Is Think Tank an underrated masterpiece?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

betterstill85

Is Think Tank an underrated masterpiece?

Post by betterstill85 » 30 Apr 2018, 19:31

We think so...

http://www.secretmeeting.co.uk/blur-think-tank-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Re: Is Think Tank an underrated masterpiece?

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Apr 2018, 19:49

Definitely underrated and definitely a masterpiece. And before anyone says otherwise, it IS a Blur album.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

bugman

Post by bugman » 30 Apr 2018, 19:57

tom_cas1 wrote:Definitely underrated and definitely a masterpiece. And before anyone says otherwise, it IS a Blur album.
Amen. I love it

Petter

Post by Petter » 30 Apr 2018, 23:11

No, its crap. Except Ambulance, Out Of Time & Battery. The rest is dull and nowhere near the quality of the rest of the records. And dont get me started on track number 3, which I wont even mention by name.

stephen

Post by stephen » 01 May 2018, 13:27

There's a lot of album fillers and a couple of good songs, good song being one of them.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 01 May 2018, 15:28

I agree on the album fillers, for me the stand out tracks are Out of Time, Ambulance & Battery in your leg and some decent songs like Caravan, Good Song & Sweet Song, but for me songs like Crazy Beat, MPRBC, Jets & Gene by Gene just spoil the flow. Never a big fan of the production either, but the lack of Graham didn't help, leading to more of an electronic sound. One of those albums that sounds so much better live. I really liked it at the time and the album did get great reviews, but I would struggle to listen to it these days and just dip in and out when making up track lists.

TMW to me sounds like more of a natural successor to 13.

stephen

Post by stephen » 01 May 2018, 15:57

It's a 5 out of 10 for me.

Half of the songs are a 10 out of 10 and the other half is 0 out of 10.

I agree TMW is a better transition. Such a shame because I did totally dig the electronic / african vibe they were going for. The production is a funny one, some songs (out of time) sound so much crisper than others. I don't think it's dated very well at all. Maybe a reproduction could help claw back some fans.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 May 2018, 16:29

I think the album sounds just as good now as it did 14 years ago. I can see why Crazy Beat and Gene by Gene get criticism but, for me at least, they add to the overall magnificence of the album.

9/10.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 May 2018, 18:10

It's not anywhere near Blur's worst album (IMO that would be Leisure) but it's not the best Blur album. I'd give it a good 8/10 If it weren't for Crazy Beat, Jets, Moroccan Peoples.... it would be a 9/10. I just can't get into those three songs.

Where it lacks, it exceeds in such songs as Caravan, Ambulance, Out of Time, and Good Song.

And yes, I believe it's IS a Blur album.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 May 2018, 03:20

This might seem contradictory to a certain extent, but "Think Tank" in general is a masterpiece, but not by Blur standards though.

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 02 May 2018, 06:09

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:This might seem contradictory to a certain extent, but "Think Tank" in general is a masterpiece, but not by Blur standards though.
Agreed.

Whenever I listen to it, it's always better than I thought it was. But then I listen to the other Blur albums and I think aw, actually it's not thaaaaat legendary. I like Out of Time, Crazy Beat, Good Song, Caravan, Moroccan etc, Gene x Gene. Think the other songs are all OKAYYY, except Sweet Song which I think is a boring version of No Distance Left to Run. Me White Noise is cool as well. In the end a solid 7/10 album. But I like Leisure much more... and all the other albums including Magic Whip are a perfect 10/10 in my mind
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

bugman

Post by bugman » 02 May 2018, 10:31

I think im the only one Who like moroccan and gene. What a catch, crazy , funky tune they are! Im always Smile when i hear them

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 02 May 2018, 16:31

I agree with you bugman, I think those two songs are just really fun. Great to have tunes like those on an album with more serious or somber songs like Out of Time, Ambulance, Battery, Caravan. And Good Song is one of blur's most relaxing and lovely tunes. Perfect for a warm summer's day.

Really the only track I skip is Crazy Beat. I think Jets gets far too much hate. I can understand finding Gene by Gene annoying, but I wouldn't call it a 0/10 by any means.

stephen

Post by stephen » 03 May 2018, 08:05

revisiting I quite like Crazy Beat, it just doesn't fit on the album. I'd give it a 7/10.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 May 2018, 21:57

higher tier blur album
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners