Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

dougharrison

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by dougharrison » 10 Sep 2020, 17:46

I'm guessing the CD included with the Almanac is likely to be the standard version of the album?

EDIT: Just found a description from the Gorillaz store (via google as couldn't find it on the site) The Almanac CD is described as

"Season One of Song Machine

10 tracks

Available October 2020"

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 10 Sep 2020, 17:55

And another possible slight format tweak for those who care about the artwork, according to my local independent they are offering the double CD with "alternate sleeve". Unclear if this is an indie store exclusive, or if it's merely that the deluxe and standard have different covers...

rich

Post by rich » 10 Sep 2020, 18:04

Thanks for all the info Jack!!

like you I've gone for the super deluxe vinyl...
JackS wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 13:44
There is an absolutely great post on Reddit where someone has worked out all the various editions / versions. I didn't realise there were so many exclusive coloured editions, or that the cassettes each have a different tracklisting (!)

It is further complicated by the bundles, as well as the Almanac bundles which each come with a CD.
I noticed that there was a wide array of Song Machine Season One: Strange Timez physical editions available for purchase, including many options that some fans of the band may have trouble finding. I have written a guide that details the features, costs, and availability of each product, as well as where to find them. It only deals with physical editions of music and not other merchandise available, like t-shirts or sticker packs. Enjoy.
All prices are in USD; amounts may vary based on distributor.

Before we begin, I have organized a list of the tracklistings that appear on each edition for ease of reading:

Tracklisting
Standard
The standard tracklisting is as follows:
Strange Timez (feat. Robert Smith)
The Valley of The Pagans (feat. Beck)
The Lost Chord (feat. Leee John)
Pac-Man (feat. ScHoolboy Q)
Chalk Tablet Towers (feat. St Vincent)
The Pink Phantom (feat. Elton John and 6LACK)
Aries (feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
Dead Butterflies (feat. Kano and Roxani Arias)
Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara) [Extended Version]
Momentary Bliss (feat. Slowthai and Slaves)

Deluxe
The deluxe tracklisting is as follows:
All songs available on the standard tracklisting, as well as
Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)
Simplicity (feat. Joan As Police Woman)
Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)
MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
How Far? (feat. Tony Allen and Skepta)

Cassette
Each character-branded version of the Strange Timez Cassette (available from the Gorillaz webstore) features a different tracklisting:

Song Machine made by 2D from Gorillaz Mix:
Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara)

Mud'z Massive Machine Mix:
Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)

The Machine Is On!! A Song Machine Mix by Noodle:
With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)

Russel Hobbs presents a flamin' hot Song Machine Mix:
Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)

CD

There are two versions of CDs available for purchase:

Song Machine Season One CD: A CD version of "Strange Timez," featuring the standard tracklist. Also may come with the Almanac (product description does not specify which edition the Almanac is shipped with, or if it changes based on book purchased). $13.98

Song Machine Season One Deluxe CD: A CD version of "Strange Timez," featuring the deluxe tracklist. Comes with the Deluxe and Super Deluxe vinyl editions. $18.98

Vinyl

There are four different full-size vinyl available, in a number of different formats and editions. Additonally, in the Super Deluxe package each song on the standard tracklisting comes with its own 7-inch record, with an instrumental version on the B-side.

Song Machine Season One Standard Vinyl: This edition is a single disc set with the standard tracklisting, on regular black material. $21.98

Song Machine Season One Deluxe Vinyl : This edition has two records, one with the standard tracklisting and another with the additional tracks provided by the deluxe. It also arrives with a Deluxe CD, a 20 page 12" hardcover art book, a download card for the deluxe version, 3 12" art prints, and a single 12" label copy sheet. $79.98

Note: there is also a deluxe version available from many the Record Store Day site and possible independent webstores as well that features the double LP with none of the extra trappings. This standalone version is $29.98.

Song Machine Season One Super Deluxe Vinyl: The super deluxe box set is housed in a lift-off lidded box. Inside, there is everything included with the Deluxe edition, along with a crank-handle music box that plays the Song Machine Theme Tune, 11 7-inch records (one for each song on the standard version, and their instrumentals), and 11 12" art prints. $249.98

Song Machine Season One Indie Record Store Exclusive: The indie record store exclusive is only available from independent record stores and is limited in stock. It is the standard version, printed on a neon orange vinyl. I have included a version from the first search result that came up so you can see for yourself, but I ask that you support your local record store(s) and buy from there instead if possible. $21.98

Song Machine Season One Amazon Exclusive: Apparently only available on the U.K. Amazon store. The standard tracklisting, printed on curacao blue. 19.99 GBP

Song Machine Season One (Vinyl Me, Please Exclusive): The standard vinyl, but printed on recycled purple material. Stock is limited to 2500 copies. This is the hardest-to-get and most exclusive version as it is a Members-Only release. VMP membership costs $33 per month, while this album costs an additional $31 on top of it (think Disney Plus + Mulan). Technically $31, but in reality $64.

