. Such a shame that they will never reunite!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 11:49

My Top 10:

1. Its My Life (Hit me when I heard first heard it on re-release in 1990, still fresh today, sadly ignored by radio 1 back in 1984 (no 42!) )
2. Living In Another World (Epic stuff - Steve Winwood on organ)
3. Time Its Time
4. Such A Shame
5. Give It Up
6. Life's What You Make It
7. I Believe In You
8. I Don't Believe In You
9. Talk Talk
10. Why Is It So Hard (12" US Remix Extended)

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 11:53

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I've always loved them...I remember them when "It's My Life" (both the album and title song) was first released and how I fell in love w/their sound then (I was merely 7 at the time). Although, my fave track of theirs is "Life's What You Make It"..... They to me are vastly underrated by the masses, but I know several others (beyond Blur) have cited them as major influences. One of those include Gomez. Such a shame that they will never reunite!
Nice!! wish I had heard it back in 1984, did Radio 1 ignore them? must have done with such an 80s loved tune not even making the top 40! if I had heard them back then I am sure I would have bought them as I was into Madness, Adam Ant etc back then...

Wonder what Mark Hollis actually does every day, he had such talent and has basically left it all behind for most of the last 20 years...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Apr 2015, 12:05

Sledge Hammer wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I've always loved them...I remember them when "It's My Life" (both the album and title song) was first released and how I fell in love w/their sound then (I was merely 7 at the time). Although, my fave track of theirs is "Life's What You Make It"..... They to me are vastly underrated by the masses, but I know several others (beyond Blur) have cited them as major influences. One of those include Gomez. Such a shame that they will never reunite!
Nice!! wish I had heard it back in 1984, did Radio 1 ignore them? must have done with such an 80s loved tune not even making the top 40! if I had heard them back then I am sure I would have bought them as I was into Madness, Adam Ant etc back then...

Wonder what Mark Hollis actually does every day, he had such talent and has basically left it all behind for most of the last 20 years...

I'm from the States and "It's My Life" (title track) video was played heavily in MTV's regular rotation along with several of the UK bands from that era. I also loved Madness (but too bad people here only think of "Our House" when there's several better songs in their catalog) and Adam Ant was wonderful!

I bet Hollis writes music everyday, but doesn't have any vehicle or outlet for it now...But I bet he cringes each and every time he hears No Doubt's lame remake of "It's My Life"!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 12:12

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:

I'm from the States and "It's My Life" (title track) video was played heavily in MTV's regular rotation along with several of the UK bands from that era. I also loved Madness (but too bad people here only think of "Our House" when there's several better songs in their catalog) and Adam Ant was wonderful!

I bet Hollis writes music everyday, but doesn't have any vehicle or outlet for it now...But I bet he cringes each and every time he hears No Doubt's lame remake of "It's My Life"!
Yeah they were pretty big in Europe aswell but It's My Life was strangely ignored here back then, the irony was they were nominated for best British band in 1991 on the back of the 1990 Very Best of re-release and sold 1 million copies+ of it :)

...and Hollis...if he had the tech at home could release music straight to the internet these days, no need for videos etc (Blur! :D ) but he did say years ago he had said all he needed to say in music, and silence was the strongest instrument he had...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Apr 2015, 12:23

First, I must finally ask you...did the Peter Gabriel song influence your screen name?

Anyways, that is odd that "It's My Life" did not receive its proper due in Europe until the early 90s! It also reminds me how several bands from here in the States became more famous in the UK than here.... I guess why it took a little while for Talk Talk to become more appreciated was that they were so ahead of their time and several still haven't caught up to them. They somewhat remind of the Fixx in that regards (but the Fixx might have had more sustainable commercial success).

"Silence was the strongest instrument he had"? He must finally realize the nonsense in that! His voice to me ranks right up there with other vocalists.....So distinctive!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 12:39

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:First, I must finally ask you...did the Peter Gabriel song influence your screen name?

