Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jonathas
Posts: 69
Joined: 23 Mar 2015, 13:15

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by jonathas » 14 Sep 2020, 11:02

The funny thing about the whole Blur or Gorillaz debate is that we have both. The last time Blur played together was March 2019. We might not get them both, all of the time, but think about all those people who would dearly love The Smiths, Talking Heads, REM, The Jam, Led Zeppelin, Genesis with P Gabriel, Talk Talk, XTC, The Kinks, Abba, Fugazi, Husker Du etc to reform and play one gig.

Literally couldn't be happier that Damon makes so many records.

User avatar
rich
Posts: 981
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by rich » 14 Sep 2020, 11:05

jonathas wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:02
The funny thing about the whole Blur or Gorillaz debate is that we have both. The last time Blur played together was March 2019. We might not get them both, all of the time, but think about all those people who would dearly love The Smiths, Talking Heads, REM, The Jam, Led Zeppelin, Genesis with P Gabriel, Talk Talk, XTC, The Kinks, Abba, Fugazi, Husker Du etc to reform and play one gig.

Literally couldn't be happier that Damon makes so many records.
excellent point!! :) :)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

User avatar
lumaka
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Oct 2016, 11:38
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by lumaka » 16 Sep 2020, 10:50

This new interview with Damon in Music Week explains a lot.

User avatar
stephen
Posts: 799
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53
Location: On a stroppy little island of mixed up people
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by stephen » 16 Sep 2020, 13:33

And how about Blur – have we heard the last of them?
“I really hope not. I love doing those gigs, they’re great, but it’s not something I need to do. I only do it because there’s a joy in doing it. It’s an absolute treat. I can’t wait to sing Parklife again.”


It does sound like there might be a song or two here and there if we are lucky but more likely a live setup at some point, as I've said before i'm not really too bothered about seeing blur live again. So for now it all seems to fall on Gorillaz

northernmonkey
Posts: 319
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:59

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by northernmonkey » 17 Sep 2020, 10:13

Nice interview, I'm looking forward to hearing the album in full, in its correct running order. I think its a little strange to listen to individual tracks being released over a nine month period, songs often make more sense in the context of some form of natural running order or theme. I actually think with the 6 songs we already have being spread across the album and obviously the one from Beck and the others we haven't heard, this could be one of Damon's better albums. Looking forward to hearing the song featuring St Vincent, not sure about the Elton one, could be the worst or best thing thats come out of Gorillaz, you just never know.

Good to see he hasn't ruled out Blur, which to be fair he has still been positive about since 2015, compared to the wilderness years of Blur being over. The problem is its getting all four members interested or having a free year or so all at the same time :(

User avatar
lumaka
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Oct 2016, 11:38
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by lumaka » 17 Sep 2020, 10:51

You can read the full version of Gorillaz feature in Music Week here.

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1958
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 17 Sep 2020, 10:51

If the quality of the rest of the tracks will be on the same level as the ones we've already heard, this will easily be the best Gorillaz record since Plastic Beach.

I also like how in every song thus far Damon's personality and contribution hasn't disappeared behind the guests' features. Humanz is the least Gorillaz album precisely because it felt more like a jumble of artists thrown together than a Damon collaboration record. Which what Gorillaz in principle is.

User avatar
daii
Posts: 539
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 12:33
Location: Argentina

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by daii » 17 Sep 2020, 12:24

Rubi wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 10:51
If the quality of the rest of the tracks will be on the same level as the ones we've already heard, this will easily be the best Gorillaz record since Plastic Beach.

I also like how in every song thus far Damon's personality and contribution hasn't disappeared behind the guests' features. Humanz is the least Gorillaz album precisely because it felt more like a jumble of artists thrown together than a Damon collaboration record. Which what Gorillaz in principle is.
maybe this had something to do
Has the label suggested potential collaborators in the past?
“Oh yeah. But every time they’ve tried to do it, it’s been a fucking disaster, so I don’t listen anymore. We did allow a little bit of that around Humanz, because I’ve always been eager to please. But it doesn’t really pay off, and no one thanks you when their ideas don’t work (laughs).” (Music Week – September 2020)

Neal Zeal
Posts: 393
Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 16:43

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 Sep 2020, 21:32

Rubi wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 15:16
Neal Zeal wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 19:14
If Damon wants people singing along to his songs at festival shows or other huge concerts, Blur wins hands down, every time.
I remember how disappointed he seemed when hardly anyone sang along to his Gorillas set at Glasto (in 2010?) the year after people went nuts for Blur on the same stage.

