Humanz - predict chart position and UK/international sales

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Re: Humanz - predict chart position and UK/international sal

Post by Mark72 » 12 May 2017, 18:07

I wonder what the execs at Warner Bros are thinking?! I'm very puzzled by it all.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 12 May 2017, 18:29

An act's or singer's laziness makes no real difference to an album's chart position. You could go on tour, do in-store signings, radio interviews, put posters up everywhere, and the difference it makes would be negligible. As I've explained on this thread, it's 95% to do with radio airplay.
The biggest mistake Gorillaz made was not choosing one clear single with a good chance of airplay to promote the album.
Blondie haven't had a top 30 album all century and suddenly they're number 4. Why? They released two singles before the album came out, a few months apart, and both were big airplay hits. The floating voter knew there were two really good songs on the album. If they'd relied on the core Blondie fan-base, it would have again struggled to go top 30.
The only thing Gorillaz can do now is release the next catchiest song as a proper single in a month or so. However, a few reviews mentioned that there was a lack of 'memorable hooks' on the album, so perhaps there just isn't anything catchy or melodic enough on there.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 12 May 2017, 22:02

I agree that the single thing was a huge mistake, and Damon has to be blamed for that. He should also be blamed for going into the studio with another band just a week or two after a new album drops, stopping all TV shows, radio interviews and the like in the process. Forgive me, but when an album comes out you keep promoting it. You don't just stop all together and then jump into the studio with another band. What the hell is he doing?

There's no clear promotion for this album which is really annoying because it is EXCELLENT. But at this rate it's going to die a death and in a few weeks people won't even remember that Gorillaz released a new album. And that's on Damon.

I get that he likes to have a lot on the go but perhaps he should sit down, shut up, and just focus on one thing for a extended period of time.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 13 May 2017, 06:01

Neal Zeal wrote:An act's or singer's laziness makes no real difference to an album's chart position. You could go on tour, do in-store signings, radio interviews, put posters up everywhere, and the difference it makes would be negligible. As I've explained on this thread, it's 95% to do with radio airplay.
The biggest mistake Gorillaz made was not choosing one clear single with a good chance of airplay to promote the album.
Blondie haven't had a top 30 album all century and suddenly they're number 4. Why? They released two singles before the album came out, a few months apart, and both were big airplay hits. The floating voter knew there were two really good songs on the album. If they'd relied on the core Blondie fan-base, it would have again struggled to go top 30.
The only thing Gorillaz can do now is release the next catchiest song as a proper single in a month or so. However, a few reviews mentioned that there was a lack of 'memorable hooks' on the album, so perhaps there just isn't anything catchy or melodic enough on there.
Simple there is no single, you lot who think the album is "amazing" are deluded, there is nothing near a Dare, Feel Good Inc, 19-2000 or Clint Eastwood...nothing comes close.

The record company had nothing to work with, cant get airplay with mostly unlistenable c(rap).

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 13 May 2017, 08:49

Some very exciting news.
I've just seen the latest global album chart.
Humanz is (drum roll!) .... number 1!
The biggest selling album on the planet.
Here's the top 10 with weekly sales:

1. Humanz - 260,000
2. Kendrick Lamar - 236,000
3. Ed Sheeran, Divide - 197,000
4. Yuzu Iroha - 181,000
5. Drake - More life - 99,000
6. Guardians of the Galaxy (soundtrack) - 97,000
7. Mary Bilge - 81,000
8. The Chainsmokers - 71,000
9. Bruno Mars - 63,000
10. Moana (soundtrack) - 56,000

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 13 May 2017, 13:13

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Simple there is no single, you lot who think the album is "amazing" are deluded, there is nothing near a Dare, Feel Good Inc, 19-2000 or Clint Eastwood...nothing comes close.

The record company had nothing to work with, cant get airplay with mostly unlistenable c(rap).
And yet world wide it is doing fine. More than double the sales that the Magic Whip had in its first week http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week20-2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; To put it into perspective that is more than the Magic Whip made in its first month in sales. Amazingly it even slightly outperformed the Plastic Beach's first week sales.

It should also be remembered that a good portion of these were the deluxe version of the album. Financially this album should easily make more money than the Magic Whip did.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 May 2017, 14:33

That is very exciting news! Well, if they couldn't get to #1 in the UK or US, I guess I'll settle for #1 in the world ;) 260,000 is a really good number, right? Seems like Humanz is almost universally more commercially and critically successful than PB thus far. Or, at least, is on track to be.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 13 May 2017, 14:42

Sledge Hammer wrote:c(rap)
and you wonder why we don't take you seriously
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tender

Post by tender » 13 May 2017, 15:34

idreamofpikas wrote:
And yet world wide it is doing fine. More than double the sales that the Magic Whip had in its first week http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week20-2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; To put it into perspective that is more than the Magic Whip made in its first month in sales. Amazingly it even slightly outperformed the Plastic Beach's first week sales.

It should also be remembered that a good portion of these were the deluxe version of the album. Financially this album should easily make more money than the Magic Whip did.
Humanz will likely make more money than The Magic Whip but it also probably costs more , to tour and promote but in contrast The Magic Whip did get to No. 1 in the Uk with little promo in comparison to Humanz ( promo being the apps, the sponsored shows, etc)

According to Parlophone chief , they released 4 singles to show the diversity of the album but as many have pointed it´s the no radio play what is missing.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 15 May 2017, 20:08

tom_cas1 wrote:Yeah that sucks ass, I blame Damon'a blatant laziness when it comes to promotion. Where is he now? Writing a new TGTB&TQ album. As much as I want a new album from them surely it can wait a month or so? Lazy. Pathetic.
I think you're being a bit too harsh on Damon. The point of Gorillaz lies exactly in the fact that Damon could play one of the least roles in the promotion - just do the TV live performances and a couple of interviews - and that's it! The main focus lies on those characters that are associated with the band and I think it is a big misstep on the part of the label/Jamie or whoever works on that - those characters were not used heavily enough! Yes, it is pretty cool that 2D and Murdoc appeared on a couple of sites over the week, but the promotion could have been so much better! We have seen some seeds of it - like the "Gorillaz" curated playlists and some articles that involve Noodle, something along those lines. Modern technology and social networks are at their peak for the overall concept of the virtual band - but right now everyone involved is losing a huge opportunity to capitalize on that momentum, IMO.

In other words, the sooner new TGTB&TQ record comes, the better :lol:
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 15 May 2017, 20:38

It's the music videos, guys! When it comes to Gorillaz there's no better promotion than music videos. Saturnz Barz alone wasn't enough. We should have had another single (Andromeda) accompanied by a video before the album was released. Simple as.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 May 2017, 00:35

I like to think more singles will be released at the start of the tour and then through it. Surely they wouldn't be so stupid as to not do that?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 16 May 2017, 17:00

Gorillaz Humanz drops to number 9 in billboard chart
http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 May 2017, 20:12

Predictable with the lack of promotion since the release date. That's what happens when Damon would prefer to record another album than promote the one he just released.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 16 May 2017, 20:45

tom_cas1 wrote:Predictable with the lack of promotion since the release date. That's what happens when Damon would prefer to record another album than promote the one he just released.
You're starting to sound like a broken record. :lol: