Parklife and Two States

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

loveinthe90s

Parklife and Two States

Post by loveinthe90s » 18 Nov 2019, 23:26

Not sure if this has been discussed before but does anyone else hear the resemblance between Parklife and Two States by Pavement?

jonathas

Re: Parklife and Two States

Post by jonathas » 19 Nov 2019, 12:49

Would love to say I did, but no, not really. Two States is a lovely track but it's Scott doing straightforward Fall worship and I don't think Damon was ever really mining The Fall as an inspiration - at least not as early as Parklife. I guess there's not a million miles between The Fall and Wire, but I don't think you hear much Pavement/Blur overlap 'til the b-sides of TGE.

stephen

Post by stephen » 19 Nov 2019, 13:48

I've heard the reference before but until just now never heard the two states tracks. Definitely sounds like the verse could have been taken for inspirtation (bass line?), the chorus sounds completely different to me though. Pop music is all about stealing other peoples work, I'm suprised blur haven't been sued more than they have though. And I don't mean that in a harsh way it's just the majority of pop acts now get caught out and are happy to pay the share of loyalities. Everything has to be taken from something, nothing is completely unique it has to come from somewhere but I think blur do just about enough to take a piece of something and turn it into something different. Although I know they got caught out from M.O.R and they openely admit that it was too close to the Bowie song.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 19 Nov 2019, 19:18

Yeah it's really different when it gets to the chorus, but the rhythm pattern sounds pretty similar to me. When did Graham become a Pavement fan? Two States was released in 1992.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 19 Nov 2019, 21:23

Seen a few things that imply Graham got into US indie rock though Jo from Huggy Bear and stuff like that and that the influence was felt post '95 etc, but it's never sounded credible to me that the band only heard Pavement in the mid-90s. Trigger Cut and Summer Babe were getting endless rotation on The Evening Session in Spring 1992, around the same time Blur were on tour with Dinosaur Jr, who were obviously a big influence on them already. Seems unlikely that Graham wouldn't have a copy of Slanted and Enchanted to me - but I guess it's possible.

For the record though, I still really don't think the songs are that similar - any number of post-punk songs do the same thing - have a listen to 'The Right Profile' from London Calling, for instance.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 19 Nov 2019, 21:42

The Right Profile never reminded me of Parklife or Two States though, it doesn't have that swingy bouncy feeling to it. By the way I'm not trying to blame "the soundtrack of britpop" on Pavement lol, I simply put Slanted and Enchanted on and thought I heard something else for a moment 😂 Just thought it would be interesting to discuss since I've seen posts on blur's various influences and how they make them their own.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 19 Nov 2019, 21:59

No, it’s an interesting question!! I’d really like to get more of a sense from artists on who they’re listening to when they do new stuff. It’d be great if each new LP a band presented came with a little bibliography of stuff that was on it the background at the time. Pretty unappealing from a band’s perspective - giving the game away - but fascinating from the listener’s point of view.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 19 Nov 2019, 22:05

The bibliography could be a bit tricky since sometimes the band might not even realize what has leaked into their work. Fascinating for listeners either way!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Nov 2019, 22:36

I've always been too busy comparing Perfume-V to Don't You Forget About Me :lol:

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 21 Nov 2019, 14:01

I might be imagining it but I seem to remember Graham providing a 'what I'm listening to' list in one of the issues of Blurb. If I recall correctly it was a mix of US punk (Nation of Ulysses etc) and jazz. Was probably '96 or later.

I found this later quote from him, referring back to the recording of The Great Escape:
“I was always trying to mess around and be noisy and more exploratory with guitars because I was listening to the Americans. English pop guitarists were pretty dull. I was always trying to get some Pavement or Sonic Youth thing going on, using guitars that had brittle sounds, like on He Thought Of Cars. I was trying to be Thurston Moore and Link Wray and Steve Malkmus, but these things only work in context.