Blur mix tape nostalgia

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jeffnottingham

Blur mix tape nostalgia

Post by jeffnottingham » 28 Apr 2020, 14:53

Found these lovingly created specimens in my attic over the weekend. Pre 13 obviously, but what do you think of my selections? :D
BOB 2 IMG_3167.jpeg
BOB 1IMG_3166.jpeg

Moritz

Re: Blur mix tape nostalgia

Post by Moritz » 28 Apr 2020, 21:55

Great choice :D This would be kind of my personal best of, too. Especially because you picked some of the not so common songs like Bad Day or M.O.R.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 29 Apr 2020, 06:53

I made all kinds of Blur Best Of tapes in the 90s, every 3rd release, album or single. It was fun.

ricj

Post by ricj » 01 May 2020, 08:56

I've got a few of these in my attic too (although not as nicely typed out and printed)!

I like a lot of the selection but it seems to be totally lacking the key art of the mixtape in your running order. Yuko & Hiro sandwiched between Sunday Sunday and Girls & Boys?! And SNFAS and This is a Low as second songs?! That would jar horribly for me - my mixtapes usually started with a series of bangers, dipped a bit in the middle with a few more thoughtful songs, then went up to the next level and then ended with a set of emotional and/or powerful songs (Universal/This is a Low etc)

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 01 May 2020, 09:33

ricj wrote:
01 May 2020, 08:56
I've got a few of these in my attic too (although not as nicely typed out and printed)!

I like a lot of the selection but it seems to be totally lacking the key art of the mixtape in your running order. Yuko & Hiro sandwiched between Sunday Sunday and Girls & Boys?! And SNFAS and This is a Low as second songs?! That would jar horribly for me - my mixtapes usually started with a series of bangers, dipped a bit in the middle with a few more thoughtful songs, then went up to the next level and then ended with a set of emotional and/or powerful songs (Universal/This is a Low etc)
Ha ha, yeah I had the same thought. These days I re-sequence a lot of albums because I disagree about track orders etc and want to bring in some extra tracks (Humanz is a classic example). But back then I clearly didn't think that way! I reckon my main objective was getting as much music as possible onto each side. The fact there's a run of 'C's' on one side (and the fact it's typed) makes me think I probably had a spreadsheet of Blur songs laid out alphabetically too...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 May 2020, 19:43

I liked compiling mix tapes in the way that you describe ricj, where each song complements the next.

Though it took a while to grasp this, as e.g. a lot of music is heard through radio programming, where songs are not always played with sympathetic logic.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

ricj

Post by ricj » 12 May 2020, 10:36

I always compile(d) my mixtapes like a gig setlist. All the best setlists have a flow to them just like a good mixtape should.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 12 May 2020, 17:25

I liked to really mix my songs up, I put my favorites first but it was like an album track, a couple of b-sides, another album track, etc.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 May 2020, 10:32

Yes, I agree with both of you, the important thing is to get a good flow.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."