Cassette

Each animated band member of Gorillaz has their own cassette tape, the titles and tracklists of which are listed above. The cassette tape packaging aligns with the "colors" commonly assigned to each character, meaning Noodle's cassete is sky blue, Murdoc's pale green, 2D's light red, and Russel's a medium orange. They are adorned with printed icons meant to represent the characters (Noodle has a katsu, Russel has a ghost, etc. All tapes also have Bonesy, the letter "A," and the Song Machine logo). Noodle's labels are in Japanese characters. All cassettes are $9.98.

Song Machine made by 2D from Gorillaz Mix
Mud'z Massive Machine Mix
The Machine Is On!! A Song Machine Mix by Noodle
Russel Hobbs presents a flamin' hot Song Machine Mix

Circle of Friendz Pass

The Circle of Friendz Pass is $3 and gives owners early access to merchandise released by Gorillaz, first access to "Circle of Friendz tickets," (a series of Gorillaz live concerts on December 12 and 13), and an unspecified " and more."

That concludes this catalog of the music-based merchandising currently available from the Gorillaz webstore and associated sites. Thank you for reading and I hope this helped. Choose Pazuzu!
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Sep 2020, 18:34

it has also bonus track on itunes japan edition ;]

Themongoose87

Post by Themongoose87 » 10 Sep 2020, 20:08

Really can't wait to hear the track with Beck

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 10 Sep 2020, 20:20

Themongoose87 wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 20:08
Really can't wait to hear the track with Beck
It leaked a few weeks ago: https://archive.org/details/west-hollywood

I'm really looking forward to the track with St. Vincent. Big fan.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 10 Sep 2020, 20:40

Neal Zeal wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 13:30
I don't remember Smith ever saying anything complimentary about Blur though, and maybe even slagged them off a bit.
There is this delicious quote from his interview for Blah Blah Blah magazine, done in 1995:

We played a concert recently in France and Blur were supporting us. The whole front ten rows were diehard Goths. They were giving Damon shit and screaming at him, so he started chucking water over their hair. He said, 'The more you shout, the more water I’m gonna pour over you, and you’ll all look stupid when Robert comes out.'
I like Blur for having a sense of humour. That’s something that’s underpinned everything we’ve done. People think we’re Mr. Doom & Gloom, but they should spend an evening with us. We laugh more than anyone I know.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 10 Sep 2020, 21:07

There's also a yellow vinyl exclusive for big record stores:
HMV in the UK
HHV in Germany
JB Hi-Fi in Australia
maybe more.

rich

Post by rich » 10 Sep 2020, 21:56

I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Sep 2020, 08:31

Nice, like them

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Sep 2020, 15:22

*awaiting usual Sledge Hammer comment about how Damon is wasting time with Gorillaz and should return making music with Blur*

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 11 Sep 2020, 15:26

^Dont encourage him... :lol:
I've pre-ordered the vinyl, t-shirt and pass. Really enjoying the song machine experience.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

semi

Post by semi » 11 Sep 2020, 15:28

Rubi wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:22
*awaiting usual Sledge Hammer comment about how Damon is wasting time with Gorillaz and should return making music with Blur*
Isn't he?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Sep 2020, 17:01

semi wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:28
Rubi wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:22
Isn't he?
Of course not. Blur is the past, Gorillaz is the present and future. It's a project that grants Damon so much freedom and liberty to do whatever the hell he desires. For him it's a haven.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 12 Sep 2020, 06:43

Freedom doesn't always equal quality. Damon's very hit and miss these days. It would be nice for him to put proper focus on a project and be selective with what he chooses to release rather than trying to collaborate with everyone, everywhere.

He can do whatever he wants, he's earned that. I still love Momentary Bliss and Aries from Song Machine. But from a personal perspective I'd much rather hear a Blur record with Graham, Alex and Dave's instrumentation than another synth pop tune lol.