Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by Forever Low Man » 26 Mar 2015, 13:29

Westway wrote:but on the plus side im excited for tmw now
IT'S A MIRACLE
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

User avatar
My Name Is Mud
Posts: 1172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 07:40
Location: Dublin

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by My Name Is Mud » 26 Mar 2015, 16:13

Forever Low Man wrote:
Westway wrote:but on the plus side im excited for tmw now
IT'S A MIRACLE
It really is. :shock:
Image

User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by He's So High » 26 Mar 2015, 19:42

I wasn't overly enamoured with it last year; a few pretty tunes here and there but nothing overly special. However, I listened to it last week for the first time in a few months and I think it's only got better in that time. Sure, it's not catchy Britpop choruses but I think the atmosphere and the subtlety of the album has got better with age.

User avatar
JackS
Posts: 469
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:46
Location: London

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by JackS » 27 Mar 2015, 14:50

For me, these songs were superb live - saw them at RAH and QMU, two great gigs with a very tight band.

I am a fan of the album, but: You & Me annoys me, far too long for its own good. I got bored of Mr Tembo pretty quickly, but may like it again after a few months not listening to it.

In my opinion, Hostiles, Selfish Giant, History of a Cheating Heart and, yes, Everyday Robots are excellent songs.

User avatar
britpopunionblur
Posts: 132
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 16:44

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by britpopunionblur » 29 Mar 2015, 03:21

Does anyone find comparisons with Damon solo work and that of Thom Yorkes? Both artists love electronics and have a melancholy sound. I find the only difference is Damon can't lose his essence for writing those Britpop style ballads (with a different production). Where as Thom is more experimenting more with beats and leaves less in melody. More so just mumbles words.

For a review ,Everyday Robots is just an alright album.Lonely Press Play, Selfish Giant,You and Me,Hollow Ponds, and Photographs are my standouts. Songs I like - Everyday Robots, History of a Cheating Heart, and Heavy Seas Of Love. Song I HATE - Hostiles!!!! (boring melody), and Mr.Tembo is what it is (harmless).

This is one of my least favorite things to come from Albarn ( along with Dr.Dee and Rocket Juice and The Moon (decent) as well). Things have slowly been going down for him after Plastic Beach.I do love The Fall, but see it for what it is. With The Magic Whip things are making a turn around for the better so he hasn't lost it.

By the way no one talks about it much but Monkey: Journey To The West was pretty sweet.
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

metalhipslop
Posts: 803
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 02:13
Location: The Great White North

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by metalhipslop » 29 Mar 2015, 03:26

aahhh man, Hostiles is one of the best tracks on Everyday Robots. How can you hate it :shock:

Yes, you are right about Monkey... such an amazing album, I wish I could of seen the opera. Confessions of a Pig is one of the best pieces of music i've heard.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

User avatar
britpopunionblur
Posts: 132
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 16:44

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by britpopunionblur » 29 Mar 2015, 03:52

metalhipslop wrote:aahhh man, Hostiles is one of the best tracks on Everyday Robots. How can you hate it :shock:

Yes, you are right about Monkey... such an amazing album, I wish I could of seen the opera. Confessions of a Pig is one of the best pieces of music i've heard.
I know it seems to people in reviews favorites. Never has done anything for me. Besides the chorus which I can hum sometimes. People compare it to Hollow Ponds, but I don't even see the similarities. Plus I think it's lack of instrumentation and just Damons guitar sliding up and down the neck. Just find it boring. To me it almost like a barebones version of Green Fields. Same thing can be said about You and Me, but lyrics are more engaging for me. Plus we got the reward with the "Me" section. Also what is an LCD's (is it a TV)
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

User avatar
britpopunionblur
Posts: 132
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 16:44

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by britpopunionblur » 29 Mar 2015, 04:06

To me Selfish Giant is the best song. I find this album ( and a lot of the times Albarn get melancholic) they melodies are slow and not saying much lyrically (on a personal level). Most of the time his lyrics don't have that attachment that everyone can get behind. Not saying he can't write songs that do (No Distance Left To Run is great example of getting it right). The Selfish Giant is one of the few, it has a feel of saying something important and hits your heart.

"I had a dream you were leaving,
its hard to be a lover when the tv's on
and nothing is in your eyes".
That speaks volumes to me.

More so than

'Put your foot down in the right hand lane
If you are with me
'Til the trains re-run
And the rush-hour is come
And the mid frequencies sung
Have sent you to sleep". Which is basically all of Hostiles and some other tracks.

There might be a decent phrase here and there. Yet nothing that would make you truly feel anything. Not saying that entirely a bad thing. I find there are redeeming moments in it's minimalistic music. Though when it comes to bare naked lyrics, a lot of just seems to scratch the surface of emotion. I'm sure these lyrics do mean a lot to Damon. Just thought i'd get to know the man more. This was supposed to be a personal album
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

metalhipslop
Posts: 803
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 02:13
Location: The Great White North

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by metalhipslop » 29 Mar 2015, 04:55

I think all the lyrics on the album are personal and can be interpreted in different ways. that main lyric you are talking about in Selfish Giant just sounds the most domestic on the album, i think. when I first heard it I didn't think "oh that line is about someone going out into the dark ocean, in a submarine, looking at monitors", which is essentially the image damon had in mind when he wrote it, apparently. Because that song is inspired by a visit to Dunoon in Scotland during a Blur tour. Suzi (his partner) didn't like that song because of that lyric lol (must be the reason it was hardly played live), but Richard insisted he put it on the record.

