TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 Nov 2018, 23:39

thespider wrote:So is it just me who (so far) thinks that Merrie Land is dreary bollocks?

Four listens in and it's boring the tits off me. 6/10 at best.
Must admit I'm struggling with it a little but my CD player has packed in and I'm having to listen to it through my rubbish laptop speakers.
Only two or three songs really leaping out at me so far but hopefully that will change.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 22 Nov 2018, 23:48

Promotion was too expensive?

I don't know what label they're with, but even small indie bands have posters on the tube.

They're all big names with a long history in music, they could very easily ask to be on a talk show type thing for a performance.

But ahhh the biggest thing...

The internet! It's free! When you have a massive name like Albarn does, you can change a website and get attention.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Nov 2018, 05:00

27 in the charts? Well that's what happens when there's next to no promotion. Well done.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Nov 2018, 07:00

thespider wrote:So is it just me who (so far) thinks that Merrie Land is dreary bollocks?

Agreed, can barely listen to it. Compare this to "For Tomorrow" a song about England, it's like a million miles away in quality. I used to be excited about new music from Damon, not anymore.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Nov 2018, 07:01

tom_cas1 wrote:27 in the charts? Well that's what happens when there's next to no promotion. Well done.
Shed Seven blew Damon away (top 10 new album last year in a very competitive month). :lol:

bugman

Post by bugman » 23 Nov 2018, 07:56

Sledge Hammer wrote:

Agreed, can barely listen to it. Compare this to "For Tomorrow" a song about England, it's like a million miles away in quality. I used to be excited about new music from Damon, not anymore.
Say goodbye slowly drift away to somewhere

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 23 Nov 2018, 11:44

Sledge Hammer wrote:

For Tomorrow isn’t about England. It’s about being young and living on the breadline in London. “Holding on For tomorrow” is about the hope that things will turn around.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 23 Nov 2018, 11:47

Hopefully St. George and the Blackbird will appear to download, really like this track. I have purchased the download of the album and the Hardbook edition but can't justify shelling out more for this edition for bonus tracks alone, although I would have instantly before the wife came along... :(

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Nov 2018, 16:02

Wow... "Imperial" should have been on the actual album! It recaptured the true vibe/essence of their self-title! This really featured Tony at his absolute best!

I'm conflicted on "St. George and the Blackbird"... It didn't go anywhere to me, but perhaps I need to listen to it more and it will soon grow on me.

I honestly could care less about how albums chart nowadays since the music industry is in utter disarray. It's now how the album lasts and ages over the years now and to me this definitely will even improve over time... Such a damn good album indeed!

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 23 Nov 2018, 16:25

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Wow... "Imperial" should have been on the actual album! It recaptured the true vibe/essence of their self-title! This really featured Tony at his absolute best!

I'm conflicted on "St. George and the Blackbird"... It didn't go anywhere to me, but perhaps I need to listen to it more and it will soon grow on me.

I honestly could care less about how albums chart nowadays since the music industry is in utter disarray. It's now how the album lasts and ages over the years now and to me this definitely will even improve over time... Such a damn good album indeed!
Totally agree, the album is a definite high point in his career and low album sales don’t change this.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 23 Nov 2018, 16:41

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: I honestly could care less about how albums chart nowadays since the music industry is in utter disarray. It's now how the album lasts and ages over the years now and to me this definitely will even improve over time... Such a damn good album indeed!
Record sales are, unfortunately, very important for most bands/acts (along with tour revenue). If they drop away disastrously like they appear to have done for GBQ it means they too will get dropped (by the record label), and will struggle to put out albums again in the future, and may have to disband. As a fan of the band in question, you probably could care less about that.
It's different with Damon, though. He is a multi-millionaire who is very creative and loves putting out new things, and will probably always have the means to do so, even if this means cross-subsidising from the Gorillaz.
One other aspect - if this really is the best thing he's done in 10 years (jury's still out for me), it's just a bit of a shame that so few people will get to hear it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Nov 2018, 16:59

Neal Zeal wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: I honestly could care less about how albums chart nowadays since the music industry is in utter disarray. It's now how the album lasts and ages over the years now and to me this definitely will even improve over time... Such a damn good album indeed!
Record sales are, unfortunately, very important for most bands/acts (along with tour revenue). If they drop away disastrously like they appear to have done for GBQ it means they too will get dropped (by the record label), and will struggle to put out albums again in the future, and may have to disband. As a fan of the band in question, you probably could care less about that.
It's different with Damon, though. He is a multi-millionaire who is very creative and loves putting out new things, and will probably always have the means to do so, even if this means cross-subsidising from the Gorillaz.
One other aspect - if this really is the best thing he's done in 10 years (jury's still out for me), it's just a bit of a shame that so few people will get to hear it.

One aspect though is this a is more of a project than a full-fledged band really. 11 years between releases, two of the members are 60+. I don't know regardless of how well this album charted/sold that they would have immediately gone back to the studio to record another album. To me, Damon felt he owed the other three to do a follow-up album and feel much obliged in good faith to do so. If he really was thinking of sales, he would have made it more commercial sounding and compromise this wonderful body of work! I also never foresaw them embarking on a full-scale tour. They will just do more intimate gigs and some festival dates.

This and "TMW" are the 2 best albums Damon has been in involved with in the past 10 years! I still have this feeling that Blur will reform sometime in 2019 and maybe offer some new material.

stephen

Post by stephen » 23 Nov 2018, 17:16

Neal Zeal wrote:
So...sales are important but because it's Damon it doesn't matter.

Glad we cleared that up.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 23 Nov 2018, 17:53

stephen wrote:
Neal Zeal wrote:
So...sales are important but because it's Damon it doesn't matter.

Glad we cleared that up.
Yes, indeed. They are very important to a conventional band who are dependent on that one band's output.
But the sales of a multi-millionaire pop star's side-project won't really affect whether he can put out more albums in the future.
Surely that's easy enough to understand?
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 23 Nov 2018, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 23 Nov 2018, 17:54

Well the results are finally in and Merrie Land enters this week's album chart at...
number 31!
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/