TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

nds34

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by nds34 » 20 Nov 2018, 22:45

Should I wait outside for them then?

rich

Post by rich » 20 Nov 2018, 23:07

nds34 wrote:I can't do it online because I don't have a bank card but can I just pop in too the shop on the day to get it or tomorrow? Or shall I ring them up?
I would give them a ring ASAP tomorrow - as these things usually sell out quickly - and explain your predicament...

Good luck :)

UPDATE - the signing is now sold out :(

nds34

Post by nds34 » 21 Nov 2018, 00:14

Should I wait outside for them afterwards or not?

rich

Post by rich » 21 Nov 2018, 01:12

nds34 wrote:Should I wait outside for them afterwards or not?
Might be worth a shot if you can get there by 7pm - up to you! I guess it's no different to hanging about after a gig - and you'll be competing with fewer people!
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/events/ro ... -the-queen

nds34

Post by nds34 » 21 Nov 2018, 01:27

Would security let me and are you going and what time does it finished?

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 21 Nov 2018, 04:06

Yeah the marketing for this was terrible. It's okay to just put out The Now Now or The Fall because they're minimally made efforts and frankly dodgy blows to Damon Albarn's discography. But this. This is a great record and it'll definitely appeal to the people who'd know any or all of the members (which is already a selling point enough).

As I said, they should have hyped this up a lot more with a viral campaign, released a single, done a couple of tracks on Jools, do Jonathon Ross, put out the second single. Then released some live dates (the tiny club ones – builds hype). Album drops a couple o weeks later and around this time, really really push The Poison Tree and try and do tele, radio appearances around here.

Big gigs (Barrowlands, Manchester Academy, Empress Ballroom Blackpool, Roundhouse) in February.

I like the idea of them keeping this as a UK-exclusive thing though.

And tbh the artwork is appallingly shitty and corny and the video... it's okay to do it once, but it's a pointless, boring, overrun gimmick by video two let alone 11. There's so much potential for this album, it's so shrouded and sopping with imagery and all of it is rich (and cost effective...). Such a shame.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Nov 2018, 05:51

vitekm wrote: as for possible Blur activity in foreseeable future, let's not forget Dave's obligations as councillor in Norfolk County Council until 2021. He seems to be very serious about his duties.
This is true, but I am certain that Dave is free on weekends for gigs planned ahead in advance and also have enough time to lay down drum demos for future recordings from time to time. Blur will never ever be any of their full time jobs again, which is difficult for me to come to terms with even if Damon is doing great w/TGTBTQ, Graham and his solo work, Alex's cheese/farm/celebrity etc etc etc career, and Dave emphasizing his political aspirations.

It seems each of the four are warm to the idea of working together again and I honestly wouldn't be shocked by mid March 2019 we get a complete surprise. You heard it here first! :D

nds34

Post by nds34 » 21 Nov 2018, 07:20

Will security let me wait for them after the rough trade east show?

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 09:02

OK.

So we are saying approx 2,500 people bought the record. Let's say the CD costs £10. That's £25,000 turnover for a physical record. I have no idea how much it costs to design/print/create the digital disc.

What kind of campaign would you have liked to have seen to warrant those sales?
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

nds34

Post by nds34 » 21 Nov 2018, 10:01

Can I wait for them after the rough trade gig?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Nov 2018, 11:14

Pavlich wrote:Yeah the marketing for this was terrible. It's okay to just put out The Now Now or The Fall because they're minimally made efforts and frankly dodgy blows to Damon Albarn's discography. But this. This is a great record and it'll definitely appeal to the people who'd know any or all of the members (which is already a selling point enough).

As I said, they should have hyped this up a lot more with a viral campaign, released a single, done a couple of tracks on Jools, do Jonathon Ross, put out the second single. Then released some live dates (the tiny club ones – builds hype). Album drops a couple o weeks later and around this time, really really push The Poison Tree and try and do tele, radio appearances around here.

Big gigs (Barrowlands, Manchester Academy, Empress Ballroom Blackpool, Roundhouse) in February.

I like the idea of them keeping this as a UK-exclusive thing though.

And tbh the artwork is appallingly shitty and corny and the video... it's okay to do it once, but it's a pointless, boring, overrun gimmick by video two let alone 11. There's so much potential for this album, it's so shrouded and sopping with imagery and all of it is rich (and cost effective...). Such a shame.
Amen.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 Nov 2018, 15:09

stephen wrote:OK.

So we are saying approx 2,500 people bought the record. Let's say the CD costs £10. That's £25,000 turnover for a physical record. I have no idea how much it costs to design/print/create the digital disc.

What kind of campaign would you have liked to have seen to warrant those sales?
I guess the thinking is that had there been a bigger campaign, it would have sold a lot more.
I expect nearer to 10,000 will have bought it by the end of the week (instead of the 20,000 I predicted).
In more positive news, I've just seen the first 5 star reviews! It's in the new issue of Classic Pop magazine.

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 15:57

What I am trying to get at, and what people clearly don't understand is that there has to be a "goldilocks zone" where there's a right amount of money poured into a project to promote it to gain the maximum amount of returns. It's simple maths. And I for one is a massive fan of spending to save/generate money. It's what I do.

Unfortunately we can only guess what amounts these are as fans (not someone with the required data but even then it's only predictions).

Now as fans we tend to think that because it's to our taste that everyone must enjoy it and do what we do (purchase the CD). Now we know this clearly isn't the case, it's no good saying 'Well I bought the CD.'

I would have loved it if they had carried on promoting the Gorillaz like they did in Phase 2, it does feel like they could have carried on with the Global brand. I've often questioned why they no longer created the music videos they were doing (2-J mentioned somewhere that the video animation was too expensive). So it's not like I don't have the same feeling's towards promotion.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 Nov 2018, 16:13

stephen wrote:What I am trying to get at, and what people clearly don't understand is that there has to be a "goldilocks zone" where there's a right amount of money poured into a project to promote it to gain the maximum amount of returns. It's simple maths. And I for one is a massive fan of spending to save/generate money. It's what I do.

Unfortunately we can only guess what amounts these are as fans (not someone with the required data but even then it's only predictions).

Now as fans we tend to think that because it's to our taste that everyone must enjoy it and do what we do (purchase the CD). Now we know this clearly isn't the case, it's no good saying 'Well I bought the CD.'

I would have loved it if they had carried on promoting the Gorillaz like they did in Phase 2, it does feel like they could have carried on with the Global brand. I've often questioned why they no longer created the music videos they were doing (2-J mentioned somewhere that the video animation was too expensive). So it's not like I don't have the same feeling's towards promotion.
Yes, everything needs to be seen within its context but the first GBQ album sold around 200,000 copies.
The follow-up has had great reviews and most of us seem to be enjoying it as much as (if not more than) the first which was also a big critical success.
On the current trajectory, the new album won't even go Silver (60,0000) so where are all those people who bought and (presumably) loved the first one? Do they even realise there's a new one out?
So it's not really an issue of us deludedly thinking that 'everyone must enjoy it' - it's more about what's happened to all the people who bought the first one.
A v catchy (if there is one) A-listed single on Radio 2 would make a big difference.

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Nov 2018, 16:18

1. The album has had a very mixed reception.
2. They stopped buying records and started streaming music.