addiction and blur

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pavlich

addiction and blur

Post by Pavlich » 09 Aug 2020, 16:02

The two proponents of Blur are Albarn and Coxon. Basically.

One was a smacky, the other a pisshead.

It's as well known as Oasis being pricks. But unlike that, there's very very little online documentation. Era and time aside, why has this been mostly eschewed? Alex James was a cokehead and said in his book that one day a week off the piss was fine. Dave went from anonymous member to absolute cunt because of cocaine.

But does anyone know when people, the mainstream press mostly, started knowing about their issues? How well was it known? Did anyone see anything? What was the consideration and atmosphere around Damo's heroin use especially?
Last edited by Pavlich on 10 Aug 2020, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

stephen

Re: addiction and blur

Post by stephen » 09 Aug 2020, 17:14

From what I remember there were suspicions about Damon around 95/96 and obviously Beetlebum pretty much confirmed that.

Correct me if i'm wrong but there used to be a sense of expectation/anticipation in pop culture that if you were famous enough there is no doubting that you would eventually be taking drugs whether that's giving into temptation or some parts of the record label / media forcing the drugs on you. Doesn't Alex James mention in his book that you never had to buy any drugs because if you were famous you were just given them to you? I think at the time it was kind of normalised but it's probably something that needs opening up more and looked into at a better level

Dizzzy

Post by Dizzzy » 10 Aug 2020, 03:22

that nardwar interviews blur thing showed how aggressive face was after doing coke

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Aug 2020, 07:52

The alcohol and substances were made available, and the recipents could ease-in to over-indulgence.

It is inter-laced with touring and TV shows, and crossing time-zones between countries, meaning you may need to be awake when your body tells you otherwise.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 10 Aug 2020, 08:39

Bizarre terminology throughout this. A smacky and a pisshead? Addiction is painful, non-trivial, compulsive and complicated. Equally, someone isn't automatically addicted, much less a 'smackhead', if they have at one point or other used drugs recreationally. That isn't to play down the impact which substance abuse may or may not have had in their lives, but speculating over other people's addiction problems would be best done with empathy rather than condescension.

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Aug 2020, 08:40

Dizzzy wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 03:22
that nardwar interviews blur thing showed how aggressive face was after doing coke
I think I would have lamped him if he was interviewing me

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Aug 2020, 08:44

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 07:52
The alcohol and substances were made available, and the recipents could ease-in to over-indulgence.

It is inter-laced with touring and TV shows, and crossing time-zones between countries, meaning you may need to be awake when your body tells you otherwise.
I mean, that's the real issue here not the users themselves

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 13 Aug 2020, 02:24

jonathas wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 08:39
Bizarre terminology throughout this. A smacky and a pisshead? Addiction is painful, non-trivial, compulsive and complicated. Equally, someone isn't automatically addicted, much less a 'smackhead', if they have at one point or other used drugs recreationally. That isn't to play down the impact which substance abuse may or may not have had in their lives, but speculating over other people's addiction problems would be best done with empathy rather than condescension.
I'm a heavy drinker and probable future alcoholic and am absolutely right in the demographic that, if this were the 90s, would love heroin.

Addiction is shit. More so are the factors that make you see it as an escape. Both got through it with empathy and fame and money all a bit aide. I understand those things can probably become complicit drivers, but Damon and Coxon are pretty astute, intelligent, inward people and so used those things they had to aide not harm.

semi

Post by semi » 13 Aug 2020, 06:05

Pavlich wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 02:24
jonathas wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 08:39
I'm a heavy drinker and probable future alcoholic and am absolutely right in the demographic that, if this were the 90s, would love heroin.

Addiction is shit. More so are the factors that make you see it as an escape. Both got through it with empathy and fame and money all a bit aide. I understand those things can probably become complicit drivers, but Damon and Coxon are pretty astute, intelligent, inward people and so used those things they had to aide not harm.
That's not very clever what you have said. Keep your body clean before you get addicted.

blurfansince97

Post by blurfansince97 » 22 Aug 2020, 02:25

As others have said, everyone in the music industry was doing drugs (and maybe still is?). I was watching a documentary that Pitchfork did about Slowdive, and Alan McGee was saying that when Creation signed a band, the first thing they were offered was cocaine and other drugs (for the record, he offered Slowdive a drink because he thought they were too young for drugs). I also remember reading an interview where Noel Gallagher was talking about quitting drugs, and the way he talked about it, it sounded like everyone was doing it, and it was strange if someone wasn't doing it. As for alcohol abuse, it's unfortunately very common in the UK.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Aug 2020, 07:57

Yes,food, alcohol and drugs are part of the inherent hospitality of the music industry.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 27 Aug 2020, 02:06

food, alcohol, and drugs are an inherent part of life for a lot of the populace!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Sep 2020, 07:22

....and when gifted with copious amounts backstage, band members may over-indulge.... :mrgreen:

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Oct 2020, 14:38

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 07:22
....and when gifted with copious amounts backstage, band members may over-indulge.... :mrgreen:
Parklife!

... silly joke about a month too late :mrgreen: need to check the forum more often. Recently moved to Philadelphia for a new job so my time has been crunched.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 12 Oct 2020, 21:35

:D