All We Want in 13.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: All We Want in 13.

Post by Rubi » 12 Apr 2020, 11:47

Wait, there is a version of Movin' On produced by Orbit? :O

Edit: Oh wait, you mean the remix? Never mind.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 12 Apr 2020, 14:23

I like what Orbit did on the more ambient tracks like Caramel, 1992 etc, but I really feel the more traditional sounding Blur songs had a bit of an identity crises. The overly produced, almost ‘jungle’ drum sound used on bugman is so horrible. Makes it really sound dated. Ruins the whole song for me.

I used to not think twice before saying 13 was my favourite. I found that album when I was going through my first big breakup and it has helped me through plenty of shit times since. When I listen now with a bit of more objective ear, can’t help but feel it’s kind of a bit messy. Some devastatingly beautiful moments! But I think a few ideas were ruined by not abiding by just a bit more of a conventional approach to finishing them off. A bit too much attention put on things sounding groundbreaking(for the time) and not just completing a batch of really good, strong songs.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 17 Apr 2020, 09:03

anothermario wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 21:58
1992 stays where it is
^^^

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 20 Apr 2020, 03:40

I thought All We Want was originally in the track list and then was replaced with Swamp Song because it fit better.

stephen

Post by stephen » 20 Apr 2020, 08:20

Well I imagine, like all songs the idea was that it appeared on an album

Bnoble

Post by Bnoble » 21 Apr 2020, 11:11

Controversial opinion! But I agree. Keep All We Want as a b-side. Would've fitted in great on Blur, but not on 13. Plus - to pick up on the whole Orbit thing - I think 13 is masterpiece and he was really great for the band on that album. I love all the little deviations, the dance-influenced stuff, think Tender is a perfect length etc.
I've been *so* busy lately that I haven't found the time, to open up my mind and post on Veikko's Blur Page Forum.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Apr 2020, 12:20

Bnoble wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 11:11
Controversial opinion! But I agree. Keep All We Want as a b-side. Would've fitted in great on Blur, but not on 13. Plus - to pick up on the whole Orbit thing - I think 13 is masterpiece and he was really great for the band on that album. I love all the little deviations, the dance-influenced stuff, think Tender is a perfect length etc.
Amen.

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 21 Apr 2020, 12:30

stephen wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 08:20
No, I think some of the songs are thought of as B-sides. Wasn't it that I'm Just A Killer For Your Love was recorded during a B-side session, and eventually made its way to the album?

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 21 Apr 2020, 13:59

TristramShandy wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 12:30
stephen wrote:
No, I think some of the songs are thought of as B-sides. Wasn't it that I'm Just A Killer For Your Love was recorded during a B-side session, and eventually made its way to the album?
I'm not sure about that song specifically but I'm pretty certain Blur, on occasion, at least during the early - mid part of their career, went into the studio to specifically record b-sides for their singles - I don't have it on me but I'm sure the Macoine biography confirms as much. In fact I think they were under a certain amount of pressure to pump out b-sides given the multiple formats singles were released on and the demand for different b-sides on each. Of course this wouldn't have applied to every song that ended up a b-side and the way the band were working by 13 was very different from the Modern Life is Rubbish/Parklife/Great Escape era.

Bnoble

Post by Bnoble » 21 Apr 2020, 14:00

Styopa wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 13:59
TristramShandy wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 12:30
stephen wrote:
I'm not sure about that song specifically but I'm pretty certain Blur, on occasion, at least during the early - mid part of their career, went into the studio to specifically record b-sides for their singles - I don't have it on me but I'm sure the Macoine biography confirms as much. In fact I think they were under a certain amount of pressure to pump out b-sides given the multiple formats singles were released on and the demand for different b-sides on each. Of course this wouldn't have applied to every song that ended up a b-side and the way the band were working by 13 was very different from the Modern Life is Rubbish/Parklife/Great Escape era.
Yeah I've read all this too. The Select magazine recording history is very useful for this.
I've been *so* busy lately that I haven't found the time, to open up my mind and post on Veikko's Blur Page Forum.

stephen

Post by stephen » 22 Apr 2020, 05:29

OK my mistake, Modern life bsides were mainly from the *unspoken album*? and think tank were from the think tank sesssions but I guess it doesn't always work like that. I just thought they recorded a bunch of songs, slapped them onto an album where they think the best ones go / work together and the rest as bsides? the bsides always were so strong. And wasn't black books supposed to be a single with music is my radar as bsides and then they swapped it around? I guess there's so many different ways over a decade and its not just as straight forward as 'make an album, make a single, make a bside'.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 22 Apr 2020, 09:13

I think a lot depends on how the album cycle works too - they recorded Parklife and Great Escape so close together that I doubt they had much time to invest in writing b-sides along the way; but it's clear that the long touring cycle of TGE yielded songs like 'St Louis' and 'Tame' which would never have sprung from recording sessions in London a year or two earlier.

Question for nerdier Blur fans than me; how many Blur songs were recorded in the USA over the years?

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 22 Apr 2020, 09:35

jonathas wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 09:13
Question for nerdier Blur fans than me; how many Blur songs were recorded in the USA over the years?
Do you mean as in studio sessions, or radio shows etc.?

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 22 Apr 2020, 10:15

Studio sessions. How many songs that were released on Blur albums and/or singles recorded in The States.

[edit: I think the answer is three; The Man Who Left Himself, St Louis & Tame; but I might be wrong. Possibly 'A Song' too?].

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 23 Apr 2020, 21:18

Does anybody know where the sessions in the US took place? I could think that St. Louis was recorded more or less 'on the road' with portable equipment.

I also think that early versions of the songs from 13 could easily fit in with the ST album and it's b-sides. Mellow Song was perhabs first played at the soundchecks of the Nordic countries tour in August 1997. You can see it in the intro of the Nirdst I Nordrid documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ize6pCmd-Ec .

And Graham wrote also propably first tunes for his solo debut during the US tour in late 1997. I guess this was mentioned in Maconie's biography.