Did The Magic Whip give you closure?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Forever Low Man

Re: Did The Magic Whip give you closure?

Post by Forever Low Man » 05 Oct 2017, 18:50

cleverNever wrote:I dunno, I see all sides I suppose. You're probably more protective over your favourite band than they were over their legacy. Recent years has seen blurs worst songs
The Puritan
Lonesome Street
Go Out
Ong ong
And a few others off TMW

although, I do like a many others from the album, there are parts that make me cringe, lazy lyrics, pointless duet harmonies. The teller for me is, when I recently watched the gig where they played TMW in its entirety then finished with Trouble in the Message Centre, the quality, inventiveness and energy between the new album and TITMC could not be further apart.

TMW certainly hasn't destroyed the legacy, but I fear another release could as Damons heart is clearly not in blur.
did you join the forum just to complain about magic whip?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

cleverNever

Post by cleverNever » 05 Oct 2017, 18:56

No,did you post to attack me cause you're ignorant to new users?

munch

Post by munch » 05 Oct 2017, 21:26

Go Out and There are too many of us make Magic Whip stand along side the best of their albums. As time has gone by there are certain songs i have less interest in 'new world towers, ong ong, pyongyang, terracotta heart' but overall it's aa pretty good album! To me. If it is their last one for a long time I will be ok. Mainly because where Think Tank left on a depressing note (but still amazing) Magic Whip left on a kind of neutral note.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Oct 2017, 06:18

munch wrote: Magic Whip left on a kind of neutral note.
Yes.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

cleverNever

Post by cleverNever » 06 Oct 2017, 06:20

'new world towers, pyongyang, terracotta heart are probably my favourites tbh.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 06 Oct 2017, 14:19

New World Towers was initially, and has maintained its position, of my least favorite song from TMW.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Oct 2017, 00:12

For me the weakest songs on The Magic Whip are the most Damon solo album sounding songs, New World Towers and My Terracotta Heart. That said, they're still great. I can't really fault a single song on the album and in a live setting they are incredible. I'll never forget the feeling of hearing Lonesome Street at MODE in London. I went to the show with high expectations given how much I loved Go Out. I hoped the rest of the album would live up to it. Well, it did. Still a great album. A solid 8/10 for me.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 07 Oct 2017, 12:54

Good topic this.

I really hope it isn't the last album, but if it is, it is a much better finale than Think Tank. I think a few songs aside, Think Tank has aged terribly.

The only real issue I have with the Magic whip is as many have said, they played it a bit safe oh and the poor production of Pyongyang.

That said I really like it and think it holds up against some of their better work in the 90s, if not quite up there with 13. I think Go out, There are too many of us and Thought I was a spaceman are excellent tracks. A bit more experimentation would have been good as that is part of the appeal of Blur, but its a solid effort.