I like the lyrics to Hostile. Just a song about being hungover, watching television/playing video games to pass the time. It may not be important in the same way you look at lyrics but it is to me... Just like Badhead by Blur. but it sounds like a day in the life song that anybody can interpret their own way, unlike something like Fool's Day which are a bit too straightforward to the point... Especially if it is a personal album about Damon's life, it shouldn't sound like it is him saying "LISTEN TO THESE LYRICS ABOUT THINGS IN MY LIFE, THEY ARE IMPORTANT". It's a very personal album, to Damon anyway. I would hate this album if every lyric was meant to speak volumes to people about his life. Hollow Ponds was good enough.

Anyway, i don't know what I'm going on about.. Damon's a very underrated lyrcist in my opinion. I like how he made the lyrics about stuff that happened in his life but still managed to make it relateable to people, or tried to, in your case..
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

User avatar
britpopunionblur
Posts: 132
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 16:44

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by britpopunionblur » 29 Mar 2015, 05:38

I'm just saying I don't feel anything, when he sings these lyrics. I'm not saying they are not good poetry, but from a lyric standpoint I don't want to sing along and relate to them. Just a song about being hungover, watching television/playing video games to pass the time (didn't thats what it was about). Fools Day I love that song and even though its Damon going through his own experience of everyday life. I find it still more relatable on a personal level. Plus again just love the song. Best Graham riff/solo of all time for me
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Mar 2015, 09:25

Damon's lyrical style on the whole is to write obliquely when he's tackling personal matters. I prefer that myself, as it leaves more room for interpretation and I quite like that in music - provides space to appreciate a song in more than one way. Fool's Day felt lazy to me for that very reason. It was lyrically prosaic.

Although Everyday Robots was easily the most personal set of songs he's ever released, you wouldn't necessarily know the 'meaning' of each song just from a first listen. I found that BBC2 Culture Show documentary he did last year, revisiting places from childhood, helped put some of the songs in context and explain some details. But I could still enjoy them without that prior knowledge. Speaking of which, I could really do with a video of that...
Image

User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by He's So High » 29 Mar 2015, 10:13

101reykjavik wrote:Damon's lyrical style on the whole is to write obliquely when he's tackling personal matters. I prefer that myself, as it leaves more room for interpretation and I quite like that in music - provides space to appreciate a song in more than one way. Fool's Day felt lazy to me for that very reason. It was lyrically prosaic.

Although Everyday Robots was easily the most personal set of songs he's ever released, you wouldn't necessarily know the 'meaning' of each song just from a first listen. I found that BBC2 Culture Show documentary he did last year, revisiting places from childhood, helped put some of the songs in context and explain some details. But I could still enjoy them without that prior knowledge. Speaking of which, I could really do with a video of that...
If you mean the Culture Show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDaaez11Rs

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Mar 2015, 10:46

He's So High wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:Damon's lyrical style on the whole is to write obliquely when he's tackling personal matters. I prefer that myself, as it leaves more room for interpretation and I quite like that in music - provides space to appreciate a song in more than one way. Fool's Day felt lazy to me for that very reason. It was lyrically prosaic.

Although Everyday Robots was easily the most personal set of songs he's ever released, you wouldn't necessarily know the 'meaning' of each song just from a first listen. I found that BBC2 Culture Show documentary he did last year, revisiting places from childhood, helped put some of the songs in context and explain some details. But I could still enjoy them without that prior knowledge. Speaking of which, I could really do with a video of that...
If you mean the Culture Show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDaaez11Rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent - thank you! I should have looked myself...
Image

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1464
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by aldamasta » 29 Mar 2015, 18:09

101reykjavik wrote:
He's So High wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:Damon's lyrical style on the whole is to write obliquely when he's tackling personal matters. I prefer that myself, as it leaves more room for interpretation and I quite like that in music - provides space to appreciate a song in more than one way. Fool's Day felt lazy to me for that very reason. It was lyrically prosaic.

Although Everyday Robots was easily the most personal set of songs he's ever released, you wouldn't necessarily know the 'meaning' of each song just from a first listen. I found that BBC2 Culture Show documentary he did last year, revisiting places from childhood, helped put some of the songs in context and explain some details. But I could still enjoy them without that prior knowledge. Speaking of which, I could really do with a video of that...
If you mean the Culture Show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDaaez11Rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent - thank you! I should have looked myself...
daii posted a link on the Live Downloads forum of Damon bootlegs and the Culture Show was on there for download, if you want it!

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Mar 2015, 19:12

Even better! :D Thanks.
Image

Post Reply