New Blur?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

munch

New Blur?

Post by munch » 06 Sep 2019, 08:26

Don't get excited, just speculation.. from me.

As we know with Damon, he is constantly producing material. He never really stops. So why has he been so quiet for so long now. Merrie Land finished it's run so what is next?

I have to say, Merrie Land was a very good album and certainly took Damon back to his own country with writing. What's more english than Blur?? (Well at least, it's more english than Gorillaz)
Damon wrote Humanz inspired by the Election, same with Merrie Land and Brexit. Well Brexit is not over, it's not even begun. A bunch of time has gone by and I reckon Damon would start missing the old band.
Last time they had a break it was because the wounds were still fresh, the break after that was because it was awkward. Everyone was still on their own paths.

Maybe we WILL get new Blur music soon? I want to hear them try something completely new. I want to hear a full album that showcases all of their talents in 2020.
Maybe?
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

stephen

Re: New Blur?

Post by stephen » 06 Sep 2019, 09:09

Damon's doing that paris thing isn't he? I imagine Dave is super busy. Alex has got his farm land to look after. Graham's doing a solo album (probably?) and Stephen Street is a full time twitter moaner.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

munch

Post by munch » 06 Sep 2019, 09:13

stephen wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 09:09
Damon's doing that paris thing isn't he? I imagine Dave is super busy. Alex has got his farm land to look after. Graham's doing a solo album (probably?) and Stephen Street is a full time twitter moaner.
Hmmmmm. i guess you're right. Stephen is the key to all this.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 06 Sep 2019, 11:18

I think Damon is busy working on The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows, this Iceland thing - it premieres next May, and when he was asked about it two months ago he said: "I haven't quite written it yet", so… :roll: It seems he's in Iceland right now - yesterday some fan bumped into him in Reykjavik.

stephen

Post by stephen » 06 Sep 2019, 13:26

lumaka wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 11:18
I think Damon is busy working on The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows, this Iceland thing - it premieres next May, and when he was asked about it two months ago he said: "I haven't quite written it yet", so… :roll: It seems he's in Iceland right now - yesterday some fan bumped into him in Reykjavik.
Yes you explained it better than me :lol:

It did look like there was a potential window but it looks like it's completely shut now. Maybe they should do something for record store day, that would be sweeeet. We are only asking for a couple of songs :)

Please :)

stephen

Post by stephen » 06 Sep 2019, 16:03

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 07 Sep 2019, 02:34

i think there's probably something going on with gorillaz

about a month ago they put up this fake festival lineup with some more new playlists and changed their avatar

usually gorillaz just totally goes away for a few years with no updates

and since the first gorillaz release was in 2000 i think they might be cooking something up for the 20th anniversary

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 09 Sep 2019, 12:39

There was a Damon interview on Radio 4 last night.
He said he's now got nothing planned until early next year (he mentioned a month - can't remember which!).

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Sep 2019, 12:54

Neal Zeal wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:39
He said he's now got nothing planned until early next year (he mentioned a month - can't remember which!).
That sounds highly irregular :lol:

It wasn't a repeat of the Mastertapes from last year? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mf3

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 09 Sep 2019, 13:56

stephen wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:54
Neal Zeal wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:39
That sounds highly irregular :lol:

It wasn't a repeat of the Mastertapes from last year? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mf3
Oh, heck maybe it was! I do remember the term Mastertapes.
But he wasn't knocking around at a loose end for a bit later last year, was he?

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 10 Sep 2019, 13:27

There's just no way to know.. I think if they are going to do something then they will just announce it when it happens, much like they did with TMW. No big build up or anything. They have nothing to prove now, making a bit thing out of it would make it look like they do.

Was there any inkling before the announcement of TMW that something was up? Same with the performance earlier this year. I don't you will ever hear any of them casually saying in an interview "yeah, me and the guys are going to do an album later this year".

I'm just hoping and praying for an announcement out of no where of new material or even just a tour!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Sep 2019, 11:49

TracyJosh wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:27
There's just no way to know.. I think if they are going to do something then they will just announce it when it happens, much like they did with TMW. No big build up or anything. They have nothing to prove now, making a bit thing out of it would make it look like they do.

Was there any inkling before the announcement of TMW that something was up? Same with the performance earlier this year. I don't you will ever hear any of them casually saying in an interview "yeah, me and the guys are going to do an album later this year".

I'm just hoping and praying for an announcement out of no where of new material or even just a tour!
Yet if a new album is ever going to happen, I want them collectively working on it with real intent, rather than just Graham polishing some old rehearsal tapes.

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Sep 2019, 12:44

TracyJosh wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:27
Was there any inkling before the announcement of TMW that something was up?
This was about as concrete as it got :lol: http://vblurpage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6401#p6401

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 12 Sep 2019, 06:14

You can't trust what he says anyway. Fans didn't know about TMW until it dropped.

stephen

Post by stephen » 12 Sep 2019, 08:05

dparrott wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 06:14
You can't trust what he says anyway. Fans didn't know about TMW until it dropped.
erh it was a joke :shock: