TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by Neal Zeal » 19 Oct 2018, 12:22

daii wrote:
rich wrote:4 star review in MOJO today :) :)

"Lady Boston ... is up there with the most evocative attempts by British pop to interpret its locality: Penny Lane, Waterloo Sunset, Ghost Town, This Is England, Blur's This Is A Low."

High praise indeed...
that's exciting. ;) i can't remember the ratings for humanz and everyday robots but i believe MOJO reviews are quite austere. so, it's a good thing!
I think Mojo gave both the recent Gorillaz albums 4 stars. I've a feeling it might be illegal for journalists to give anything that Damon ever does fewer than 4 stars!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 19 Oct 2018, 13:10

Neal Zeal wrote:I think Mojo gave both the recent Gorillaz albums 4 stars. I've a feeling it might be illegal for journalists to give anything that Damon ever does fewer than 4 stars!
I've checked it now - both ER and Humanz got 4 stars, The Now Now got only 3.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Oct 2018, 13:37

Any ranking system is always going to be somewhat arbitrary, especially when only out of 5. Would largely agree though, based on ER, Humanz and TNN that taking a star off might act as an appropriate step! That said, I'm assuming an album would have to be pretty incredible/universally loved to get 5/5 in Mojo. i loved the first TGTBTQ album, but would imagine it's difficult for any reviewer to give that 5/5 and if ME is in the same vein a 4/5 review is just fine by me.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 19 Oct 2018, 14:10

To be honest, I have noticed in recent years that any publication that still tries to punt physical copies tends to review virtually everything pretty leniently. My theory is that it's probably because the industry is dying such a dire death, which extends to music magazines, so it's probably best to be as encouraging as possible to artists to try and breed interest in new music.

Although I partially dislike their grossly self righteous, stuck up attitude, pitchfork have been pretty spot on in recent years. Basically a 6.0 upward from them is a good indication something is strong. They gave The Now Now 6.8, Humanz 6.9 and TMW and ER both 7.0.

I think they tend to heap praise on originality above all else. 13 and Think Tank got 9.1 and 9.0.

bugman

Post by bugman » 19 Oct 2018, 16:41

"Lady Boston ... is up there with the most evocative attempts by British pop to interpret its locality: Penny Lane, Waterloo Sunset, Ghost Town, This Is England, Blur's This Is A Low."

High praise indeed...

erm, scan please!

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 19 Oct 2018, 16:49

4 stars sounds promising, but remember, MOJO had a feature on the band in their November's issue. I think that may have affected the score a bit. ;)

Can't believe it's out in 4 weeks!

rich

Post by rich » 19 Oct 2018, 17:40

bugman wrote:

High praise indeed...
erm, scan please!
should be coming soon via Argentina!

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 19 Oct 2018, 17:47

This is awesome. Roll on November!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 19 Oct 2018, 20:30

rich wrote:should be coming soon via Argentina!
via Poland and then Argentina haha
thanks again rich!

here you go! ----> TGTBTQ - Merrie Land album review + short interview with Damon and Paul, MOJO (12/2018)

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 20 Oct 2018, 11:12

rich wrote:The Great Fire
Nineteen Seventeen
Lady Boston
Drifters and Trawlers
The Poison Tree
The Truce of Twilight
Ribbons
Last Man To Leave
Merrie Land

9 out of 10 (+intro)

Mojo review sounds very promising!

Renny

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Renny » 20 Oct 2018, 12:01

I'm really excited about this. The first album was brilliant! Being very interested in the great war I'm wondering what the subject matter of nineteen seventeen will be....

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 20 Oct 2018, 16:20

This is all so incredibly exciting! And I am SO glad they’re playing on Jools! I’ve missed seeing Damon on there since gorillaz managed to skip it twice. If this album is as good as it seems it’s going to be, are we not THE most spoiled fan base ever? Can’t believe this album is coming out in what feels like the blink of an eye.

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 20 Oct 2018, 18:16

Can't believe it's coming out so soon after the Gorillaz tour finishes. Thought it would have been early next year.
Wouldn't be surprised if they announce some dates in the next week or so. Fingers crossed for somewhere like Dudley JBs again. That was amazing.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 20 Oct 2018, 18:36

I’m hoping that they’ll be touring well into next year, as I’m studying abroad in London beginning in February and would kill to see them playing an intimate gig there.

Also, any guesses as to how well this record may sell? The debut charted at #2, right? Wonder if this one will chart similarly.

bugman

Post by bugman » 20 Oct 2018, 18:50

im tihking about deluxe edition. maybe dvd with 1-2 bsides or maybe live tracks ?