Anyways, that is odd that "It's My Life" did not receive its proper due in Europe until the early 90s! It also reminds me how several bands from here in the States became more famous in the UK than here.... I guess why it took a little while for Talk Talk to become more appreciated was that they were so ahead of their time and several still haven't caught up to them. They somewhat remind of the Fixx in that regards (but the Fixx might have had more sustainable commercial success).

"Silence was the strongest instrument he had"? He must finally realize the nonsense in that! His voice to me ranks right up there with other vocalists.....So distinctive!
:lol: No one of my other faves is from your great lands, Inspector Sledge Hammer! another ahead of its time underrated item (came out before The Naked Gun films, yes I know of Police Squad but Naked Gun deffo took from Sledge).

Here is a scene from the first few minutes of the first ever episode from 1986, cant see that allowed on tv these days lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03Dtu1r6nk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 12:44

"Silence was the strongest instrument he had"? what he meant was the "space" in the music which Graham has spoke about recently...

This quote from Wiki sums up the situation in the UK at the time...

"Talk Talk achieved considerable international success in 1984/85, particularly in continental Europe, Australia and New-Zealand, with the album It's My Life. The accompanying single "Such a Shame" (a song inspired by the book The Dice Man) became a Top 10 hit in Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Switzerland during this period. The title track of the album was also a Top 10 hit in Italy (where a remix of six songs from the album, It's My Mix, was the #86 best-selling album of 1985, and entered the U.S., Canadian, French, German, New Zealand and Netherlands Top 40. A third single, "Dum Dum Girl", was a success in some European countries and in New Zealand however, the album and its singles were largely ignored in the UK. Commercial success notwithstanding, the band made deliberate choices that moved it away from the mainstream. The music video for "It's My Life", for instance, featured a grumpy Hollis who mocks lip-synching; after EMI protested, they re-shot the video, turning it into "a total piss-take of lip-synching", in Alan McGee's words."

Ignored in the UK! gets me mad that I never heard it back then, cheers Radio 1! (that's all there was back then...)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 Apr 2015, 13:44

Talk Talk are one of my all time favourite bands!

I first knew the (brilliant) extended version of Talk Talk from over a decade ago and then the 12" of Such a Shame from precisely a decade ago and as such I thought of them as an "80s band" even though both of these extended versions feature great instrumental passages. The extended version of Talk Talk with the army of percussion culminating in the piano being an almost goosebump sort of moment.

Years later I got into them through simply looking them up and then realising what they were actually like post-1985. Blur, Radiohead and so on citing them as an influence. Then you made a thread on the old forum about them which was always my favourite band thread (probably because I contributed to it so much). I first bought 'Classic' in £3 for Tesco but before I knew it I went out to buy The Colour of Spring for £10.99 which is perhaps one of the best £11 I have ever spent. Its my 4th favourite album of all time. Not a single track is out of place and I could play it over and over and never get bored. The singles are now more broadly art rock or even alternative rock, the quiet stuff is truly beautiful and still is enhanced by Mark's voice (my favourite singing voice by far) and also points towards what came next. Then there's the fantastic Happiness is Easy, highlighting he is actually a great songwriter as well as my favourite singer in one of my favourite groups. Also, never has a child chorus sounded so good, it fits the song brilliantly.

So then, Spirit of Eden. I knew what I was getting having known half of it anyway (which was more than enough of a motive to buy it). My 8th favourite album of all time. Absolutely beautiful. It doesn't even start until 2 minutes in and then when it does it sends goosebumps on end (happens quite a lot with this album). The mysterious lyrics of The Rainbow still entice me and his voice when he sings the sort of 'chorus' (even though it has different lyrics each time) is like ethereal comfort. I know that sounds weird but its just some of the best music ever made to me. Eden's chorus makes it a heartbreaker (and a great one at that). Desire is easily the best 'sudden loud part' track in existence. The best thing on side two is perhaps my favourite track of all time, 'I Believe in You', a truly hairs-on-end experience. The strange thing is is that it wasn't a single. It's not very commercial as such but looking at the single edit's music video (which they regret) it makes me confused to see how anyone passed on buying it.

