damon needs a dave balfe

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

damon needs a dave balfe

Postby damon008 » 08 Dec 2017, 09:09

i was thinking about it. who is their now to lay it on the line for damon and,. say, get back in their and write me the singles. then# and only then can you release humanz.

balfe to damon in 1992 - we aint gonna release t,his unless u give me singles. damon went away ruining his xmas plans and wrote 4 tomorow on xmas eve/day. chemacal world was also born the same way.

sure we all scoff at country house 2day but it was a belter at the time"""',
who influence it? dave balfe again, still getting at damons tits but damon channeld his anger in2 writing these songs.

sonewhere along the line, damon lost this extra push that only an annoying git like balfe gave, damon nowing that balfe had good advices to give actually took his word seriously.

i think i can pinpoint the moment damon started 2 change. i sore an interview on utube promoting 13 when damon said he nolonger feels the need to bang 15 chords into a song when 2 will do just fine. to me, 1 of the thingds good about mlir was the fact the songs were,, crafted so well, thought and time went into everything. im not saying every damon song should be chord city just an observation

Re: damon needs a dave balfe

Postby damon008 » 08 Dec 2017, 16:41

im sorry 2 double post but i remember blur played turn it up at glasto 92. surely balfe wasn't to blame for that one but did he say anything about it in 3862 days?

Postby TracyJosh » 08 Dec 2017, 23:40

I see your point, but as much as you may feel Damon needs some form of a managing figure to push him to write commercially successful music that challenges the best bits of his back catalogue, I don't think he wants that or is a hungry for it anymore. He's content and quite secure in his older age just doing whatever comes naturally without being forced. Humanz could have been better but meh, none of it was actually bad. He's doing what he wants and I see him as enough of a role model to take interest in whatever it is he releases.
TracyJosh

Postby metalhipslop » 09 Dec 2017, 02:42

TracyJosh wrote:I see your point, but as much as you may feel Damon needs some form of a managing figure to push him to write commercially successful music that challenges the best bits of his back catalogue, I don't think he wants that or is a hungry for it anymore. He's content and quite secure in his older age just doing whatever comes naturally without being forced. Humanz could have been better but meh, none of it was actually bad. He's doing what he wants and I see him as enough of a role model to take interest in whatever it is he releases.

spot on..
some of his ideas are odd and he even admitted to it.. like taking himself out of a lot of the songs from Humanz... Carnival 2D special for example.. like that bit was a great bit of songwriting.. it adds so much to the song, not even just the vocals but the dynamics of the sounds of that is way better than the Humanz version. There is a reason why they went with that version when they play it live.
I still think Humanz is an amazing album... A masterpiece? No. Plastic Beach was a masterpiece. but musically Humanz might be a masterpiece... but in a different way.. I just think Plastic Beach was the best presented Gorillaz album. and Damon's top best albums.. there was no David Balfe there... god damn.. such a stupid topic.. but I guess it keeps us talking
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.
metalhipslop

Postby damon008 » 09 Dec 2017, 11:58

metalhipslop wrote:.. god damn.. such a stupid topic.. but I guess it keeps us talking

:cry:

Postby aldamasta » 09 Dec 2017, 19:30

This is daft to me. Think about post-Balfe works, when he really never had a record company bossing him around again: Blur, 13, Gorillaz, Mali Music, Think Tank, Demon Days, GBQ, Plastic Beach. etc. Balfe played a large and important role in early blur, but such a presence has never been necessary (perhaps it could be helpful or interesting, at least) for any members of blur since IMO.
aldamasta

Postby MrMagpie » 11 Dec 2017, 14:10

Balfe was good for Damon/Blur in his time, when they were young, hungry, and inexperienced...and even then, Damon's massive ego and self-belief caused him to clash with Balfe to the point that he (Balfe) grew exasperated, sold Food records, and quit the business! I can't, in ANY way, shape, or form, see a 50 year old Damon with as much success as he's had, listening to someone like that ever again.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem
MrMagpie

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 13 Dec 2017, 07:33

You're right. Damon will be his own boss - at this stage in his career, the singles chart will interest him little.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2017, 02:55

What such injustice that we never got a landfill indie band circa 2003 writing a "Pressure on Damon"

https://rateyourmusic.com/~chemical_think_tank
AdvertBreak

Postby TristramShandy » 21 Mar 2018, 12:58

It's pretty well analysed in 3862 Days how Balfe wanted to pull the Leisure sessions towards a more baggy sound, despite the band's will to have a more "Barretty" sound. They ended with four different producers on the album, and we all know how much it lacks consistency... So I disagree, Balfe did harm the band on their debut album.
TristramShandy

Postby damon008 » 22 Mar 2018, 05:08

dear mr thanks for a reply. i have to state my original sentiments tho. my point being balfe was at least a chalenge for damon that made him think more and even motorvate him. i admit it needed5 to be a balance of power because yes i agree too much balfe would chsnge the sound of blur

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 22 Mar 2018, 07:59

TristramShandy wrote:Balfe wanted to pull the Leisure sessions towards a more baggy sound, despite the band's will to have a more "Barretty" sound.

Indeed, the prevailing sound of the album was 'baggy' and 'Barrett'. And it worked at the time :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Next

Return to Blur