Personally, I ain't bovvered whether he puts out stuff through Blur or Gorillas. I just wish there was much greater quality control on the actual compositions of the songs. I thought Magic Whip was a huge disappointment - not a single great song, and haven't liked post PB Gorillas. The Song Machine stuff might be better but I'll wait and buy the album to listen to it properly. My favourite thing by far that he's done in the last 10 years is the second GBQ album (although that wasn't really a patch on the first).
By now you should have figured that Damon is a relentless person that loves constantly making music and being involved in various projects. Just check out his discography from the last 10 years:

2010 - Plastic Beach
2011 - The Fall, Kinshasa One Two
2012 - Rocket Juice & the Moon
2013 - Africa Express
2014 - Everyday Robots, Africa Express
2015 - The Magic Whip
2016 - The Orchestra of Syrian Musicians and Guests
2017 - Humanz
2018 - Merrie Land, The Now Now
2019 - Africa Express
2020 - Song Machine

I mean, you honestly think he cares about being selective? He doesn't take time like other artists do, who usually spend 2-3 years to gather thoughts and come up with new ideas. He's constantly on the move, producing and releasing, be it Blur, Gorillaz, or any other variety of projects. That's his high.

I personally agree with you. I'd much prefer if he only focused on Blur and Gorillaz, interchanging between the two every 3-4 years. But that's just not how it is.
Yo - not actually bovvered whether he focuses on Blur or Gorillas TBH.
The last Blur album was, for me, the most disappointing thing he's ever been involved with.
I'd just like there to be a bit more quality control on his songs, however he decides to badge them.
Someone at the record company to say, "Sorry Damon - that's just not good enough. Try again!"

dougharrison
Posts: 298
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 03:01

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by dougharrison » 22 Sep 2020, 22:12

Neal Zeal wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 21:32

Yo - not actually bovvered whether he focuses on Blur or Gorillas TBH.
The last Blur album was, for me, the most disappointing thing he's ever been involved with.
I'd just like there to be a bit more quality control on his songs, however he decides to badge them.
Someone at the record company to say, "Sorry Damon - that's just not good enough. Try again!"
This actually implies that The Now Now and Alice in Wonderland soundtrack are better albums than TMW. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion and all but I find that a really difficult position to empathize with.

Neal Zeal
Posts: 393
Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 16:43

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 Sep 2020, 22:52

dougharrison wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 22:12
Neal Zeal wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 21:32

Yo - not actually bovvered whether he focuses on Blur or Gorillas TBH.
The last Blur album was, for me, the most disappointing thing he's ever been involved with.
I'd just like there to be a bit more quality control on his songs, however he decides to badge them.
Someone at the record company to say, "Sorry Damon - that's just not good enough. Try again!"
This actually implies that The Now Now and Alice in Wonderland soundtrack are better albums than TMW. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion and all but I find that a really difficult position to empathize with.
Not saying Magic Whip is the worst thing he's ever done - just the most disappointing.
I didn't have high hopes for Now Now or AIW.
But I certainly did for TMW as it was the first proper Blur album in nearly 20 years and, to my ears, it's easily the worst.
Doesn't contain a single great song - just a small number of quite good ones and way too much forgettable filler. Such a shame.

dougharrison
Posts: 298
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 03:01

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by dougharrison » 23 Sep 2020, 14:41

Neal Zeal wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 22:52


Not saying Magic Whip is the worst thing he's ever done - just the most disappointing.
I didn't have high hopes for Now Now or AIW.
But I certainly did for TMW as it was the first proper Blur album in nearly 20 years and, to my ears, it's easily the worst.
Doesn't contain a single great song - just a small number of quite good ones and way too much forgettable filler. Such a shame.
Fair enough mate, I understand where you are coming from now. I still love TMW personally and to my ears it's got plenty of great songs. I put it a long way ahead of Leisure and Think Tank and a tad ahead of TGE too.

User avatar
stephen
Posts: 799
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53
Location: On a stroppy little island of mixed up people
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by stephen » 23 Sep 2020, 15:05

Don't get the hate for TMW, its not an amazing album but it's still a blur album

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1958
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by Rubi » 23 Sep 2020, 15:21

stephen wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 15:05
Don't get the hate for TMW, its not an amazing album but it's still a blur album
I agree. It's a good album, but I get why some people might have felt disappointed, considering, as Neal Zeal said, it was the first Blur album in 12 years. It doesn't have any amazing songs, but I'd also argue that it has some really good, under appreciated tunes. My Terracotta Heart, for example, in my opinion is one of the most underrated Blur songs ever. And I'd also argue that it barely has any filler. It's a 7/10 album, maybe 8/10 for some.

User avatar
bugman
Posts: 983
Joined: 23 Sep 2014, 20:21

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by bugman » 23 Sep 2020, 16:22

8/10 its a weak album ?!

Post Reply