GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1444
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by aldamasta » 05 Jun 2018, 16:16

Even though we've only just heard these tracks, and just live versions at that, my favorites are constantly changing. Souk Eye is gorgeous. Has a very cool Latin Vibe to it, which yet again gives some vibes similar to the self titled album. Love it!

Also, Damon's songs tend to be so good live, whether they be Gorillaz, solo, GBQ, blur, but I have few fears about the production. The new Arctic Monkeys album sounds great, production-wise, and Humility and Lake Zurich sound great too. James Ford has earned my trust!

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1847
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by Rubi » 05 Jun 2018, 17:54

Guys, with these comments you're setting my expectations very high. I hope the album turns out as good as you're making it out to be.

User avatar
bugman
Posts: 952
Joined: 23 Sep 2014, 20:21

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by bugman » 05 Jun 2018, 18:01

aldamasta wrote:Even though we've only just heard these tracks, and just live versions at that, my favorites are constantly changing. Souk Eye is gorgeous. Has a very cool Latin Vibe to it, which yet again gives some vibes similar to the self titled album. Love it!

Also, Damon's songs tend to be so good live, whether they be Gorillaz, solo, GBQ, blur, but I have few fears about the production. The new Arctic Monkeys album sounds great, production-wise, and Humility and Lake Zurich sound great too. James Ford has earned my trust!
absolutly agreed. new AM album is great!

Daysleeper
Posts: 213
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 15:45

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by Daysleeper » 05 Jun 2018, 19:49

stephen wrote:It's starting to sound like a solo album :lol: :lol:
Hope it is a lot better than his actual solo album! Excited about this though, couldn’t muster any excitement for Humanz and still haven’t listened to it in full.

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by Forever Low Man » 06 Jun 2018, 00:49

AdvertBreak wrote:The new tracks are good

But if I have a reservation I kinda wish Damon would knock off the telephone voice thing.
we need more
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

JAIME
Posts: 2201
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:12
Location: Villa Alemana & Santiago, CHILE

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by JAIME » 06 Jun 2018, 03:59

Magic City is my favourite new song, it's fantastic!
Loved the live version of Lake Zurich too, great tune!
Image

northernmonkey
Posts: 275
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:59

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by northernmonkey » 06 Jun 2018, 10:26

Forever Low Man wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:The new tracks are good

But if I have a reservation I kinda wish Damon would knock off the telephone voice thing.
we need more
I actually like how he goes between this and normal vocals on the new songs, give the songs more emotion and depth.

User avatar
munch
Posts: 1190
Joined: 24 Sep 2014, 12:14

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by munch » 06 Jun 2018, 22:12

JAIME wrote:Magic City is my favourite new song, it's fantastic!
Loved the live version of Lake Zurich too, great tune!
only listened to magic city so far of the lives. it is so good. sounds like tgtbtq. Also sounds a bit bowie..
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
Image
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

metalhipslop
Posts: 803
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 02:13
Location: The Great White North

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by metalhipslop » 06 Jun 2018, 22:30

northernmonkey wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:The new tracks are good

But if I have a reservation I kinda wish Damon would knock off the telephone voice thing.
we need more
I actually like how he goes between this and normal vocals on the new songs, give the songs more emotion and depth.
Magic City is a perfect example of this
very very Bowie that song (bass/instrumental is very Berlin trilogy era).. and tbtqb (maybe a hint of what tgtbq2 will sound like) like said and of course blur... just classic Damon.. if you love him, you will love this song.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1444
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by aldamasta » 07 Jun 2018, 04:12

metalhipslop wrote: just classic Damon.. if you love him, you will love this song.
Agreed completely. This album seems to be shaping up to be what many fans have been wanting since TMW. Is it too early for me to say this is one of Damon's most pop records in years? Based on the tracks we've heard, live or otherwise, The Now Now is sounding like some classic Damon pop. I'm SO eager to hear the record in full (in 22 days!)

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1547
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 07 Jun 2018, 12:48

aldamasta wrote: (in 22 days!)
Damn it I want it NOW! :)
Image

User avatar
daii
Posts: 518
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 12:33
Location: Argentina

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by daii » 07 Jun 2018, 16:13


User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1444
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by aldamasta » 07 Jun 2018, 16:23

I really love Sorcererz... man this album is so groovy! Junior Dan plays bass on this track. It's great to have him back! The bass is great. I can't stop comparing The Now Now to the self-titled album in certain ways. Junior Dan is back (on Sorcererz, at least) and Damon's voice reminds me a lot of his original "2D voice" or whatever you wanna call it. Reminds me of the way he sang Clint Eastwood, a bit anyway.

I notice that James Ford does the drums in this track (among a variety of other instruments). The drums are great in this tune, I'm really digging James Ford's production overall so far. It sounds so crisp and new while keeping a sort of 80s and/or 70s vibe. I can't wait to hear more... speaking of, I assume we'll be getting a new track/visualizer on each Thursday leading up to The Now Now?

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7710
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Jun 2018, 16:43

Sorcererz is ok, I imagine it'll be a decent filler track. Nothing that great stands out from it but it's not unpleasant to listen to. Humility is still the benchmark for me which is a superb track.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1547
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 07 Jun 2018, 17:00

tom_cas1 wrote:Sorcererz is ok, I imagine it'll be a decent filler track. Nothing that great stands out from it but it's not unpleasant to listen to.
Same. Well, I only listened to about a minute of it, but i got the same feeling. I'm trying not to listen to samples or the live versions of the songs but it's hard. I really don't want to hear the live versions, because I remember doing that with TGTBTQ and really liking the live stuff and then being really displeased with the studio versions.
Image

Post Reply