Reykjavik tips?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

John_d

Reykjavik tips?

Post by John_d » 25 Feb 2020, 14:37

I'm aware some folk on here may have been to Reykjavik given Damon's affinity for the place. Which, interestingly, is getting mentioned again after years of it not being mentioned. I'm surprised it turns out he still has a house there. I thought Iceland had maybe gone the way of other Damon obsessions from the late 90s (tae kwon do, err heroin).

Anyway I am visiting in a few weeks time and would be grateful for any tips. I appreciate this isn't a travel forum (!) but tips about cafes, bars, restaurants, museums etc. would be cool (pun intended).

Cheers.

dougharrison

Re: Reykjavik tips?

Post by dougharrison » 25 Feb 2020, 20:18

I went about 18 months back and loved Reykjavik, it's a very very small city though and can easily be explored in an afternoon.

I'm sure you will already have heard this but it is very expensive I would guess if you are travelling in a few weeks days will be a "normal" length.

If you need groceries etc use Bonus, much cheaper than 7/11. They have an app which is fantastic for cheap drinks and keep moving between bars if you are on a budget (if memory serves it's called 'appy hour) regular prices for drinks are expensive.

The city centre is actually very small and almost everything a tourist would want to see is on the main road, which runs parallel to the coast is called something beginning with L (about 13 letters long). Only real thing not on the main road is the church, which is easily visible from said road.

The bus service is really good and tours are very good at collecting from most hotels.

I'd recommend booking northern lights ASAP, because they will reschedule if the forecast is bad, so this maximises your chances of seeing something. I'd also do the Blue Lagoon on your way too/from the airport, as a guy on my own an hour and a half there was plenty, and it's right next to the airport.

I'll be honest I forget the names of any restaurants/bars, but the one Damon did/maybe still does part-own is very google-able (just off the main street). It's alright, nothing special. Food-wise you get what you pay for, but eating out you can expect to cost at least a tenner for soup or even Dominos. I got a bit of a bargain at my hotel/hostel which was about £15 for a roast dinner. That said every pricey meal I had was very good.

My number 1 tip is to sign up for the walking tour, I found that very interesting and found out a lot that way about the city I otherwise wouldn't have known.

I travelled solo and did all of my exploring via tours, which were pricey, but found the guides to be very good. If I was going on my own I would probably hire a small SUV and explore off the beaten track that way, I visited in October and expected the weather to make driving very sketchy for me as a British foreigner, but the roads were very well maintained and I would fancy my chances behind the wheel there - would definitely check the weather forecasts first though!

Golden circle is the standard tour that all tourists do, waterfalls, geysirs and mountains a-plenty. I really enjoyed snorkelling over the tectonic plate divide, but might not be for everyone.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 26 Feb 2020, 07:18

Snorkeling sounds super fun!

I've been to Iceland once and spent only half a day in Reykjavik - what we did with my husband was going on foot across the island from north to south (great experience but not for everybody, there are no roads, no marked trails, no people ;-)).

I agree with Doug that if you have time you should consider some day trips outside of Reykjavik - there is plenty to see: geysers, waterfalls, volcanic rocks, even Jökulsárlón lagoon - it's not so close to the capital but also can be done in one day.

Anyway, in the 90s Damon owned a flat in the center of Reykjavik, then - in 2003 or even a bit earlier? - he bought a house on the outskirts, so yeah, his love to this place hasn't died.

John_d

Post by John_d » 26 Feb 2020, 16:24

Many thanks folks. I've a Northern Lights tour booked for the first night (fingers crossed), Golden Circle tour booked, and also a trip to the Blue Lagoon (very excited about that).

stephen

Post by stephen » 26 Feb 2020, 17:17

This thread has actually got my looking at Reykjavik, maybe something for next winter.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 29 Feb 2020, 17:02

John_d wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 16:24
Many thanks folks. I've a Northern Lights tour booked for the first night (fingers crossed), Golden Circle tour booked, and also a trip to the Blue Lagoon (very excited about that).
Superb you'll have a great time I'm sure. Should you feel inspired to check out the formerly/possibly currently part owned Damon bar, it has a tube sign outside it. I can shoot through my old pics and dig out the name of it if you are struggling to find it. It's nothing special in so far as it's a nice bar, but no Blur/Damon stuff about the place.

The tours felt expensive when I went, but I thought they were great and wish I had had a bigger budget to do more of them.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 29 Feb 2020, 17:17

stephen

Post by stephen » 02 Mar 2020, 11:08

lumaka wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 17:17
It's Kaffibarinn.
https://www.facebook.com/kaffibarinn
That's incredible, I've already bookmarked it as a place to visit :D

John_d

Post by John_d » 16 Mar 2020, 16:42

Thanks all. I had a great time. I will write a wee blog about it on my DJ site and will post a link when I've done so.

rich

Post by rich » 17 Mar 2020, 01:40

Good timing John - I'm amazed you manged to get there and back before the clampdown...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405