Don't bomb when you are the bomb

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark87uk

Don't bomb when you are the bomb

Post by Mark87uk » 09 Aug 2020, 18:00

im lucky enough to have snagged a copy of this, strangly i took it to my friends today whose wife is from Morocco and asked her to translate the wording and she said it actually says
'Don't throw the grenade when you are the grenade'

Useless info but thought id share, and yes its been a slow day ha

Rubi

Re: Don't bomb when you are the bomb

Post by Rubi » 09 Aug 2020, 18:47

Sometimes I forget this song even exists. Personally I don't mind it, but obviously it's not a direction I would have wanted the band to go. I remember reading it got a lot of backlash from fans at the time.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 09 Aug 2020, 19:32

Yeah its a niche one, surprised it was included on the 21 box set with some other tracks like colours obviously

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Aug 2020, 08:45

I've got it in my attic, love the song

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 10 Aug 2020, 12:34

I think the song itself is weak, but the funky stuff at the end is amazing. I wish it had been put to better use.

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Aug 2020, 14:37

TripleJay97 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:34
I think the song itself is weak, but the funky stuff at the end is amazing. I wish it had been put to better use.
Does anyone know how that sound is made? it's bugged me for years

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 11 Aug 2020, 08:21

In terms of Blur Don't bomb stands out for being a real curio in a body of work full of curios. It's similar to Music is My Radar in that respect. But within the context of work Damon's done with Gorillaz it doesn't sound that out of place. At the time it still seemed possible that Blur would continue to be a proper jobbing band continuing to release albums every 2 or 3 years and it was quite exciting anticipating where they might take their sound next. From the outside it looked like this was the time as a band that they had the greatest freedom to go in whichever direction they wished. Of course it was around this time that things fragmented.

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Aug 2020, 08:39

Styopa wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 08:21
In terms of Blur Don't bomb stands out for being a real curio in a body of work full of curios. It's similar to Music is My Radar in that respect. But within the context of work Damon's done with Gorillaz it doesn't sound that out of place. At the time it still seemed possible that Blur would continue to be a proper jobbing band continuing to release albums every 2 or 3 years and it was quite exciting anticipating where they might take their sound next. From the outside it looked like this was the time as a band that they had the greatest freedom to go in whichever direction they wished. Of course it was around this time that things fragmented.
I think the biggest stigma of the song was them being compared to radiohead, i think everyone was expecting them to take a more lo-fi electronic album

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 13 Aug 2020, 08:07

I think there was definitely a feeling they might go a bit Radiohead around this time. But generally I feel as if they had wide open vistas ahead of them and what stopped them pursuing them as a 4 piece was that they needed a break from each other rather than the creative wellspring of the band running dry. Obviously the huge success of Gorillaz and the freedom that came with that project had a big hand in that too.

semi

Post by semi » 15 Aug 2020, 07:00

I was pretty dissapointed with dbwytb at the time. Now I find it interesting as rare blur material. Was Graham playing in this song?

ricj

Post by ricj » 17 Aug 2020, 09:04

I remember a feeling if intense disappointment mixed with a feeling that something was very wrong within the Blur camp when it came out and I was soon to find out that I wasn't wrong...

I also thought at the time (and still think) it just sounds like one of Damon's super rough, home demos without any obvious involvement from any of the other band members (which I wouldn't be surprised if it was).

stephen

Post by stephen » 17 Aug 2020, 09:26

ricj wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:04
I remember a feeling if intense disappointment mixed with a feeling that something was very wrong within the Blur camp when it came out and I was soon to find out that I wasn't wrong...

I also thought at the time (and still think) it just sounds like one of Damon's super rough, home demos without any obvious involvement from any of the other band members (which I wouldn't be surprised if it was).
Que? It was a 7" limited edition demo what were you expecting :lol:

ricj

Post by ricj » 17 Aug 2020, 13:46

I don't know what I was expecting, but at the time, the talk was all "is this the new direction Blur are taking?" etc. Plus they'd never released anything this weird shortly before an expected new single/album in the past. It was a very strange time to be a longtime Blur fan !

stephen

Post by stephen » 17 Aug 2020, 14:30

ricj wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 13:46
I don't know what I was expecting, but at the time, the talk was all "is this the new direction Blur are taking?" etc. Plus they'd never released anything this weird shortly before an expected new single/album in the past. It was a very strange time to be a longtime Blur fan !
Definitely confusing. At one point Damon Albarn referred to the new album (think tank) sounding like Led Zeppelin and then in another interview he said it was a followup album to parklife, i think i learnt to take everthing he said with a pinch of salt after that

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 18 Aug 2020, 03:34

ricj wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 09:04

I'm giving it a listen for the first time years, and I was just about to say this: it sounds like it's from Democrazy. The instrumentation is like placeholder, 'get this down quickly' demo-style preset stuff. There's basically no lyrics either. Pretty bizarre.

The fact it was a limited edition release doesn't mean much. So was Colours and that feels like an invested piece of music from all of them and is produced with some pride. It actually sounds great, has that real light, walking-through-autumn feel not much of their production ever had.