Random Posts

Talk just about anything you like...

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2431
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Random Posts

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Mar 2016, 08:52

101reykjavik wrote:I can only assume Chumbawamba were very much an underground proposition prior to their moment in the fading Britpop sun - they'd certainly not entered into my world before then. Always felt like a novelty act to me, though I do recall reading the odd music mag article detailing their anarcho leanings - though it did strike me as a big blow-hard even then. I mean, don't sign with a major label if you're that concerned with smashing the system.

Their one hit ironically was, as you say Mallard, a song taken by the public at large as a straight forward drinking sing-along, a bit like, say, Terrorvision's Tequila. Though I admit Chumbawamba probably at least intended there to be an undercurrent of social commentary, it was lost on most people down the pub I think!
I agree entirely 101reykjavik, I couldn't have summed Chumbawumba up better myself!
AdvertBreak wrote:I agree that they would have been taken very much as a novelty in 1997. And yeah, a drinking singalong it was. A football song, basically, because its featured on countless football compilations, alongside such songs as Fat Les or Lightning Seeds....

I'm not even a Chumbawamba fan myself, but I find their antics pretty interesting. The reason they never scored with their follow album from 2000 was partly because it was a huge pisstake, parodying the pop culture they were now embedded in and even self-mocking at times, but mostly because the lead single was deliberately so bad that radio wouldn't play it because "it wasn't credible". :lol:
And yes AB, you have summed up the reasons for their decline. To my ears, the indie zenith of 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' and the parody of 'Tubthumping' both signalled the end of Britpop. The workmanlike music in between was squeezed out, and Robbie Williams moved into the void.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 Mar 2016, 18:59

Why is Wiltshire bad at cutting potatoes?

Because we've got no Devizes for Chippenham with.

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Mar 2016, 13:30

Why does everyone post in Song/Band Game and Word Assocation but not in 'Interview the fan below game' or 'The or-or game', which are miles more fun :?:

"Oh, I wrote a new Wiki
Ain't that just like me"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_(Wolfstone_album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2431
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Random Posts

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2016, 09:37

AdvertBreak wrote:Anyway, here's every alternative rock album that reached number 1 in the 90s

In the UK:....
That is an interesting list to read. I didn't realise there had been so many indie number ones :shock: I am also surprised that I bought around 75% of those albums at the time.

AdvertBreak wrote:Why does everyone post in Song/Band Game and Word Assocation but not in 'Interview the fan below game' or 'The or-or game', which are miles more fun :?:
....because the last two are more complicated for those of us who are :mrgreen:

:)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Random Posts

Post by Forever Low Man » 27 Mar 2016, 23:44

I made Facebook pages called "Jay Memes" and "Dan Memes".

Dan is my Blur-tolerating brother. Jay is TripleJay97.
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

JAIME
Posts: 2201
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:12
Location: Villa Alemana & Santiago, CHILE

Re: Random Posts

Post by JAIME » 14 Apr 2016, 13:50

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 1460638144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drink too much? Move to Chile :mrgreen:

Chris Smyth,The Times
April 13, 2016 11:03AMS

Australia makes no distinction between men and women in their drinking guidelines.

If you like a drink but are worried about your health, you might want to move to Chile, or the United States. Men there can get through five glasses of wine a night before doctors think they are having too much, according to a study that found huge variations in national alcohol guidance.

Countries have no clear definition of “a drink” and some allow five times as much alcohol as others in a day, according to American researchers.

Britain issued fresh guidance in January, telling people not to drink more than 14 units a week, about a bottle and a half of wine or five pints of beer. Professor Dame Sally Davies, the chief medical officer, said that the guidance was based on the most up-to-date evidence that regular consumption increases the risk of cancer.

However, researchers at Stanford University have pointed to a striking discrepancy in the advice given internationally. “Someone’s got to be wrong - or everyone could be wrong,” Keith Humphreys, who led the research, said. He looked at 75 of the world’s more advanced countries, and found that only 37 had official guidelines. Fewer than half of those used the World Health Organisation’s definition of one drink as containing 10g of pure alcohol - including Britain, which defines a unit as containing 8g.

