TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 21 Nov 2018, 16:19

stephen wrote:1. The album has had a very mixed reception.
Which one?

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 16:20

TripleJay97 wrote:
Which one?
The latest one.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 21 Nov 2018, 16:29

stephen wrote:The latest one.
Are you sure?

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 21 Nov 2018, 16:46

It seems really well received. Stars from various newspapers and major blogs we've collected so far:

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 16:47

3/5 from the guardian. A paper that you would expect to be on Damon's side.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... tty-empire

We can carry on sharing reviews all day if you want :lol: .

This is the rise in Spotify...which coincidentally started in 2008.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... &q=spotify

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 16:49

You would expect some of those 3's to be 4/5's though. Especially from the left leaning papers which makes it even more confusing.

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 16:53

It's not uncommon for an album to be released under the radar and then 6 months time PR have a change of heart and their machine kicks in, I just don't think I've seen it in a Damon Albarn album.

Some at the top of my head were Travis' the man who. Royksopp's debut album...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 Nov 2018, 17:15

2. They stopped buying records and started streaming music.
Yes, there has been a general drop-off in album sales (but not of that magnitude) and there's no reason why it should affect GBQ anymore than it affected any other act including Blur whose last album still went to number 1. The last GBQ album hit number 2 - for Merrie Land to miss the top 20 altogether is very odd.

As for a 'very mixed reception', if you look at Metacritic which balances all the reviews, it's on 77/100 which is actually 1 better than the first album.
http://www.metacritic.com/person/the-go ... -the-queen
80/100 is considered to be 'universal acclaim' so 77 is pretty impressive.

Even Damon's relatively duff solo album hit number 2. That also had slightly worse reviews than Merrie Land. Why didn't these mixed reviews and people streaming music keep that one out of the top 20?

In terms of PR there isn't actually that much you can do after an album's come out, other than release singles which radio stations think are sufficiently good to put on their A list. The last Taylor Swift album bombed (compared to the previous one) despite having one of the biggest PR campaigns in the industry.

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 17:36

That is strange because his solo album completely passed me by.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 21 Nov 2018, 18:08

Neal Zeal wrote:
Yes, there has been a general drop-off in album sales (but not of that magnitude)
There has. Last year Humanz was the 23th best selling album of 2017, with 500,000 pure copies shipped worldwide. Album sales have dropped off completely, streaming is now of far greater importance.

Or to put it further into perspective Think Tank sold 1.5 million worldwide in its first year, The Magic Whip 350k.

Neal Zeal wrote: and there's no reason why it should affect GBQ anymore than it affected any other act including Blur whose last album still went to number 1.
Blur are a british institution with a dedicated fanbase, no one knows who GBQ are, they were a sideproject, there is not the same investment. They made one album, and while it was excellent it was not well known. It will take time for them to reestablish themselves. To top it off they are a 50 year old and two OAP's, many people into rock music are simply not going to be interested.

Neal Zeal wrote: The last GBQ album hit number 2 - for Merrie Land to miss the top 20 altogether is very odd.
Not really, Demon Days was still huge when GBQ was released. There was far more interest in Damon.

Neal Zeal wrote: Even Damon's relatively duff solo album hit number 2. That also had slightly worse reviews than Merrie Land. Why didn't these mixed reviews and people streaming music keep that one out of the top 20?
Damon has name recognition, GBQ don't. Its the same reason Liam easily outsold Beady Eye.

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 21 Nov 2018, 18:16

Neal Zeal wrote:Even Damon's relatively duff solo album hit number 2. That also had slightly worse reviews than Merrie Land. Why didn't these mixed reviews and people streaming music keep that one out of the top 20?
Promotion for Everyday Robots started like 4 months before the release and the job was done by Warner Music. Merrie Land is a bit like Rocket Juice & The Moon - released relatively cheaply through a small record label with little marketing.

Also, maybe people just aren't hungry enough for a new Damon release at the moment (he has released 5 albums since 2014, the last one in June).

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 21 Nov 2018, 20:23

My deluxe box (not the crazy expensive one) arrived today.

I have my download code but absolutely no idea where to dl the bonus tracks from, anyone sussed that out yet?

bugman

Post by bugman » 21 Nov 2018, 21:32

dougharrison wrote:My deluxe box (not the crazy expensive one) arrived today.

I have my download code but absolutely no idea where to dl the bonus tracks from, anyone sussed that out yet?
im still waiting to get mine. try search. if you have still a problem to find a bonus tracks maybe write an @ to the company ?

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan » 21 Nov 2018, 21:39

Same here. A bit of an oversight. I’ve @ TGTB&TQ account.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Nov 2018, 21:40

stephen wrote:
bugman wrote:
stephen wrote:No one buys physical releases anymore.
what? i buy around 50 records (or more) in a year. i can't imagine that i don't have physical album of my fav artists.
You are of an incredibly small minority.
I think there is a large minority who buy CDs & vinyl. There remains something definitive about them, with the artwork and sleeve credits etc.

Collections have been built up over many years, and the owners take pride in them, use them for reference etc.

I can understand a present-day teenager starting out with streaming services (and I don't blame them) but older generations are likely to have consideration for the physical object.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."