TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jeffnottingham

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by jeffnottingham » 02 Jan 2019, 20:04

Got the album for Christmas on compact disc. A fixture in the car now and enjoying it more all the time. Damon’s output over the last few years has been getting better and better imho. If you take ML TNN and the 2D featuring Humanz songs and bsides, plus TMW, and most of the live versions from Everyday Robots, add UTW as a cherry on top, you’d be hard pushed to top it for songwriting nous, variety, and enduring listenability.

Also, first forum post of 2019 :) happy new year !!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 Feb 2019, 13:17

Predictably, the hype for the album (and band) has significantly dropped since it was released. Zero promotion, just announcements for shows. Just like post-Humanz and post-The Now Now. Same tactics used for this album yet Damon retains the same management. Despicable.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 02 Feb 2019, 07:45

tom_cas1 wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 13:17
Zero promotion, just announcements for shows.
They don't do even that... They put a bit of effort into promoting UK gigs but others are announced by venues and festivals, then info is shared by fan pages and some local websites and press - GBQ management limits its actions to adding events on facebook.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 02 Feb 2019, 14:31

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 08:07
aldamasta wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 01:31
dparrott wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 23:44
The Poison Tree would have made a great Blur song. Think of what Graham could have done with it!
Completely agree! While I love this album and band, and think that Merrie Land fits perfectly under TGTBTQ, it's hard not to imagine how good it would be as a blur album as well. I would kill for a blur album about London (or England in general) produced by Tony Visconti. Merrie Land has definitely added fuel to my hopes for a future blur record.

Given that e.g. Suede, Shed Seven, Black Grape, the Gallaghers (+ apparently Sleeper) have been in top form in recent times, is it too much to ask for a brand new, but good old fashioned, Blur album with the jauntiness of the Britpop period? :)
This sounds heaven! :D

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 02 Feb 2019, 16:05

tom_cas1 wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 13:17
Predictably, the hype for the album (and band) has significantly dropped since it was released. Zero promotion, just announcements for shows. Just like post-Humanz and post-The Now Now. Same tactics used for this album yet Damon retains the same management. Despicable.
Totally agree. If it wasn't for lumaka and this forum, I'd be totally out of the loop.

Though My tickets have arrived for the Palladium gig and the buzz is returning...
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 Feb 2019, 18:08

It seems like Damon is the only one who likes his management. Does he just not realize? Or just not care? I mean, none of us know the inner-workings of it all, but I think it's telling when every fan I know hates Eleven.

And I got my tickets in too, Mark72! Can't wait for the Palladium!! I also got my ticket for Liverpool - is anyone from the forum going to that gig? I can't remember.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 12 Feb 2019, 20:29

I have to say this is probably my favourite piece of work by Damon since 13. Love it!

Demon Days is obviously very good, but I always prefer the melancholy.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Feb 2019, 16:10

Merrie Land is such a damn good album. It has been a perfect soundtrack for my long walks around London.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 14 Feb 2019, 06:49

It has become my dog walking album of choice 😀 Damon back at the top of his game.

Vorsprung

Post by Vorsprung » 22 Feb 2019, 00:49

Hello all....it's been a while since I've contributed anything to this board, but I need to say that I've come to feel after numerous listenings that MERRIE LANDis just a SUPERB album.

Loved "Gun to the Head" when I first heard it as a single...was less enthused when I heard Merrie Land and the rest of the album upon first listen but slowly and surely when I wasn't playing attention and I let the rest of the album continue after "Gun to the Head" I started really getting into each track.

LOVE the ENTIRE ALBUM!

Congrats Damon and band.....brilliant!

and that's all I have to say.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 16 Mar 2019, 16:58

Not sure if this is allowed here, but can someone hook up a poor fan with HQ versions of Imperial and Blackbird? The YouTube quality is low.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 19 Mar 2019, 12:49

I would be very greatful too if somebody could provide a link to these songs other than Youtube, I would buy these songs but didn't really want to fork out for the edition which included these (went for digital download and hardback edition with CD) as payed out already for the more expensive TNN version from Damon last year, the wife would have hit the roof :(

John_d

Post by John_d » 15 Apr 2019, 15:05

aldamasta wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 18:08
It seems like Damon is the only one who likes his management. Does he just not realize? Or just not care? I mean, none of us know the inner-workings of it all, but I think it's telling when every fan I know hates Eleven.

And I got my tickets in too, Mark72! Can't wait for the Palladium!! I also got my ticket for Liverpool - is anyone from the forum going to that gig? I can't remember.
I saw in the live thread that you met Damon and Paul. Congrats. I think here we maybe need to make a distinction between mgmt and booking agent? Whoever has booked the Gorillaz live gigs has done an incredible job in terms of preserving the band's status. They were festival headliners all over the world without having had a real hit since 2005! I don't know enough about how this part of the music biz works, but Eleven maybe have something to do with it?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 18 Apr 2019, 14:53

Eleven may not be as bad as we think, they could just be an easy target. And yes, Gorillaz was handled brilliantly. Absolutely massive for the past 2 years. I wonder how much of that has to do with Jamie or some of his folks? I’m not even sure who that’d be, but Gorillaz has had a very active social media presence, which really suits the band. Makes me hope blur will get the same treatment, if/when they come back…!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Apr 2019, 21:24

I disagree on Gorillaz. When it came to the live shows, yes, they were handled and covered well. But both albums were handled badly. Very much like Merrie Land right now. No-one is talking about it, absolutely no-one. The same can't be said if you go back 14 years to Demon Days. EVERYONE was talking about the album because the album was constantly promoted. Things have changed a lot.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...