EU Referendum

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: EU Referendum

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Jun 2016, 11:25

2020 I believe, our last General Election was a year ago. Although if we Leave expect a new Prime Minister within weeks.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 19 Jun 2016, 12:01

ours is in november. not terribly psyched about it.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Jun 2016, 12:03

Three days to go. Cameron was described as the Neville Chamberlain of the 21st Century yesterday after his (frankly) disappointing attempt at EU renegotiation. :lol:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 21 Jun 2016, 00:48

Be against the global plutocracy.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 21 Jun 2016, 08:21

guidedbyvoices wrote:Be against the global plutocracy.
That is already happening, and has been happening for some time, irrespective of the UK being part of Europe or not.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Jun 2016, 06:22

Good analysis of the situation by 101reykjavik.

Interesting point by Indiana. This is what Foggy describes as 'casual prejudice' which I think can be in general society, albeit ignited by the EU referendum.

I am concerned that ignorant people may be voting to leave the EU “because of all the immigrants coming in”. They tar genuine people who work hard and contribute to the UK with a small minority of ‘spongers’ who arrive.

I know that, in my town, it is non-UK people who are putting life into the high street, renovating commercial properties to be restaurants, food outlets etc. In short, whether we remain in the UK or not, we need people like Indiana in the UK, working hard and invigorating the community.

If it was just left to the indigenous population, many would just leave things as they are. And we would have a lot of empty shops. This is what often happens in towns with a purely ‘white’ population.

I think that, should the UK leave the EU, tom_cas1 is correct regarding a Visa-system for non-UK born residents.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2016, 12:09

Mallard No. 22 wrote:If it was just left to the indigenous population, many would just leave things as they are. And we would have a lot of empty shops. This is what often happens in towns with a purely ‘white’ population.
I find this a little insulting to be honest. I don't know where you live but there are plenty of 'white' high streets around Britain which thrive on a daily basis and saying that if it was "left to the indigenous population we would have a lot of empty shops" is absolutely ridiculous. You're insinuating that high streets can't survive without input from migrants...this could be the case in SOME places like parts of London but I'd say in the majority of Britain this isn't the case at all. Rural Britain for example.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 22 Jun 2016, 21:55

It is insulting to have generalisations made about people based on their country of origin or their skin colour, isn't it?

Migration and multiculturalism are so so so important. Trust me, I'm speaking from a country that was built on it. Embrace differences and change instead of being afraid of them. Get to know people before you pass judgement. Decide that people are dickheads based on the fact they are dickheads, instead of where they're from. Expand your horizons. Grow.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Jun 2016, 23:21

So after a long period spent undecided, I now have to come to a conclusion. In my heart I had long been thinking Stay, but as this vote requires brain instinct instead of heart instinct I'm going to vote leave.

Depending on the situation, I can be fucking dreadful at speaking politics. This is one of those situations. I can decide on opinions easily, especially with an increasing great wealth of information, but maybe because politics isn't really an interest of mine, and I'll always feel naive in comparison to, well, people that do speak about i, I don't really chat about it. Fortunately though a friend has just posted his reasons for Leave and although I wasn't 100% sure what his reasons were before hand, every one of these are points were things I'd considered and were leading me to vote Leave. So I'm going to put this here.
Eric Siva-Jothy wrote:The European Union is an undemocratic, right-wing institution, and if Britain doesn't Leave, not only should you expect a future progressive government in this country (if we get one) to be destroyed by its bureaucracy, but you should be ready for the far-right pro-EU governments of Eastern Europe and eventually other parts of the EU to institute directives that'll enforce the end of liberal democracy as we know it. Europe is a project of enforcing brutal economic policies on countries that reject it (Greece, Portugal), a project of collaborating actively with the far-right composed of literal fascists (Czechia, Poland, Hungary) that hate free speech, LGBT rights, equality and democracy and a project of converting Europe into a corporate-managed sweatshop for the advance of big business interests (remember, the IMF, Goldman Sachs, World Bank, J.P. Morgan and a whole roster of others endorse and fund the Remain campaign, these people destroyed our economies in 2008).

The reasons for voting In are weak. The idea that your rights will be guaranteed by unelected officials with no allegiance to progress is deluded. The idea that free movement and open immigration will be maintained by an institution actively collaborating with far-right, anti-migrant racist governments (Poland, Hungary, propped up on EU money) is preposterous. The idea that Britain will become a racist far-right state is also ridiculous, long before the EU, Britain let immigrants in (my father and his family, my mother) despite backlash, the centre-right in this country has the ability to block extra-EU migration but it doesn't, because this vote isn't about migration. It's about democracy, independence and the right to have a progressive government, despite what billionaires will have you think.

The EU actively has plans to scrap your tuition caps (go on the Commission website, where details of
'decentralising' and 'increasing efficiency of finance' are described, common code for more privatisation and abolition of subsidies), has already heavily restricted workers unions and is now sanctioning countries for refusing to comply with welfare cuts and privatisation.

At the tip of all this thorough shafting of working people and opposition to democratic principles itself is an arrogant, cosmopolitan selfishness focused on self-centred aspirations of shifting imagined wealth around Europe and having happy cheap holidays, uni trips and fun times abroad. The Economist's polls and demographics show the poor in this country want Leave, and the rich want Remain. This is about long-standing communities, values and ideals against a detached, selfish, wealth-obsessed cosmopolitan world view. A vote for Remain is a vote for the latter. A vote for Leave is a vote to preserve democracy, equality and the values that made the free world what it is.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2016, 23:43

The plan for an EU army also scares me, it really does. Nothing like that will EVER exist. Open borders, EU army, one currency? No thank you.

VOTE LEAVE.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Jun 2016, 07:24

tom_cas1 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:If it was just left to the indigenous population, many would just leave things as they are. And we would have a lot of empty shops. This is what often happens in towns with a purely ‘white’ population.
I find this a little insulting to be honest. I don't know where you live but there are plenty of 'white' high streets around Britain which thrive on a daily basis and saying that if it was "left to the indigenous population we would have a lot of empty shops" is absolutely ridiculous. You're insinuating that high streets can't survive without input from migrants...this could be the case in SOME places like parts of London but I'd say in the majority of Britain this isn't the case at all. Rural Britain for example.
My apologies to you Tom (& all) if this came across a bit strong. I should clarify that many town centres would not thrive without the immigrant population.

My experience is that this can be the case in (former) industrial areas, less so in rural areas. I think this is the case whether we are in the EU or not.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 23 Jun 2016, 08:18

Caitlin wrote: Decide that people are dickheads based on the fact they are dickheads, instead of where they're from.
:lol: :lol: :lol: NEVER a truer word spoken :lol: :lol: :lol:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Jun 2016, 11:17

One of my friends shared the following photo on Facebook earlier today, along with a long post as to why she is voting to stay in the EU. Anyway. Here's the photo. 10 points to the person who tells me what's wrong with the photo:

Direct link if it's too big: https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 9804_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 23 Jun 2016, 11:29

Do enlighten us, Thomas.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Jun 2016, 11:37

Well when posting something on the EU make sure you include a photo of the EU...because the last time I checked, Russia, Ukraine and Turkey (and others in the photo) aren't in the EU!