Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

rich

Gorillaz Almanac + Song Machine CD pre-order for October 2020

Post by rich » 27 May 2020, 00:58

Just seen this via Pitchfork...
https://z2comics.com/products/gorillaz- ... 8169734284

I was about to buy but then I saw that postage from US to UK is $50!! Is this real? Why no UK edition??

edit: standard UK edition here :)
https://store.gorillaz.com/uk/almanac-standard.html

super deluxes sold out, deluxes available but difficult to find on UK gorillaz sites, standards available as above...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

lumaka

Re: Gorillaz Almanac + Song Machine CD pre-order for October 2020

Post by lumaka » 27 May 2020, 07:01

Standard and deluxe are on the store's home page: https://store.gorillaz.com/uk/
Versions without cd and cd only are harder to find, they put them on the Accessories page: https://store.gorillaz.com/uk/accessories.html

use discount code GQUIZ (20% off if I'm not mistaken)

stephen

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by stephen » 09 Jun 2020, 10:25

Next one coming at 5pm tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ALIgizTcc

bugman

Post by bugman » 09 Jun 2020, 16:43

its boring track. weakest song from SM

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 09 Jun 2020, 17:55

Am I the only one who's still waiting for Damon to write the next Feel Good Inc. for Gorillaz?

bugman

Post by bugman » 09 Jun 2020, 18:05

Rubi wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 17:55
Am I the only one who's still waiting for Damon to write the next Feel Good Inc. for Gorillaz?
its not gonna happend i think. same no parklife or country house 2.0

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Jun 2020, 20:19

I really can’t see him ever revisiting Demon Days in sound, but I do like these songs and this new one may grow on me as part of an album. The songs do sound relevant to today’s music, which I have felt has been missing right back to PB in parts. I guess waiting nearly two months for an episode to arrive and maybe exploring an area of music you would not normally flock to, there is going to be a negative reaction. I don’t mind it, and none of the episodes resemble each other at all in style, so I’m liking the Song Machine.

The next episode definitely has potential.

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Jun 2020, 07:44

It's all been a bit meh for me, the stand out track for me was the first one; Momentary Bliss. Maybe i'm just at an age where I don't appreciate the current trends. I have to say though that Humanz has been a great grower on me, Gorillaz has always had that affect on me

John_d

Post by John_d » 10 Jun 2020, 08:41

I think the new tune is fine. You can't expect every song to be a cracker. Momentary Bliss does increasingly look like a higher tier of quailty in terms of music and video. Anybody know why the video was so different to all their others?

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 10 Jun 2020, 20:55

It reminds me of an old Alex James quote circa 2000 or so, when he said something along the lines of if you have 10 songs that could all be singles you don't need to release an album, you might as well release 10 singles. The new one is definitely an album track.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 11 Jun 2020, 09:35

I think the problem is, despite these songs being released in a single format they will make up an album later in the year, so they won't be all like Momentary Bliss. It is like PB being released in a similar way and say 'Sweepstakes' (which I like) being released after episodes which included Stylo, On Melancholy Hill and Rhinestone Eyes. The new song has a Gorillaz sound insrumentally, but Octavian features too much on this track for my liking, almost like it is his song featuring Gorillaz rather than the other way round. I would be happy to have this as an instrumental song tbh as I do like the vibe.

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Jun 2020, 14:11

I know where people are coming from about the album fillers but I was expecting the songs to stick out individually. To maybe feel like a collection of singles rather than what they are. That's not to say that I expect every song to be an instant hit. I think newer artists are very good at this and I love it when you hear how one song started and then how it ends up being. For example it's not unusual to hear 4-5 versions of a song (maybe over a span of a year?) for it then to have newer arrangements or different collaborations / vocals through it's journey, I was kind of expecting this to happen but for whatever reason it hasn't yet. I think back in the old printed format of the industry the song that gets released is the final/best version but there's no need for this here (they shoudn't be ashamed of something that might not feel 100% finished but definitely has some kind of distinction/definition). You'd think Gorillaz with the creative looseness they have it would be a perfect fit, but we get one version of a song and it feels like that's the definitive version. I'm trying to say that when they release instrumentals or acapellas they are essentially opening the tracks up for remixes, so either they don't want this to happen or they aren't open to the idea.

Blur's think tank sessions, hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think I read somewhere that they had something like 11 versions of Money Makes Me Crazy, and we got to hear 2 of those. Wouldn't it have been amazing if we had heard more of the creative process as it was happening and how those versions changed with time (there was like 50 songs in the end of think tank sessions?).

Currently Gorillaz are still sitting somewhere between the old fashioned "we release a song and that's that", and "we have a creative process and we'll let you in every now and then but its still on our terms".

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 11 Jun 2020, 20:25

Jesus that is awful, autotune hell. Blur we are done...;(

JackS

Post by JackS » 12 Jun 2020, 11:50

I reckon they've deliberately gone for a weaker one after Aries, because Aries is getting traction and still peaking. It's currently A List on 6 music for example. A weaker one lets Aries continue its momentum for another week or two

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 12 Jun 2020, 23:08

Song is definitely a grower, but I think it has already grown on me considerably since first listen. Wasn't eager to relisten like I was to the rest of the Song Machine tracks, but parts of Octavian's parts are interesting - albeit still the weakest of the Song Machine collabs. The instrumental is absolutely gorgeous though, and like all the SM tracks so far, beautifully produced. Check out this decent fan-made instrumental, it's wonderful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47JeLFMG9dI

To stephen's point about hearing changes in songs, I am also very curious about this. If any of the songs thus far would have changes in the future, I could see How Far? being tweaked due to its rushed release after the death of the legend Tony. I could see Damon popping on it in the full version as it's the only SM track to not feature his vocals in some capacity, and I'm sure Tony laid down plenty of drums in the studio with Damon. Here's hoping!