TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Nov 2018, 22:46

'Gun To The Head' is emerging as my favourite track. I like the folky, Elizabethan feel to it.

The album seems no better or worse than anything else the 'Blur family' have done in the last decade or so.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 Dec 2018, 05:30

thespider wrote:Sorry if I sound like a naysayer, but could someone tell me a song on Merrie Land that they rate as highly as anything on GBQ's debut?

I really want to like, I'm such a huge fan of Blur and Albarn but I'm actually hating this album. :(
Lady Boston. Ribbons. The Great Fire. The Poison Tree. Nineteen Seventeen. I could go on. It's an excellent album. 9/10.

Why do you hate it?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 01 Dec 2018, 07:19

aldamasta wrote:Wasn't it supposed to be four bonus tracks, or am I remembering incorrectly? Maybe those come out later?
Two + instrumental versions:

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - St. George And The Blackbird (Instrumental)
The Good, The Bad & The Queen - The Imperial (Instrumental)

thespider

Post by thespider » 01 Dec 2018, 13:13

tom_cas1 wrote: Why do you hate it?
I just can't find a decent tune in almost all of it. It feels like Damon has gone for this really dainty, meandering and twee sound but the songs don't have strong enough melodies to pull it off. I still listen to the first GBQ album quite regularly but I'm really disappointed with this. I've given it another four or five listens in the past day or so, "Ribbons" is only song I'd actively wanna listen to again.

That said, I seem to be in the minority on this forum! So if other people are enjoying it, that's great. :)

Petter

Post by Petter » 01 Dec 2018, 18:14

Paul Simonon's bass guitar on the title track is only one of many hundred reasons why this record is so briliant.

Masterpiece.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 02 Dec 2018, 01:36

Just over two weeks on and I am finding more to love with each listen, as a band they are really in touch with each other musically, the 10 songs are all very different and now i’d struggle to put them in order of strongest to weakest, they all give me something different. Although the whole Brexit thing is a mine field whatever camp you occupy, this paints such a good story of past glories and the worries of what may come, although the songs certainly are not some Brexit lecture, just beautiful songs that could be taken to mean something completely different if approached without knowing.

Do I think it is better or worse than the self titled album? I get something completely different from both, this is certainly a tighter, better produced album but I really enjoy the loose, sort of jam of the first album and both have the beautiful story telling that Damon does so well when he writes about the these isles.

I would so love for Blur to return to the studio and bounce off each other after hearing the way this was recorded, I always feel TMW is something special with Graham’s touching input and work, but other than what came naturally in the 5 days in Hong Kong, the process from the other 3 comes across as a bit tagged on, despite it being a great album. I could be wrong, but NWT doc didn’t show anything really other than Graham’s contribution.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Dec 2018, 01:57

I agree, NM. The songs are certainly no Brexit lecture although based on interviews leading up to the release, that's how the album was portrayed. Maybe management thought that would be a good way to sell albums? No idea, but dumb as hell. This album is an extension of the debut in regards to the feel and the message towards England. A beautiful album.

I'm blown away by the songs every time I listen to them. A solid 9/10 for me right now with the potential of it becoming 10/10 in the near future. Damon's finest album in a over a decade.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 02 Dec 2018, 09:23

I think despite Damon’s thoughts on the Brexit decision, his love of Britain and a sense of national pride still show through. It is more of a story of what may be, similar to that of Humanz (comparison ends there) but as many of the reviews have said this album has come at such a relevant time. As mentioned by Tom this is a perfect extension to the debut album and think the album is one of Damon’s most complete albums of his career.

Renny

Post by Renny » 02 Dec 2018, 10:48

Frankly I believe this to be the masterpiece. The only downside is it's a bit short.I'm really excited about seeing them on Wednesday.

bugman

Post by bugman » 02 Dec 2018, 11:13

tom_cas1 wrote:I agree, NM. The songs are certainly no Brexit lecture although based on interviews leading up to the release, that's how the album was portrayed. Maybe management thought that would be a good way to sell albums? No idea, but dumb as hell. This album is an extension of the debut in regards to the feel and the message towards England. A beautiful album.

I'm blown away by the songs every time I listen to them. A solid 9/10 for me right now with the potential of it becoming 10/10 in the near future. Damon's finest album in a over a decade.
tom, checked your box. i sent to u something

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 02 Dec 2018, 13:27

thespider wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote: Why do you hate it?
I just can't find a decent tune in almost all of it. It feels like Damon has gone for this really dainty, meandering and twee sound but the songs don't have strong enough melodies to pull it off. I still listen to the first GBQ album quite regularly but I'm really disappointed with this. I've given it another four or five listens in the past day or so, "Ribbons" is only song I'd actively wanna listen to again.

That said, I seem to be in the minority on this forum! So if other people are enjoying it, that's great. :)
Fully agree with what you've said.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 02 Dec 2018, 19:15

tom_cas1 wrote:I agree, NM. The songs are certainly no Brexit lecture although based on interviews leading up to the release, that's how the album was portrayed. Maybe management thought that would be a good way to sell albums? No idea, but dumb as hell. This album is an extension of the debut in regards to the feel and the message towards England. A beautiful album.
I've read this post 3 or 4 times and am still a bit confused - I can only assume you mean that the tone of the message isn't overtly preachy? I hope I'm not misrepresenting you there?

I think plenty of the interviews and promotions spoke about Damon travelling across the UK and that this was his interpretation/portrayal about the current mood/scenario of how disjointed we are at present and that's exactly what comes across in the album.

I think it would have been "dumb as hell" to have Paul Simonen and Damon Albarn collaborating and implying they weren't saying anything meaningful, but maybe that's just me as you and I clearly have opposing political views.
northernmonkey wrote:I think despite Damon’s thoughts on the Brexit decision, his love of Britain and a sense of national pride still show through. It is more of a story of what may be, similar to that of Humanz (comparison ends there) but as many of the reviews have said this album has come at such a relevant time. As mentioned by Tom this is a perfect extension to the debut album and think the album is one of Damon’s most complete albums of his career.
I think it's perfectly possible to love Britain and to be against Brexit. I'm not sure why there is an assumption otherwise.

On a perhaps more significant note, it's telling that this album has fans spanning the political divide when the theme of the album is so delicately entwined in this topic.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Dec 2018, 19:38

Yes, not preachy which was what I was worried about after the initial reports that Damon had written about Brexit. I was dreading that he'd gone full Bono on us. :lol:

bugman - got it! ;)

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 02 Dec 2018, 19:59

tom_cas1 wrote:Yes, not preachy which was what I was worried about after the initial reports that Damon had written about Brexit. I was dreading that he'd gone full Bono on us. :lol:

bugman - got it! ;)
Thanks for clarifying

rich

Post by rich » 02 Dec 2018, 20:27

It's a shame it's dogs and not goats :(

When I first heard Gun To The Head - on Jules - I thought Damon sang 'owners of rowdy goats'...
Now I know it's dogs... :roll:

Rowdy goats would have been so much better :)
but not historically accurate I guess...