Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

thespider

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots album reviews

Post by thespider » 24 Mar 2015, 23:22

I love minimalistic production. Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't so raw sounding.

These days so many albums are ruined by massively compressed dynamic range and OTT production (especially heavy metal records- METALLICA MUCH????) so it's nice to see a change from that.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2015, 23:24

Stephen Street hits the perfect range, Everyday Ropants sounded like it was done in a cupboard.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Mar 2015, 23:28

Sledge Hammer wrote:I'm sorry I just find the whole minimalist production approach unlistenable, where as with all three of these Blur songs I love each of them, I guess it's just the perfect mix of Graham, and the smaller mix of Alex and Dave...I just feel we have missed out on some simply amazing music 2003-2014, but I am thankful for The Magic Whip as Damon could have refused I guess...
Well if it wasn't for Damon, the recordings wouldn't have existed in the first place! Graham was content was lounging about in the hotel for 5 days. So without both Damon and Graham's initiatives this album wouldn't have happened.

thespider

Post by thespider » 24 Mar 2015, 23:30

Sledge Hammer wrote:Stephen Street hits the perfect range, Everyday Ropants sounded like it was done in a cupboard.
Well then you should read the interview with Graham in Uncut about recording in Hong Kong. His guitar amp was actually IN a cupboard :lol:

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2015, 23:32

aldamasta wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:I'm sorry I just find the whole minimalist production approach unlistenable, where as with all three of these Blur songs I love each of them, I guess it's just the perfect mix of Graham, and the smaller mix of Alex and Dave...I just feel we have missed out on some simply amazing music 2003-2014, but I am thankful for The Magic Whip as Damon could have refused I guess...
Well if it wasn't for Damon, the recordings wouldn't have existed in the first place! Graham was content was lounging about in the hotel for 5 days. So without both Damon and Graham's initiatives this album wouldn't have happened.
What the hell! I imagine it was Grahams idea to even jam anyway, Damon has shown pure dislike for Blur and fought against any new album for years that's where The Good The Bad And The Etc have come from! or he would have got the lads together in 2009 and said right album time...of course this sound's like im hating on Damon far from it, he is the genius behind Blur and my life inspiration from the Popscene song and video, but when I hear what they can do as Blur the rest of the last few years material on other projects sounds so poor...
Last edited by Sledge Hammer on 24 Mar 2015, 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2015, 23:33

I agree with Sledge on this one, Everyday Robots just doesn't do it for me AT ALL. The production lets the songs down big time and the songs are too samey for me. A really boring album compared to Damon's previous work. Obviously each to their own and I understand that a lot of people really like this album, but the fact that The Magic Whip has been given the SAME 8/10 ranking as Everyday Robots is nothing short of a joke. Of course the real joke is that Everyday Robots was given an 8/10 to begin with.

Who knows, maybe the album will grow on me as the years go by. But it was the first Damon album (not including Mali Music, The Fall, Dr Dee and Rocket Juice) that failed to do anything for me.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2015, 23:36

tom_cas1 wrote:I agree with Sledge on this one, Everyday Robots just doesn't do it for me AT ALL. The production lets the songs down big time and the songs are too samey for me. A really boring album compared to Damon's previous work. Obviously each to their own and I understand that a lot of people really like this album, but the fact that The Magic Whip has been given the SAME 8/10 ranking as Everyday Robots is nothing short of a joke. Of course the real joke is that Everyday Robots was given an 8/10 to begin with.

Who knows, maybe the album will grow on me as the years go by. But it was the first Damon album (not including Mali Music, Dr Dee and Rocket Juice) that failed to do anything for me.
Exactly end of the day Everyday Robots is going to be sub par Leisure at best! and I love Leisure!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2015, 23:37

We know Graham reads this, really wish we knew if Damon did!

Damon lad, more Blur!!!! :D :lol:

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Mar 2015, 23:52

Sledge, do you dislike everything non-Blur related?

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2015, 23:53

Rubi wrote:Sledge, do you dislike everything non-Blur related?
Sledge Hammer wrote:Much better than Everyday Robots and did enjoy the album a lot...actually felt like a Blur album that could have been...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 25 Mar 2015, 00:00

Yes, but you always seem to be on the "Blur or nothing" ship. At least that's the impression I get.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Mar 2015, 00:03

Sledge Hammer wrote:
aldamasta wrote:
What the hell! I imagine it was Grahams idea to even jam anyway, Damon has shown pure dislike for Blur and fought against any new album for years that's where The Good The Bad And The Etc have come from! or he would have got the lads together in 2009 and said right album time...of course this sound's like im hating on Damon far from it, he is the genius behind Blur and my life inspiration from the Popscene song and video, but when I hear what they can do as Blur the rest of the last few years material on other projects sounds so poor...
Wrong I'm afraid Sledge. Just ask Graham - he confirmed Damon convened the sessions in HK. Can't dislike Blur that much if he's the one suggesting studio time. I don't think Damon has consciously fought against Blur in the time they have been back together. It is however a delicate and fragile dynamic being in any band, but especially after the fractured friendship between him and Graham. I just think Damon honestly felt Blur were done as a recording entity and he's a busy man (hence his 'Oh no!' reaction to the new record) - the 2009 - 2013 activity was about re-cementing that friendship and giving something back to the fans. He didn't foresee this chapter because he thought the book was finished, not because he got fed up with the book two thirds of the way through and decided to throw it in the bin.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Mar 2015, 00:10

I'm much more happy with a fantastic new album in 2015 than a mediocre album in 2009-2013. The legacy of Blur also played a big role in it for Damon as well, and now that they have such great new material, they're no longer in jeopardy of shitting on their legacy and Damon's free to be with his first love, Blur.

goadamn

Post by goadamn » 25 Mar 2015, 02:43

I really like Everyday Robots but I like his mellow somber simple tunes.
When you read interviews about this album, he's very candid about his producer focusing it on those types of songs and how he has amassed a bunch of poppy uptempo songs that were never recorded for the album. Which is great! He has more material for a fun Gorillaz album and some stuff for TGTBTQ and Blur =)

It's always best to appreciate each album for what IT IS, not for what you are comparing it to.
Everyday Robots is a great little minimal album and I get the feeling he really enjoyed making it and touring it around.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Mar 2015, 04:36

goadamn wrote:I really like Everyday Robots but I like his mellow somber simple tunes.
When you read interviews about this album, he's very candid about his producer focusing it on those types of songs and how he has amassed a bunch of poppy uptempo songs that were never recorded for the album. Which is great! He has more material for a fun Gorillaz album and some stuff for TGTBTQ and Blur =)

It's always best to appreciate each album for what IT IS, not for what you are comparing it to.
Everyday Robots is a great little minimal album and I get the feeling he really enjoyed making it and touring it around.
Spot on.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.