Best era to see Blur live?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TracyJosh

Best era to see Blur live?

Post by TracyJosh » 28 Feb 2018, 10:08

Just wanted everyone's personal opinions and experiences of when they thought Blur were the most exciting to see as a live act? Based on general atmosphere but also, maybe they played a certain set list you particularly liked?

As someone who has never seen Blur in the flesh, but has listened to many Live bootleg recordings and watched various live performances, as far as musical proficiency is concerned, from 1993 on they were pretty flawless, until of course that difficult Think Tank era. I have found though that the reunion tours have sounded a tad sloppy at times in comparison to mid to late 90s gigs. As I say though, never seen em in the flesh..

stephen

Re: Best era to see Blur live?

Post by stephen » 28 Feb 2018, 10:38

I saw them in 2009 and they were flawless at the Manchester Arena.

I would like to have seen them in the 94-95-96 era.

I think it's hard to compare the two eras as you'll always get some gigs that were better than others regardless of the era they played in.

It's probably easier to pick out individual gigs, for example the mile end stadium gig is iconic. Maybe I'd like to have been there.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 01 Mar 2018, 19:49

Magpie is probably the best man to ask.

I've downloaded nearly all the bootlegs - only really listened much to ones from mid-90s though, this was when downloading bootlegs was impossible/difficult.

Started going to gigs from '97 and I think that makes it difficult to be objective, because so much is tied in to your experience of when you were there etc. Probably the strongest example I have was in '99 when aged 17 i ran away to Paris with my as then on/off-gf, as much as I loved the gig, my memories were her not enjoying it (she identified as a Cliff Richard fan - she was only weeks, not decades older than me), getting lost on the metro and her generally being very moody/travel sick, along with her trying to explain she was bi/lesbian with a really weird mars bar/lesbian analogy.

Factor in that as well as company, your view of it changes based on the company you are with, taking the 09 reunion gigs, I loved EARM and Southend, met some fantastic people and hopefully lifelong friends, but was a bit bored (relatively speaking) at Hyde Park, with very casual fans as friends and more weed than I was used to!

I can genuinely say I had very different opinions of all the gigs I saw, but they are heavily influenced by things other than just the performance on the night. I loved going to the TT gigs, clearly musically not up with their best, but I got to see Blur over 10 times that year and I think it was even something crazy like 7 times in 10 days - the only time I ever got that opportunity. Listening back to a bootleg (especially in the pre-split days) couldn't come close to recreating actually being there as the quality of recording was generally pretty poor.

All in all a very long way of saying i dunno.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 01 Mar 2018, 20:01

Did you went to the gig in Paris in February or April 97?

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 01 Mar 2018, 20:10

the Paris gig I went to was in '99 Theatre du Mutualitie i think - or something like that, would have been around September

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 01 Mar 2018, 20:15

Ah, sorry for my mistake. Besides all the personal troubles, do you remember that they peformed Fried? The setlist of this gig seem's to be amazing. The changes of Blur's setlist is one of the things which made them to such a good live act

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 01 Mar 2018, 20:36

I do indeed - the only time I've seen that performed live. There was a rumour of a second/third encore consisting entirely of Sing, but i dont think that actually happened. A very interesting set list for that gig, although the lady i went with didnt enjoy it

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 01 Mar 2018, 20:40

Well, in spite of all the misery around, you can be damn happy to enjoyed this rare choice of songs. If Blur would come back, they should add some gems to the setlist like at this gig. :)

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 01 Mar 2018, 22:01

93-95 when Damon was in full pogo crazy mode, and Blur meant everything to him. So many brilliant gigs I saw over that period, starting with losing my 21st birthday watch down the front in the mosh Leeds T & C to the scorching brilliant day at Milton Keynes.

bugman

Post by bugman » 02 Mar 2018, 21:31

1997-2003.
fantastic setlists, so many rare tracks (blue jeans for example)

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 02 Mar 2018, 21:39

93 - 95 for Me, Saw them twice each of those years. Ally Pally was My favourite!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

johnol

Post by johnol » 05 Mar 2018, 10:05

I've seen them 22 times since mlir. I would say 97 was the best year for gigs. Saw them 4 times that year and was a culmination of factors that made them ace. The fanbase was now minus the boyband fans. Some corking old b sides played and just so much more energy. That said Hyde park 2015 was ace. Proper old skool crowd and they simply were comfortable in their own skin.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Mar 2018, 14:37

13 era.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 08 Mar 2018, 02:06

Plenty of great eras, even going back to Modern Life Is Rubbish.

Modern Life: earnest, out there, trying as hard as possible to actually stay worthwhile as a band while performing their first good album. In retrospect you'd be seeing a small band on the cusp of becoming massive, which was then pretty much unexpected to anyone – even Damon's massive ego then
Parklife: the excitement of the early shows as the first singles got heavy rotation, then the feeling this was the coolest band in the world
The Great Escape: would be amazing to say you were at Mile End. The peak of Blur as the way most people perceive Blur, the apex of the last big music movement, the Oasis rivalry... would have been a huge buzz in any city they played back on that tour. Lots of songs from this album translated well live to a 'my first concert' type crowd
Blur: angrier, scuzzier, still very popular but a sense of experimentation. These shows seemed to have the excitement and youth of their fan base but they were playing songs like Beetlebum and Song 2 which would be insane. Just listen to some of those bootlegs. Probably their last run as a brash, kick around, energetic band
13: smaller shows, different crowds, probably a more arty and indie crowd but at this point they had a great album with a new sound, interesting setlists, Damon in a bit of a different place, and the fact that at this point they had an almost perfect discography – no shit songs to bring out, no staleness, just a band at this rare point where they could realistically play a different set every night and you'd still be getting bangers

I think Think Tank would be depressing and very odd, especially as a long time fan, but then again a lot of songs on that album are really good and the average ones are way better live, while stuff like Ambulance has a really special vibe in that setting.

Reunion would have been unreal, a little nostalgia heavy.

I saw them twice on The Magic Whip tour but I get to say I saw Blur live at Hyde Park. Which as a young Aussie is a pretty unreal thing to be able to say. I don't feel like I was cheated or saw a band especially phoning it in, and I guess that's the difference. Them getting together is rare and who knows if they will again. It's not like seeing Pixies who tour relentlessly playing old songs non-stop, or even Smashing Pumpkins big on the 'reunion' vibe on their last clutch for relevance... it was all four members, back together, playing a pretty decent album, clearly having fun.

stephen

Post by stephen » 08 Mar 2018, 12:04

I had tickets to see blur in 2003 but couldn't make it, I think I would have been bitterly disappointed so I'm glad I waited till 2009.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good