fools day - blur best song as 4 men since 1999

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

damon008

fools day - blur best song as 4 men since 1999

Post by damon008 » 08 Nov 2017, 22:38

imho its blurs best song toget5her since 13
its certainly the closest to blur spirit including anything on magic whip which i generaly like

i could listen to grahams ending all day all night

tom_cas1

Re: fools day - blur best song as 4 men since 1999

Post by tom_cas1 » 08 Nov 2017, 23:11

I love it and think it's extremely underrated, but their best song since 13? Nah.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Nov 2017, 12:31

As a traditional blur song where they all put in the same amount of effort.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 09 Nov 2017, 21:06

Think you are over-rating it a bit, but fantastic song.

Always sounds fresh when I listen to it and as you say Graham’s guitars at the end are brilliant. Definitely under-appreciated.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 10 Nov 2017, 00:29

Agree it's underrated. One of Graham's finest solos. I feel retrospectively the way it was released as a record store day one off was a massive waste. I guess they just didn't want to make a fuss at all as there was no album on the horizon then. If it actually had a proper chorus it could have possibly been one of their best singles ever.

Not the best 4 piece song since 13 and not better than all of TMW, but in an alternative reality it would have been a more impactful lead single than Go Out if it was part of TMW sessions.

damon008

Post by damon008 » 10 Nov 2017, 14:39

thankyou. all comments made me think quite a bit tbh and yes steven your right of course, its blur at there 4 parts. but why cant fools day be there best song.... so far no one sugested a better song? food for thought

imho it would sit perfect as track 2 on magic whip. its kinda like a journey song as graham once4 said. like coffee and tv chugging along. %

damon008

Post by damon008 » 10 Nov 2017, 14:41

just think of it
lonesome street finishes straight into fool dayn keeps momentum pumping. i love new world rowers so in such scenario i can put that somewhere else

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 11 Nov 2017, 05:22

TracyJosh wrote:Agree it's underrated. One of Graham's finest solos. I feel retrospectively the way it was released as a record store day one off was a massive waste. I guess they just didn't want to make a fuss at all as there was no album on the horizon then. If it actually had a proper chorus it could have possibly been one of their best singles ever.

Not the best 4 piece song since 13 and not better than all of TMW, but in an alternative reality it would have been a more impactful lead single than Go Out if it was part of TMW sessions.
I like the structure and even chuggy sort of sound to the rhythm. It literally sounds like the feeling of waking up and getting through the morning, things to do, just doing task by task... going through the motions and accepting a normal life. It really does it well.

A record from this era with a sound and lyrical theme like Fool's Day and Under The Westway would have been amazing, seriously would have catapulted them with the comeback and started a third obvious era where they accept their middle ages and different lifestyles. There is a beauty and low key wiseness to enjoying routine, and the environment around you, and both of those songs are quite joyous in that acceptance. An album of Damon singing about London and the sky and trees would have been beautiful. His daughter going into adolescence, it would have been a great album about that time of life and it would have resonated. Fresh sounding instrumentals with some 'normal' sounding instruments but generally a bit of classic Blur experimentation in the form of off-key guitar mashin' and great pop melodies and structures.

Would have been a great career arc and I would have been happy to see them end it like that and there.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 11 Nov 2017, 16:05

Fool's Day is the only song since 13 that I think resembles prime Blur. There have been better songs, but as others have alluded to, the load seems to have been shared diplomatically between all group members here. Plus Graham is actually allowed to let loose on this one, his guitar solo is gorgeous.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 11 Nov 2017, 17:17

Agreed the best Blur song in years, even better to let the solo play longer at the end...no early fade! :D

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Nov 2017, 15:34

I adore Fool's Day. It's a really interesting thought, the idea of making an album around the time of Fool's Day. And I agree with everyone here that the solo is just sublime. What a way to end it!

I'm curious. For those of you who listened to Fool's Day when it first came out, what was your reaction like? How was the general reception? It was an instant like for me, so I'm curious how it was for people on initial release.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Nov 2017, 02:27

aldamasta wrote:I adore Fool's Day. It's a really interesting thought, the idea of making an album around the time of Fool's Day. And I agree with everyone here that the solo is just sublime. What a way to end it!

I'm curious. For those of you who listened to Fool's Day when it first came out, what was your reaction like? How was the general reception? It was an instant like for me, so I'm curious how it was for people on initial release.

What was my initial reaction to "Fool's Day"? I recorded on my cell from the radio premiere (in such horrible quality) and I even played that nonstop for the next day! I just loved it BEYOND anything else at the time and I was hoping Blur would promote it more... Even go on Jools Holland and perform it live.... But for some odd reason it seems the entire band just dismissed it....

It's better than "UTW" and "The Puritan", but isn't better though than most tracks off of "TMW" and everyone on here how should know by now how obsessed I am with that entire c.d. and IE w/"Lonesome Street" alone! But "Fool's Day" is so underrated and they have to perform it live the next time they unite together. Such a shame it hasn't gotten the attention it so much deserves!

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 15 Nov 2017, 20:50

Blurs best work always has a sense of the seasons about them. I think of Autumn when I hear Beetlebum, I think of muggy summer heat in a forest when hearing Wood Pigeon. Fools Day has obvious references to Spring, but even without the words, you could imagine a crisp blue sky and a sharp refreshing wind. Possibly due to beans.

Looking back, Parklife reminds me of that last summer you had with your mates before going to uni/a new job/new town, just getting the most out of the good weather because Britain isn't known for it's tropical heat. We're almost a different species /country during the hot months.

The Great Escape is hermetically sealed, there's no traveling or sunshine, it's just grim. Even the songs that talk about the countryside, sound like an office bound worker's fantasy of the countryside.
NOT for the likes of you. Image

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Nov 2017, 23:41

saltandgin wrote:Blurs best work always has a sense of the seasons about them. I think of Autumn when I hear Beetlebum, I think of muggy summer heat in a forest when hearing Wood Pigeon. Fools Day has obvious references to Spring, but even without the words, you could imagine a crisp blue sky and a sharp refreshing wind. Possibly due to beans.

Looking back, Parklife reminds me of that last summer you had with your mates before going to uni/a new job/new town, just getting the most out of the good weather because Britain isn't known for it's tropical heat. We're almost a different species /country during the hot months.

The Great Escape is hermetically sealed, there's no traveling or sunshine, it's just grim. Even the songs that talk about the countryside, sound like an office bound worker's fantasy of the countryside.

Great observation! "TMW" to me evokes the summer, but that's mainly due to my June of 2015 London visit when I saw Blur at Hyde Park because that essentially served as my trip's soundtrack... "Fool's Day" to me is winter transitioning into spring.... "Parklife" and "Blur" have that summer feel to it, "13" maybe since it's dark, that late autumn/early winter vibe to it.... However, "Optigan 9" has that early spring fog allure to it.....

stephen

Post by stephen » 16 Nov 2017, 09:20

saltandgin think you hit the nail on the head with your observations.

Song 2 is a summer song though, maybe the rest of the album is autumnal.

I would say TMW is an autumn album as well.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good