New release: Live at the BBC

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

rich

Re: New release: Live at the BBC

Post by rich » 18 Jul 2019, 20:09

rich

Post by rich » 18 Jul 2019, 20:20

i've ordered the 10"... :)

at £10 it's cheaper on the official site than those other places listed above...

most of the new T shirts seem to have sold out :roll:

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Jul 2019, 07:57

Damon didn't do any Parklife 25th anniversary gigs because of Brexit, as didn't want to celebrate Britishness with Brexit, he has gone full snowflake/woke, bring back the 90s when there was none of this pc crap, even the tv show Friends gets protested against by this new generation, Friends isn't diverse enough and homophobic etc, give me strength ffs.

Liese

Post by Liese » 19 Jul 2019, 08:38

Sledge Hammer wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 07:57
Damon didn't do any Parklife 25th anniversary gigs because of Brexit, as didn't want to celebrate Britishness with Brexit
One more thing to love this guy for, imho.

Ordered the vinyl and a red parklife tote (as if I needed another tote, I am such a merchandise victim) and am still getting my hopes up there will be something going on around the release, even if not celebrating Parklife/Britishness in general...
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

stephen

Post by stephen » 19 Jul 2019, 08:46

Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Jul 2019, 09:54

Liese wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 08:38
Sledge Hammer wrote:
Damon didn't do any Parklife 25th anniversary gigs because of Brexit, as didn't want to celebrate Britishness with Brexit

Ordered the vinyl and a red parklife tote (as if I needed another tote, I am such a merchandise victim) and am still getting my hopes up there will be something going on around the release, even if not celebrating Parklife/Britishness in general...
I bought Parklife back in 1994 when I was 19, there was no issue with it been too British etc, it celebrated Britain, from Bank Holidays to the dogs to the pub to the cheap 18-30 holiday etc. Only now is it an issue, even if you voted remain does that mean you cant celebrate Britain? self hating leftists are the problem.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 19 Jul 2019, 11:31

This self hating leftist doesn't want to have to tell certain people for the millionth time to leave political discussions in off-topic, and keep this to the music - but two pages into this thread and it looks like I'm going to have to.

If anyone has a sincere, burning need to discuss it, go find a politics forum. But no more in this thread.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 19 Jul 2019, 12:11

It doesn't make Damon a 'snowflake'. He is probably just concerned that celebrating the album's anniversary would be misinterpreted and taken out of context given the current political climate. In all his recent interviews regarding brexit, he has been very vocal about the fact people of opposing political views and opinions should have constructive debate to try and move forward. He seems at peace with the fact those who veer towards the right aren't always bad people and is purely encouraging open discussion.

I don't think Parklife 'celebrates' Britain. If anything, it's a critical observation of British social routines and cultures. It hardly screams "Britain is great".

With all that is going on, a big anniversary celebration would run the risk of politicizing an album that was never intended to be political.

rich

Post by rich » 19 Jul 2019, 12:34

TracyJosh wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 12:11
It doesn't make Damon a 'snowflake'. He is probably just concerned that celebrating the album's anniversary would be misinterpreted and taken out of context given the current political climate. In all his recent interviews regarding brexit, he has been very vocal about the fact people of opposing political views and opinions should have constructive debate to try and move forward. He seems at peace with the fact those who veer towards the right aren't always bad people and is purely encouraging open discussion.

I don't think Parklife 'celebrates' Britain. If anything, it's a critical observation of British social routines and cultures. It hardly screams "Britain is great".

With all that is going on, a big anniversary celebration would run the risk of politicizing an album that was never intended to be political.
Well said TracyJosh...

And Sledge, the only "issue" with Parklife seems to be with you mate! This 'leftist' bought Parklife in 1994 - only I wasn't 19, I was 40 :) - and I bought Merrie Land last year. Love them both. Musically, Parklife wins though. This Is A Low is still one of the best things, if not the best, that Damon's done...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 19 Jul 2019, 12:51

Oooohhh nice t-shirts, may have to order one of these and the vinyl, although this purely is for my ever growing pile of merchandise as I haven't owned anything to play one on since the late 80's/early 90's.

stephen

Post by stephen » 19 Jul 2019, 13:06

TracyJosh wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 12:11
That's true. Damon's an artist he writes what he sees, Parklife was his take on Britain in 1993/94 and Merrie Land is of current Britain.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Jul 2019, 17:32

Sledge Hammer wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 09:54
Liese wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 08:38
Sledge Hammer wrote:

I bought Parklife back in 1994 when I was 19, there was no issue with it been too British etc, it celebrated Britain, from Bank Holidays to the dogs to the pub to the cheap 18-30 holiday etc. Only now is it an issue, even if you voted remain does that mean you cant celebrate Britain? self hating leftists are the problem.
I think the album is actually a lot more balanced and nuanced than you give it credit for, although by all means please enjoy it as feels right to you.

Via my self-hating leftist eyes, Tracy Jacks explores a mental breakdown, Jubilee a disenfranchised tweenager, End of a Century a very British style fuss about nothing, To The End is a song about a relationship that doesn't yet know it's dead and that's before we get on to the unbridled love Damon shows for call centre workers to TITMC.

I'm not for a moment trying to suggest the album is depressing or that you shouldn't enjoy it or have fun, just saying there's more to it than a Chas & Dave singalong.

FWIW (and don't forget I've already been wrong about this anniversary already) I don't think there will be much, if anything, else going on the actual anniversary was back in the spring.

Also being a bit of a merch slut I may have purchased a few of the ringer tees as well as the vinyl...
Last edited by dougharrison on 22 Jul 2019, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

Blureu

Post by Blureu » 19 Jul 2019, 18:52

Any mention if the vinyl will include a download code?

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 19 Jul 2019, 21:07

All this parklife chat is getting me hot and bothered :P ...

Have those BBC sessions not been released in some capacity before?

Trouble with the fact they were so generous with the 21 box set, is that there’s not really much more to give to celebrate anniversaries as they roll in!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 19 Jul 2019, 21:23

TracyJosh wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 21:07
Have those BBC sessions not been released in some capacity before?
---> http://www.vblurpage.com/discography/pr ... betbet.htm