“In the UK the guidance struggles because people think of a drink as a pint and that’s two [units],” he said.

Austria has the largest standard drink in the world at 20g of alcohol, which “could be to do with schnapps or those big steins”, Professor Humphreys said. Luxembourg uses a bafflingly precise 12.8g, while Japan has no definition.

Women in Portugal and Sweden are told to drink no more than 10g a day, less than a glass of wine, but Chilean and American men can put away up to 56g a day and be considered low risk 8-) . However, they are advised to take alcohol-free days. Poland and Vietnam have the highest weekly limits at 280g. :shock:

Australia and South Africa, like Britain, make no distinction between men and women. [The Australian government’s revised 2009 guidelines advise both men and women to drink no more than two standard drinks per day to reduce their health risks over a lifetime.] "It’s not scientifically possible that women should drink [a bit] less than men, half as much or the same as men. But we find all these things in the guidelines,” Professor Humphreys said.

He argued that guidance reflected cultural choices, not pure science. “Governments and countries make judgments that are more than empirical,” he said. “In some it’s socially unacceptable for women to drink whereas in others there’s a feminist understanding that women shouldn’t be embarrassed to drink as much as men.”

All countries agreed that large amounts of alcohol were dangerous, he said. The debate was “more around whether it’s one, two or three” daily drinks.

Uncertainty in the evidence is at least partly a result of people lying about how much they drink and Professor Humphreys said that “a certain amount of humility would be appropriate” from the authorities. “Public health people approach life in terms of risk minimisation but the rest of us approach life at least partly in terms of fun,” he added.

Christopher Snowdon, of the Institute of Economic Affairs, said: “To trust the chief medical officer’s latest advice, we must believe that every other country in the world has got it wrong. That requires a degree of patriotism that I am unable to summon up.”

However, Katherine Brown, director of the Institute for Alcohol Studies, said: “Many countries established alcohol guidelines at different points in time, based on what data was available to them, so some may be outdated.

“The new UK low-risk drinking guidelines are based on the most up-to-date evidence available.”

The Times
Image

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Random Posts

Post by Forever Low Man » 14 Apr 2016, 20:44

AdvertBreak made a forum and let TripleJay and I mod it. It's about music reviews and stuff.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/MoonrakerReviews/index/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 May 2016, 23:32

OI, RADIOHEAD! GIVE US THE ALBUM!

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Random Posts

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 May 2016, 00:36

fuck your radio head
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 May 2016, 01:37

Forever Low Man wrote:fuck your radio head
Fuck your GBV.

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 11 May 2016, 01:06

Modified version [original version on page 14]

I focus on the 80s and 90s specifically

1980: The Beat - I Just Can't Stop It
1981: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) - Architecture & Morality / The Durutti Column - LC
1982: Elvis Costello and The Attractions - Imperial Bedroom
1983: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) - Dazzle Ships
1984: Cocteau Twins - Treasure
1985: Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring (I normally consider this a 1986 album like most people, but it was originally released in Germany in 1985)
1986: Stump - Quirk Out / The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
1987: The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me
1988: Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
1989: The Cure - Disintegration
1990: Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
1991: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless / Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
1992: Ween - Pure Guava
1993: Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
1994: Disco Inferno - D. I. Go Pop
1995: The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
1996: Show of Hands - Live at the Royal Albert Hall / Cardiacs - Sing to God
1997: Bjork - Homogenic / Radiohead - OK Computer / U2 - Pop
1998: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
1999: Blur - 13

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Random Posts

Post by Forever Low Man » 12 May 2016, 21:42

best album of every year?
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 May 2016, 04:12

Forever Low Man wrote:best album of every year?
It's a few pages back. 1962 onwards I think it is, but its out of date

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: Random Posts

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Jun 2016, 12:16

Buttocks.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Random Posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Jun 2016, 05:56

I bought Edge of Darkness on today - the 80s BBC crime/political thriller series which is supposed to be one of the best British drama series ever

Have a look at this list of the British Film Institute's 2000 list of the top 100 British TV programmes ever
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_TV_100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply