GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by metalhipslop » 07 Jun 2018, 17:12

Great little tune
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

rich

Post by rich » 07 Jun 2018, 18:19

good stuff so far but can't help thinking he's mislaid his box of choruses again....

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 07 Jun 2018, 20:26

It’s an ok enough tune, not disappointed by the production yet, but this was my least favourite of the live tracks so didn’t expect to be swayed by it. I would imagine it will have a place in the context of the album tho, just wish they had released one of the other songs instead, like Magic City :(

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 07 Jun 2018, 21:37

For some reason the groove and even the vocals of Sorcererz a litle bit remind me of this amazing tune from the 90s :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_O6BWniZwY

But then, every time my four year old sings Let It Go, from Frozen, there's a part where I automatically morph it in Girl From Mars by Ash, so possibly just bad brain wiring...

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 07 Jun 2018, 21:40

jeffnottingham wrote:For some reason the groove and even the vocals of Sorcererz a litle bit remind me of this amazing tune from the 90s :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_O6BWniZwY

But then, every time my four year old sings Let It Go, from Frozen, there's a part where I automatically morph it in Girl From Mars by Ash, so possibly just bad brain wiring...

Just realised Freak Power was Norman Cook - I didn't know! So there is a Damon connection.... ha ha

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 08 Jun 2018, 12:49

rich wrote:good stuff so far but can't help thinking he's mislaid his box of choruses again....
Correct, the joy of rap not plastered everywhere has now to led to your point, will Damon ever make a decent chorus EVER again?

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 08 Jun 2018, 13:17

Sledge Hammer wrote:
rich wrote:good stuff so far but can't help thinking he's mislaid his box of choruses again....
Correct, the joy of rap not plastered everywhere has now to led to your point, will Damon ever make a decent chorus EVER again?
Let's not forget this is a criticism Damon has faced virtually his whole career. As early as 1992, Melody Maker labeled Blur's new single Popscene ‘a directionless organ-fest in search of a decent chorus.’

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 08 Jun 2018, 13:29

I can't help thinking that the lack of choruses in latter years is a problem borne of writing alone. There's something contradictory about a great chorus; it fits with the song but it snaps away from what came before in some subtle and magical way. It might just be the use of an unconventional chord or a surprising key change, but often those things are arrived at by accident, during improvisation and collaboration. They don't come as naturally when it's just you - when you're mapping everything out by sliding a barre chord up and down a four string acoustic, you run a risk of not finding those weird magic surprises. (I know Damon has many varied and creative ways of working, but just using that as a hypothetical example).

I also think Damon's thing these days is v much automatic writing. Which is largely singing over a groove and seeing what you get. Grooves never deliver great choruses in the way that chord progressions do.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 08 Jun 2018, 13:31

Styopa wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:
Let's not forget this is a criticism Damon has faced virtually his whole career. As early as 1992, Melody Maker labeled Blur's new single Popscene ‘a directionless organ-fest in search of a decent chorus.’
Yup probably the worst review ever...Popscene is amazing, "Popscene!" is the chorus..

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 08 Jun 2018, 15:25

Styopa wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:
Sorry folks but I have to say that I completely agree with that review! I've never liked Popscene.
I understand its significance and I (kind of) understand its appeal as a shouty, punky, energetic thing (with arguably good or, at least, interesting lyrics) that signified a change of direction for the band. But the chorus melody really is rubbish. Ever found yourself whistling it?

stephen

Post by stephen » 08 Jun 2018, 15:39

I associate chorus's with pop music. I don't think that a song has to have a good chorus.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 08 Jun 2018, 16:39

stephen wrote:I associate chorus's with pop music. I don't think that a song has to have a good chorus.
Indie snob alert! Blur are a pop group. Damon loves pop music.
I know what you mean, though. A great song does indeed not have to have a chorus as such, or at least an obvious/conventional one. 'Sing' might be my favourite Blur song and it's not very chorusy.
I just think the music to Popscene is a bit rubbish, generally, and the brass is just plain irritating. As mentioned, I do understand the song's appeal though (kind of) - the energy, the shoutiness etc.
Anyway, we've drifted off topic.
I'm encouraged by what I've heard about Now Now. I didn't bother buying Humans but may well shell out for this one.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 09 Jun 2018, 00:26

I got Sorcererz stuck in my head all day long. Such a catchy and groovy tune. I just wish the verses were a bit longer.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 09 Jun 2018, 02:17

Rubi wrote:I got Sorcererz stuck in my head all day long. Such a catchy and groovy tune. I just wish the verses were a bit longer.
Yeah, it's a got a unique structure that's for sure. I love it, but you can't help but want another verse.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sledge Hammer

Popscene

Post by Sledge Hammer » 09 Jun 2018, 13:49

Popscene rubbish?!!? brass irritaing? guess we all have different tastes, but that is crazy....the instrumental break with the brass and Graham is amazing, and I still love the whole thing to this day, the soundtrack to going out in the 90s...