TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

John_d

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by John_d » 26 Nov 2018, 10:35

Yes indeed, I listened to Roger Daltry last week on Alec Baldwin's "here's the thing" podcast, and he kept talking about the "algorithm" of The Who, and how they found it so difficult to replace Keith Moon after he died.

There are a couple of songs on Merrie Land where I think the band sounds plain weird. But I also think there are several other songs on Merrie Land where the band comes together spectacularly. On The Poison Tree the drum fills are fantastic and the bass playing urgent, melodic and beautiful - a standard rock band wouldn't come close to this kind of arrangement. It's really a marvelous song. It's incredible that Damon has come up with Souk Eye and The Poison Tree within months of each other. 2 songs that bear comparison with anything else he has written. Lady Boston is also beautiful, if more than a little reminiscent of Sweet Song.

Benny0911

Post by Benny0911 » 26 Nov 2018, 14:18

In Germany Merrie Land reached 62 in the charts. What is not very good and a indicator that it just had been sold to the few hardcore fans here... but fuck that. I really love the album and in my opinion there are Damon's best songs and lyrics on it since a long long time.

stephen

Post by stephen » 26 Nov 2018, 14:44

Benny0911 wrote:In Germany Merrie Land reached 62 in the charts. What is not very good and a indicator that it just had been sold to the few hardcore fans here... but fuck that. I really love the album and in my opinion there are Damon's best songs and lyrics on it since a long long time.
Very much this.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

beats

Post by beats » 27 Nov 2018, 22:15

Seems to have dropped out the top 100 in the midweek update. That's very poor regardless of the promotion for it.

The album is excellent though.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Nov 2018, 00:12

beats wrote:Seems to have dropped out the top 100 in the midweek update. That's very poor regardless of the promotion for it.

The album is excellent though.
Regardless of the promotion? You can bet it would be higher if they did ANY promotion. Very disappointing.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Katiekate

Post by Katiekate » 28 Nov 2018, 00:16

I love the album...new poster here, long time lurker. I tried for Tyneside but the tickets went to locals way before we had a chance. I made up for it tonight by going to a semi secret show l posted about below...Hi people !!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Nov 2018, 04:43

It’s worth mentioning how GREAT the album sounds. Tony Visconti did a wonderful job.

I really hope we aren’t waiting another 12 years for their third album. Based on this album I’d be happy with no Blur for another few years if we get more albums like this one from this band and this producer. Please!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Nov 2018, 07:58

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: It's now how the album lasts and ages over the years now and to me this definitely will even improve over time... Such a damn good album indeed!
I think you are right Louie.

Bought the album in the good old HMV shop. Will need some more plays before it grows on me :mrgreen:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 28 Nov 2018, 16:58

It is a bit of a shame that the album does not get the recognition it deserves... It is definitely one of the better releases by Damon in 2010s, and it is overlooked by both some musical journalists and listeners as well. At the same time, it doesn't seem that any of the band members care about this at all, so my assumption is that it is a passion project for them, they like playing together - and everything else (albums, sales, tours) comes as a bonus. Besides, with so little promotion they surely did not spend a lot of money - so this might even be a profitable affair for them :lol: I know I have contributed by buying an album on iTunes (strange how it is already seem like an old-fashioned way in age of streaming) - so hopefully a few pennies will reach the boys :)
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Nov 2018, 22:39

This is my favorite production on a Damon album in a LONG time. It was a good idea and choice to have Stephen Street to produce TMW, but I would kill to have a blur album produced by Visconti. Especially recorded at once as a band like they did for Merrie Land. This album is so crisp. I'm considering buying some new headphones soon, and this will be the first record I listen to on them to hear it in all its glory.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Nov 2018, 08:36

aldamasta wrote:This album is so crisp
Yes, I was thinking that on my second listen. As Consigliere_11 says, I think it is a passion project for those involved.

To me it is a nice, peaceful listen.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 29 Nov 2018, 13:39

London In Stereo

thespider

Post by thespider » 29 Nov 2018, 23:27

Sorry if I sound like a naysayer, but could someone tell me a song on Merrie Land that they rate as highly as anything on GBQ's debut?

I really want to like, I'm such a huge fan of Blur and Albarn but I'm actually hating this album. :(

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 30 Nov 2018, 01:01

thespider wrote:Sorry if I sound like a naysayer, but could someone tell me a song on Merrie Land that they rate as highly as anything on GBQ's debut?

I really want to like, I'm such a huge fan of Blur and Albarn but I'm actually hating this album. :(
Ribbons is my favourite on the album, easily up there with the best from the first album.

The album is pretty different to the first one, only 1917 and The Truce of Twilight sounds like they would fit on it, so it takes a few listens to really get into it but its worth it as musically its richer than any Damon project in the last decade (and I say that as a huge Gorillaz fan).

tender

Post by tender » 30 Nov 2018, 13:49

Has this been posted here ?
Damon Albarn - The British Masters Season 4, Chapter 4

https://youtu.be/Q5z-MkBcOt0