Laughing Stock. My 10th favourite album ever. I'll just stick to talking about my three favourites. The loud, post-rock post-punk even sort of chaos of Ascension Day and the fantastic jazz percussion and the ever-relieving voice of Mark. The 10 minute beauty of After the Flood, again with that chaotic jazz percussion somehow forming the perfect backing to a beautifully composed track. Then there's New Grass, a track I have listened to over and over and over, sad but comforting in short.

And what of early pop Talk Talk? The Party's Over has its moments but its a shame it dosen't have the extended version of Talk Talk instead of the therefor-weak as fuck 7" version. Today reminds me of The Teardrop Explodes and almost veers on dark wave. It's My Life has the title track, which not even No Doubt could ruin. Musically its one of the best hooks in 80s pop and of course there's Mark's singing voice on it to make it stand out from the crowd.

Hey I'm not reading any of this back. It probably will come across as sort of sentimental ha, but seriously, the inventors of post-rock as they've been called, are one of the very biggest treats I have ever discovered.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Apr 2015, 13:59

Hey great read Advert!

Yeah that Talk Talk version is great, in fact they had some great 12" version's that didn't detract from the originals. I bought the tape of this in 1990, it practically never left the car in the early 1990s, the Why Is It So Hard 12" is a ton better than the 7" aswell, this set of mixes was not even given an official UK release!

http://www.discogs.com/Talk-Talk-Its-My ... ster/25627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tracklist
Why Is It So Hard? (12" U.S. Remix - Extended Version) 6:03
Talk Talk (12" Mix - Extended Version) 4:32
My Foolish Friend (12" Mix - Extended Version) 5:26
It's My Life (12" Mix - Extended Version) 6:14
Dum Dum Girl (12" Remix - Extended Version) 5:20
Such A Shame (12" U.S. Remix - Extended Version) 6:24

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Apr 2015, 19:29

Sledge Hammer wrote: :lol: No one of my other faves is from your great lands, Inspector Sledge Hammer! another ahead of its time underrated item (came out before The Naked Gun films, yes I know of Police Squad but Naked Gun deffo took from Sledge).

Here is a scene from the first few minutes of the first ever episode from 1986, cant see that allowed on tv these days lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03Dtu1r6nk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh....that makes more perfect sense! :D

I took that "silent" quote way out context...I was very low in the intake there! :oops: Yeah....Hollis seems so livid throughout the "It's My Life" video to the extent that it is even hysterical! Yeah, it's rather peculiar that they initially didn't generate heavy appreciation in the UK, but you hinted about how the music landscape during that particular period was.... The New Romantic type bands were more embraced so it seemed....

AdvertBreak, excellent post....I'm glad that others in more recent generations took a liking to band such as Talk Talk which will enable their legacy to live in and most deservedly so!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 12 Apr 2015, 14:39

This is comedy and shows that Hollis never really had any intention of playing the media game...nearly as awkward as some Blur interviews, another influence :lol:

"It's gonna be a sensation man, know what I mean?" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWGeOP7HP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Refusing to speak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAxR1JlT0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Apr 2015, 05:55

Sledge Hammer wrote:This is comedy and shows that Hollis never really had any intention of playing the media game...nearly as awkward as some Blur interviews, another influence :lol:

"It's gonna be a sensation man, know what I mean?" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWGeOP7HP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Refusing to speak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAxR1JlT0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those are classics! haha...Somewhat reminds me when Rivers Cuomo was younger...He was rather "elusive" as well! But Hollis just needed his music to speak for him and that my friend is him at his best!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Apr 2015, 07:40

Sledge Hammer wrote:Ignored in the UK! gets me mad that I never heard it back then, cheers Radio 1! (that's all there was back then...)
Daytime Radio 1 had a general indifference to anything 'indie' in those years. :cry:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."