Gorillaz dream Collaborations

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

stephen

Re: Gorillaz dream Collaborations

Post by stephen » 30 Nov 2020, 09:01

dparrott wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 21:45
I'm actually getting sick of all these collabs.
It's Gorillaz.
dparrott wrote:
A few per album was fine, but it's getting hard to find a song that JUST has Damon singing.
There's this album called "the now now"?

bugman

Post by bugman » 30 Nov 2020, 19:36

dparrott wrote:
A few per album was fine, but it's getting hard to find a song that JUST has Damon singing.

if u want just damon singing please play GBQ or Blur ;]

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Nov 2020, 21:12

Strange Timez has the perfect blend of Damon and guest singers in my opinion.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

thespider

Post by thespider » 02 Dec 2020, 09:55

Kate Bush is so eclectic and brilliant, I'm sure she could bring something to Gorillaz.
Bruno Mars. Just because he's one of the best pop artists of the past 10 years and I can imagine Gorillaz doing a really fun pop song with him.
Janelle Monae. Same reason.
Trent Reznor. He's a genius. Damon is a genius. The two of them together, wow.
Benji from Skindred. There's loads of awesome dub and reggae in Skindred. That would work with Gorillaz.
Jimmy Cliff. He's the second greatest reggae singer ever, I'm sure Damon idolises him so that would be a great.
Ralf Hütter from Kraftwerk. Yes I know how ridiculous and unlikely that is, but as far as I'm concerned, he's up there with the Beatles and David Bowie.
Mike Patton. God knows what it would sound like considering how diverse his work is Fantomas and Faith No More, I'm sure it would be interesting.

stephen

Post by stephen » 02 Dec 2020, 10:44

thespider wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 09:55
Bruno Mars. Just because he's one of the best pop artists of the past 10 years and I can imagine Gorillaz doing a really fun pop song with him.
Maybe your right, maybe we aren't aiming high enough. A current pop artist would be great

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 02 Dec 2020, 11:20

I'm on a massive Dexys binge at the moment. Kevin Rowland's passion in some of the live shows is awe inspiring - e.g: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXw1Bdt ... C9&index=3

Kevin Rowland would be an awesome Gorrillaz collaborator with the right song - in a similar way to Robert Smith - he would need to be given free reign I would think.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 02 Dec 2020, 11:33

Shane MacGowan would be both topical and terrific.

thespider

Post by thespider » 02 Dec 2020, 11:50

stephen wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 10:44
Maybe your right, maybe we aren't aiming high enough. A current pop artist would be great
I wouldn't say it's unrealistic either.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 02 Dec 2020, 14:47

stephen wrote:
thespider wrote:
The biggest issue in my eyes, is that those who receive a lot of public attention aren't really bringing their best stuff to Gorillaz collabs IMO. Appreciate I am probably in a minority of 1, but the Beck and St Vincent tracks wouldn't make it on to an album by either artist, far less be used as a single/promotional tool for their own material. Now I'm not suggesting it's essential that the track they work on should fit with their current material stylistically, just that I think it doesn't represent their best work. Let the dog pile commence...

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 02 Dec 2020, 15:58

jonathas wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:33
Shane MacGowan would be both topical and terrific.
Yeah!I love the Pogues and I've long thought this. I think he could bring a similar vibe to Shaun Ryder on Dare.

stephen

Post by stephen » 02 Dec 2020, 16:50

dougharrison wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 14:47
stephen wrote:
thespider wrote:
The biggest issue in my eyes, is that those who receive a lot of public attention aren't really bringing their best stuff to Gorillaz collabs IMO. Appreciate I am probably in a minority of 1, but the Beck and St Vincent tracks wouldn't make it on to an album by either artist, far less be used as a single/promotional tool for their own material. Now I'm not suggesting it's essential that the track they work on should fit with their current material stylistically, just that I think it doesn't represent their best work. Let the dog pile commence...
I do agree somewhat. If you look at the figures, Gorillaz work really well when they collaborate with either an upcoming artist or one that they revive from the past and there becomes an element of nostalgia. The collaboration with Shaun Ryder definitely struck a chord with the hacienda crowd and maybe they helped push the song up to that number 1 spot. The collaboration which included Rag'n'Bone didn't hit a chord with me, in fact I think I've only heard it a few times but maybe it's different for other people. I dunno, I don't know how it works with royalties and the record label, I imagine it's a lot easier to get less known acts that prop up their status (its a win for everyone) than an expensive punt on an already famous pop artist and perhaps the artists PR machine might not take the bait. I'm just speculating. I do wonder what happens if they create a track that they are very confident with, maybe they would push it with a more current famous act? I was kinda expecting that from song machine, that there would be a first version of a track and that maybe other artists would pick up those tracks and find something interesting to add to them. The formatting would be great for that but it already looks they were happy with the polished versions they sent out. You know when there's a first version of a song for example the maroon 5 and then christina aguilera pops her head up and they find room to put her on the track, or when deadmau5 made "Ghosts 'n' Stuff and than a while later theres a new version with Rob Swire on vocals. That's the sort of evolution I thought would be happening on song machine, it's made for it. You know when Blur made Think Tank, I think I heard that there were over 6-7 versions of some of the songs, wouldn't it have been great to release them, let the fans get a feel for it and then the 'album' version would have had the fans almost pick those tracks from the early success and that's when you can start pushing it into sales/charts etc

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 12 Dec 2020, 15:35

dougharrison wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 14:47
stephen wrote:
thespider wrote:
Sad to hear people don't appreciate the Beck and St. Vincent tracks enough. I think they're great.

I never cared about Beck as an artist, but Valley of the Pagans is a catchy, vibrating tune that Strange Timez as an album couldn't do without. Especially the way it's placed after the opener is perfect, it gets you immediately in the mood.

And Chalk Tablet Towers is so overlooked and under-appreciated by mostly everyone. I don't get it. For me it's a perfectly enjoyable Gorillaz pop tune, the kind of song that would fit anywhere. I'm a huge St. Vincent fan, and I don't think it's that inferior to any of her album tracks.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 15 Dec 2020, 01:05

Paul McCartney
Elvis Costello
Bjork
Neil Finn
Kate Bush

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Jan 2021, 14:00

anyone like Cut Copy? Think they would be a good blend together