Is Think Tank an underrated masterpiece?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Is Think Tank an underrated masterpiece?

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 May 2018, 13:29

I love "1" but I don't think it would have been good on Think Tank as it was recorded a few years before. The Outsider should be left as a b-side but Don't Be (Acoustic Mix) would have been a nice addition. I really love the demo idea of Sweet Song too. Better than the album version in my opinion...
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 May 2018, 13:29

I think Colours should have been included on TT too, great little song and very Blur in sound.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 May 2018, 13:36

^ Definitely!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 May 2018, 13:55

I believe Graham appears on:

Battery in your leg
"Battery In Your Leg" is the only track on the album where Graham plays (excluding the bonus track "The Outsider" on the Japanese version). "It's the only thing that when Graham did come back to the studio briefly worked," Damon has said.

Morricone
Composed by Damon Albarn, Alex James & Dave Rowntree ("Morricone" co-written by Graham Coxon).

The Outsider
Composed by Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon, Alex James, Dave Rowntree. Produced by Blur / Ben Hillier for 140dB.

Some Glad Morning
Composed by Albarn/Coxon/James/Rowntree. Produced by Blur / Ben Hillier for 140db. Production Assistant: Jason Cox. Engineer: Ben Hillier / Jason Cox. Additional Engineer / Programming by James Dring. Mixed: Ben Hillier. Track Selection by Blur.

that came out of the think tank sessions. Saturday is still one of a number of songs that hasn't been released to the public, I don't know if Graham Coxon had anything to do with that particular track.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 10 May 2018, 03:38

tom_cas1 wrote:I love "1" but I don't think it would have been good on Think Tank as it was recorded a few years before. The Outsider should be left as a b-side but Don't Be (Acoustic Mix) would have been a nice addition. I really love the demo idea of Sweet Song too. Better than the album version in my opinion...
Interesting that two folks like The Outsider as more of a b-side. I always rated that as the best of the b-sides. I'll have to listen to Don't Be (acoustic mix). Not sure I remember that version.

I concur, Sweet Song demo is very good.

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 10 May 2018, 03:42

Neal Zeal wrote: Nice post. Couple of things to mention though.
- Out of Time was no massive hit. Although it went top 10, it flew out of the top 40 in record time, and sold way fewer than any other first single off a Blur album.
- What are these three Graham songs? I'd never heard of them? Songs that he wrote himself (words and music) that were going to be used on a Blur album? That's a first isn't it? Thought he only ever contributed guitar lines rather than entire songs. And were they actually recorded as Blur, or did he end up putting them on a solo album? Apols if everyone knows all this stuff already!
Sorry for the lack of clarity. Graham played on 4 songs that were recorded total. I assume they were all Damon songs the band jammed or worked on. They were Battery in Your Leg (album track), The Outsider (b-side), Morricone (b-side), and Some Glad Morning (fan club track). I quite like them all, they seem like a logical follow on to Music is My Radar direction.

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 May 2018, 07:54

The Outsider is great, but in my opinion it just doesn't fit on the album.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 10 May 2018, 12:41

I think it is one of the biggest tragedies in the Blur story that 'Colours' wasn't included on Think Tank. It could have been a single too. Just an effortlessly brilliant, beautiful song. Every bit as good as Out of time.

I only really think that Crazy Beat and Brothers and Sisters are the only bad songs on Think Tank. The afro synth solo at the end of Brothers and sisters is pretty weapon though...

Liking this thread

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 May 2018, 18:23

TracyJosh wrote:I think it is one of the biggest tragedies in the Blur story that 'Colours' wasn't included on Think Tank. It could have been a single too. Just an effortlessly brilliant, beautiful song. Every bit as good as Out of time.

colours also wasnt included in blur box 2012. still wonder, why ?

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 10 May 2018, 22:59

bugman wrote:
TracyJosh wrote:I think it is one of the biggest tragedies in the Blur story that 'Colours' wasn't included on Think Tank. It could have been a single too. Just an effortlessly brilliant, beautiful song. Every bit as good as Out of time.

colours also wasnt included in blur box 2012. still wonder, why ?
I would guess someone forgot about it or they ran out of room trying to squeeze in some other stuff.

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 11 May 2018, 07:57

Colours is amazing.. When was it recorded? Before graham left?
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 11 May 2018, 10:07

I would imagine it was after Graham as it sounds very Damon in chord sequence, very simple but it sounds great.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 May 2018, 13:27

Colours is excellent.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 11 May 2018, 13:51

Brilliant forgotten song, Colours!

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 12 May 2018, 13:16

Totally agree on Colours, fantastic song.